Intel Desktop Roadmap Confirms Broadwell & Skylake desktop SKUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 5, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. waxbytes

waxbytes Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    While desktop Broadwell will probably be a good chip it seem to be quickly swamped by Skylake.
    Difficult to see a reason to go with Broadwell even if it's big improvement.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    To use the same board. Broadwell will use LGA 1150, Skylake moves on to 1151.

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Well this is good news for anyone on 1150 socket u can upgrade to 14nm without having to buy a whole new system.

5. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Table seems like its Misaligned. The Cache values are added in the wrong column :)

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still no word on Skylake-E. Hmm.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    3.1Ghz for i5 5675C and 3.3Ghz for i7-5775C? You got to be kidding me. Skylake cant come fast enough.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Notice how the Skylake lists show memory as DDR3-1600, but the Broadwell lists, on Socket 1151, show the memory as DDR4 2133 or/DDR3L 1600.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Are you sure? :3eyes:
    Did you maybe mix it up a little by accident, since Broadwell (1150) does indeed list as DDR3, and Skylake as LGA1151 does support both DDR4 and DDR3.

10. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Might be tempted to go for a top end Broadwell chip since it'll fit in my board. Hopefully they'll overclock like mad being 14nm.

11. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Am not really getting the high TDP of all the chips? Will wait for "Skylake-E" anyway, but still I was hoping for a much improved TDP..

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just because it will fit the socket, doesn't mean the board will actually support it.

Unless Intel starts using mobile designs, you're really not going to see much lower TDP for a desktop chip.

Btw: Unless you're designing cooling solutions or pre-built systems, the TDP is completely meaningless.

13. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    I will keep my 2600k , I really really really want to change it , except I would like to see visible performance gain. to change only for nice motherboard is a reason but not too strong

14. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Price may be lower this time round and/or they are going after AMD's APU/GPU performance or a combination of both... Can't see why else would Intel have these chips out.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  15. Rage

Rage Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 2GB
    I assume typo?

[​IMG]

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Same.

Might actually pick up a 6 core this summer. At least I'd be somewhat safe if Windows 10 and DX12 would suddenly make extra cores more useful.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can relate to that way of thinking about hexacores and win10/dx12.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I made the mistake of mixing up the Broadwell with Skylake. Stupid Intel releasing two CPU's at the same time! If you have LGA1150 you're probably more likely to want to just replace the motherboard as well and get Skylake anyway :). It seems they're only releasing Broadwell in the hope that people on LGA1150 will upgrade (which they will), instead of forfeiting the work they did on it.

I wonder how many people will accidentally buy Broadwell with a socket 1151 motherboard? I'm sure in store they'd mostly correct you, but online, that's a different matter...

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    1156 (have one)
    1155 (have one)
    1150 (have two)
    1151 (coming soon)

I miss the days of long lived sockets like 775. I have never had so much PC stuff that isn't compatible.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There is a balance between the lifespan of the socket and not holding back the CPU because of the socket (or chipset). In Intel's case, they are just doing this because they are dominant, and potentially holding back chipset support for later sockets just to have an excuse to claim you need a new socket.

AMD on the other hand, probably went the opposite way and kept the AM3+ compatibility thing way too long, which was probably detrimental to them.

Cannonlake would surely be supported on the same socket as Skylake...