gta 5 crossfire does not work properrly!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fullban, Apr 14, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Interesting and strange results cause other crossfire users as AMDMatt (quad 290x 8GB VRAM)improve the game experience and solves stuttering disabling MSAA. ?¿?

Maybe he has this problem due to have 4x8 GB VRAM GPUs and relative low real RAM (16 GB).

Who knows for sure?

Which are your graphic settings in-game?

Are you at 1080p?What about FXAA and advanced graphic settings?

32 GB PF seems to be overkill and unneeded with 2x4GB VRAM crossfire and 16 GB of real RAM.

Can you post your commited bytes and % commited charge?

What about benchmarks results min/average/max from My Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V\benchmarks file?

2. frogmum

frogmum Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    I'm playing at 1440p fxaa is on, these first test had advanced settings off. I will test the rest when I get home from work.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks.

If you are doing the benchmark with advanced settings turned off it's very possible that total committed bytes is lower than your real 16 GB RAM and PF is not requested at all using this game.

You'll see the total commited RAM in Task Manager>Performance TAB and commited bytes % of total avalaible RAM (physical RAM + virtualRAM (PF)if there is any) in resource monitor> Memory TAB.

Maxed settings is a different situation and 16 GB of RAM without PF is only enough if the system is a bare minimum installation without software using ram in background processes like security suite or other services.

In a"normal" main OS used everyday some apps will be on background and 16GB alone will run of avalaible bytes to be commited and low memory error will appear as a "reminder". :(

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  4. frogmum

frogmum Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Well, here are my results with advanced settings on max. There was a slight stutter. Let me know if this is not the right info you need.

First run here
    Frames Per Second (Higher is better) Min, Max, Avg
    Pass 0, 2.522534, 127.542534, 40.748447

[​IMG]

Second run
    Frames Per Second (Higher is better) Min, Max, Avg
    Pass 0, 1.303313, 99.207901, 42.738808
    Check it out:[​IMG]

I'd rather be able to play with msaa off or at 2x but only with on 8x can I get rid of the stutter. Hopefully rockstar will fix it. I've beaten the game already so I don't mind taking a break for awhile.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

5. fixel

fixel Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Just registered to confirm that setting MSAA to 8x removes the stutter. I'd rather run at a lower AA though, I value FPS and frametimes over IQ.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks.

I wish to have time to finish (or even play!) this game.

Right now i can't stop playing Bloodborne in my PS4. :D

I think the GTA V test as a synthetic benchmark is not given the real picture (performance) of crossfire (and SLI) usage but jet scene.

However in single GPU benchmark is very close to what we can see in game (performance wise).

Driving or running in the game or simply staring the horizon from a roof top gives lower FPS and GPU usage compared to what we see in benchmark tests.

In your Task Manager the commited memory (14.7 of 26.9 GB) is lower than your physical RAM (16 GB) so your PF is not used at all and makes no difference in this case.

In Resource Monitor if you expand the right vertical panel it will show you the graph with the "commit charge %", the left horizontal ones will show you detail about individual processes memory usage.

You have an example here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5057012&postcount=314

The commit charge % can be calculated by the values in Task Manager "Commited" but it's practical to see the commit charge in graph from resource monitor.

Looking at the low commited RAM it's showing i guess that you have some in-game graphic settings deactivated or at lower settings or your Windows 8(.1) is VERY CLEAN: a lot of disabled services and/or very few processes in the background.

In AB i see the hardware monitor is showing the right number for "GPU1 Memory Usage, MB" this value could lead to confusion to some because when we use more than one GPU it represents the total amount of VRAM in all the used GPUs.

In your case of 4096x2= 8192 as it shows "7734" it's using 3867 MB of VRAM per GPU.

Your computer have higher VRAM and PF than the default values in AB so graphs (not values) are maxed and not showed properly.

If you want to see the correct graphs for VRAM and Pagefile and not only the right figures you must set your real max values in AB monitor settings cause yours are right now at default limits (3072 VRAM and 8192 Pagefile).

I set my values to 32768 for 32 GB of PF and i "forget" to set it to 8192 for VRAM so it's still at 4096 as it was when i had a single GPU in this example:

[​IMG]

The two 8 GB RAM sticks i was waiting arrived this morning so i will be able to start testing in the next days with 32 GB or RAM. :)

7. frogmum

frogmum Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Interesting. I changed those values to be correct now. This is a 2 week old windows 8.1 install.

