GrooveShark possibly fined 736 million USD for sharing 5000 songs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Bankruptcy is not what it appears to be. What monies are owed and wiped out/forgiven is deemed income by the IRS. Bankruptcy does not get one out of owing taxes. So still a penalty just not as much.

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Like the EU courts have made sense on some of the same issues it's more an issue of the same legal arguments used over and over again then precedents are set.It is then easier for the next company to go for a cash grab.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Common sense doesn't = the written law. If the law is written a certain way, the judges have a duty to uphold the law regardless of how stupid it is. Then if its found the law is no longer valid, there needs to be a push to fix the law.

4. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    What are you talking about..The ruling where the US said that an IP isn't good enough to trace a person? That one?

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Exactly, they're not making much sense either, that's why I said it's swapping over.

Which again puts the laws to be not of common sense. Does that make it better, just because it's written down? ;)

6. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    Remember in the 1980s and 1990s when people used to dub cassettes and movies for their family and friends and nobody gave two squirts of piss?! Hell, the ability to dub a CD or cassette was a selling feature for years with rental places often selling blank tapes alongside the latest releases!

I guess back in those days there were better people to hassle and sue.

:flip2:

7. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    It is a lot easier for a group of people to download music or a movie than it was making copies of tapes and VHS. If 5 friends wanted a copy of your Terminator VHS tape, ok, 5 playbacks at 90 minutes.....they'll be done in 7 or 8 hours.

8. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    And they have now shut down their service. You can see their farewell message on the website http://grooveshark.com/

9. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    They have to hand over everything.....wtf man, that's not cool smh

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If it got them out of the $736m fine, Id probably take the deal too

11. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Let's hope so!

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's ridiculous, this anti-piracy fines cr4p, there's no way the artists have lost out on that much money from people sharing a few MP3s - for one simple fact, the people downloading them, were never going to buy them anyway

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Let me get this straight, pirating games bad...pirating music and movies is ok. What kind of inconsistent logic is that. Making backup copies for yourself has always been legal. Plus it is impossible to even come up with a ballpark figure of lost revenue. That is why this is considered a fine. Apparently the fines are not steep enough since this kind of stuff still occurs out in front of everyone's eyes. It is there fault for thinking individuals would not take advantage of the freedom they were granted. Laws exist to keep honest people honest. Criminals will always find a way to skirt the law.

14. rta

rta Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    Wait...how much?

Because from what I understand *Spotify itself pays only $0.007 per play.

I mean, I saw this coming from a mile away with GrooveShark but that ruling is insane. This music industry is so full of hypocrites it's mind boggling.

* http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-25217353

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Same old same old.

Only this time Goliath wins one over but David will be back to rule the day once again.

I just think the music industry wanted GS for itself. Don't be surprised to see all GS hard work reskinned, renamed and back out with some sort of fees.

16. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    I once saw an infographic put together by RIAA that claimed that piracy cost the industry X number of dollars. I don't remember the exact number, but I remember they had based it on the possible court damages of $150k per song. The number was more money than was in circulation in the entire world. That tells you how completely ridiculous all of this is.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    No. What it shows one is how profitable pirating is. Those fines may be a staggering amount yet it has no effect. What it also shows is that amount was not paid to that tune or one would see more companies that have more cash on hand than governments, like Apple.

18. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
  19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Calculate that in average CD price where those songs are split up on CD's, then check how many downloads of each CD there has been made, 700 million is probably a bargain.

Another thing is, that 5000 songs in no way covers all the records available on GrooveShark, which means that only a few copyright holders take part in this lawsuit.

To all that defend pirating, if you want a song and you can't afford it, is it that hard to live without it instead of stealing it?
    After some while the song/record is probably for sale totally legal somewhere.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Worst bull**** argument I have seen so far.
    You really live in France?