GTA 5 Online PC: confusion as Rockstar starts banning mods

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    Since mods themselves are supported there should also be something (added) to monitor them - even get a simple list of installed mods.
    So when joining an online server etc there'd be for example a warning informing you of not allowed installed mods. Or disable them in-game. Add some servers with more loose restrictions on mods.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    What does that actually mean? If I happen to run GTA5, and have purely optical and graphics mods installed (shaders, or soon to see car mods for example), I will get banned and won't be able to play GTA5 anymore?
    Or is it just related to the moment I try to join an online game mode or a server? Because I would not want to play GTA5 online, so I wouldn't care about it at all.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    ^ Its just online as far as i know, can use MODs for single player offline fine.

5. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    A mod that alters the FOV beyond the values provided by the game is a cheat in the online mode since it gives and advantage over normal players therefore it is no wonder it was banned.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ah, good then. No problem for me then.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Only reason why I do not agree with this is because there are other games that let you custom set your FOV. While I understand GTA V is not one of those games, having a different set FOV most times is not to get an advantage, but it looks better on the eyes.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Most competitive games won't let you custom set your FOV.

I do think the FOV maximum in GTA V is too low atm, it looks like it's 75 to me, but at the same time I would be kind of annoyed if I was going up against people with 90/100 because they are using a hack or something.

I think the solution here is for Rockstar to just add 90 FOV as the max.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Fast pace ones such as QIII, Q4, or even CSS let you change FOV.

10. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Well in GTA you can tap v twice and go into 3rd person mode so extra FOV in 1swt person still puts you at a visual disadvantage

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    The difference being It's available for all to use in the options menu in those games, your average joe who has no interest in modding GTA V will be left at a disadvantage.

Unreal Tournament 2004 could be modded to allow for a higher than standard FOV and that was banned for competitive/ladder games to the point where the anticheat would pickup on it and ban you instantly.

Personally I feel mods should be confined to single player.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I second this

13. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    I agree with this - no mods in online.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah but in those games you can do it without a hack. Like if the option is available to change the FOV to any arbitrary number, built into the game itself, fine.

In GTA you need to specifically download a 3rd party file to change it. Which is unfair to people who don't know about the 3rd party file, or don't have access, or in this case you could possibly be banned for it and don't want to take the risk.

Either Rockstar should build the FOV changer into the game and allow any number, or it should be removed/restricted. I think banning people for FOV changes is a little extreme, but I do think it should be a black and white issue and not "well we will let this slide and not other things".

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If I would be R* I would ban all mods for online, story mode should be the playground for mods.

16. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    There is a fov changer in game, what you on about? Only going above the max value set by rockstar is when you need a 3rd party app that will get you banned.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They should open a "Mods allowed" server, and let people do what they like in that

Keep the genuine servers for vanilla players

18. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    OMG! that would be mayhem!!! lol!!!

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    There is no FOV slider for first-person mode in the game.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, it is OK. I remember FEAR not banning hackers, but allowing them to play forever only with other hackers.

It is proper solution, because people paid for game and its content is now blocked. Allowing cheaters to play with cheaters and modders to play with modders will allow people to enjoy game in way they want to.

(Btw, i do not have GTA 5, so I do not know how serious offenses are done with mods, but still there are better ways to handle this.)