There was a patch today and after installing it I didn't notice any difference until I re-verified the game files with steam. It seems that with x2 MSAA there isn't any stuttering in-game while GPU usage isn't as high as it was with 8x. If there is its hard to notice. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You are not going crazy. :)

Stutter occurs when frames are not delivered at a somewhat constant rate but with very fast variation.

It's very possible to have lower GPU usage and higher FPS but with a constant performance and delivery at MSAA X2 so no stutter.

In MSAA X8 GPU usage could be higher and FPS lower with a very fast change in GPU usage and FPS so stutter appears.

To be able to "see" the stutter in the AB monitor graphs as you can see it in the image you must lower the value of "Hardware polling period (in milliseconds)" from the 2500 default (2.5 seconds) to 1000(1.0 seconds) or even lower.

If you do this you will see the fast variation in GPU usage and FPS who leads to stuttering in the image.

9. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    [​IMG]

This is my GPU usage in crossfire when running the benchmark.
    16GB pagefile on SSD made no difference at all, but 14GB of it is used.
    16GB RAM of which 6GB is used.
    VRAM is around 5500mb for both GPUs.

Stuttering to hell.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Don't believe in the page file reported as an important data.

The important data is the commited value from Task Manager -performance-memory tab and the commit charge from resource monitor.

The commited bytes is the memory amount who is reserved right now for current processes, PF size is only a space who could be reserved or used or not.

The page file current size means nothing.

How much is your polling period in AB? 500?

The peaks and valleys on the graph are crazy!!

Can you please add FPS graph to the pic to show the "full picture"?

Last edited: May 1, 2015

11. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
  12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  13. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    I'm also keen to know if AMD are actually working on further GTA V drivers or if they have considered it done? Hopefully the fact that many of the well publicized GTA benchmarks have pointed out the serious crossfire stuttering will mean they keep working at it...

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I read the link AMDMatt posted and maybe he tried to help in the wrong thread.

The thread about low right screen corruption is this one:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398556

The thread subject we are discussing here is specifically about crossfire problems and i don't see a single word about crossfire in the "solution info" linked.

I guess the only "solution" by now is the usual AMD fix in case of crossfire problems:

Disable crossfire!

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  15. gaytronrere

gaytronrere Guest

GPU:
    2x 7970 3GB
    I am also trying to resolve the crossfire issues with GTA 5. I've already sold two of the four 7970 cards I had just to get rid of half of the issues I've had with most games. Quadfire is just not even useable in most situations, which sucks. It was quite an investment. :-/

That being said, I have my own issue with crossfire where it crashes the game once I go to the pause menu. With crossfire disabled it does not do this. Stuttering is obviously an issue prior to the crash so I just choose to not use crossfire. I have 32GB of quad channel RAM so I don't think it's an issue of not enough memory.

Rockstar did a piss poor job on the port plain and simple.

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Or play another game?

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Of course. :)

There is also a universal "fix" to solve VSR, crossfire and almost all Gameworks games problems:

Buy a Nvidia GPU or two for SLI.

LOL

Last time i checked Nvidia have support for 32 GPU for DSR (his own downsampling solution) ALL have selectable resolutions INCLUDING 4K AND SLI.

I don't see this kind of support in the "red camp":

- VSR work is 5 (?) GPUs

- 4K VSR is ONLY avalaible in ONE GPU: 285

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Is there a chance that the game has a non-friendly multigpu engine? As far as I understand both camps have more or less the same issues.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's very possible that multi-GPU support in GTA V is s*** for Nvidia and AMD GPUs.

The best "solutions" to fix stutter and low GPU usage in AMD are:

- Disable completely MSAA

- Disable crossfire

At least in Nvidia it's possible to disable completely the MSAA using multi-GPUs an use downsampling up to 4K to get a brute force AA in a wide selection of 32 Nvidia GPUs supported by their drivers.

In AMD this is not possible even with modded drivers cause crossfire is broke in games, we can only do this in the UBERPOWERFULL 285. (I was trying to be sarcastic...)

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Point taken.