Download & Discuss AMD Catalyst 15.4 Beta Driver for Windows OS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Not sure on 21:9, but 28:5 works fine in my case with that software mod.

I can go from 5040x900 (from 3x 1600x900 monitors + bezel comp in Eyefinity) to 8064x1440.

2. admile5

admile5 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Well 3x16:9 is still 16:9, the problem is that on 21:9 you still got only 16:9 options like 3200x1800. The software mod on the other hand is limited to 2720x max on Hawaii.

3. admile5

admile5 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Aaaaand speaking of features i'm also interested in whether AMD is working on:
    - proper UI resizing with VSR like in Gedosato, so that the text and everything wouldn't get smaller with higher resolution.
    - good quality(higher than MLAA) post-processing AA that works globally in x86/x64 and DX/Mantle games. MLAA became too obsolete and practically unusable due of its text/UI destortion effect and low efficiency compared to even FXAA
    - Ambient occlusion option in CCC.

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Asking for new features is free and i would like to have access to the many posibilities that GeDoSaTo gives specially the option to freely select the resolution (ANY DOWNSAMPLING RES) in AMD drivers but i know it's not realistic to expect something like this comes true.

I use GeDoSaTo, it's a great software downsampling solution for DX9 games and for Pillars of Eternity (DX11) but things are not so easy as it seems.

Even in the case the game is DX9, proper downsampling not always occurs without shrinking in-game menus and HUD overlay.

This possibility may requires per game settings profile to be able to apply specific adjusts to mouse position (cursor) and to manage the HUD overlay when playing (if it's posible).

5. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    Yeah, I found that is an Asus 280x model problem. ATM I'm artifact free pushing up GPU fan speed at 55% and case fan speed (68°c).

nevermind I can only delay it :(

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. czar

czar Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 290/4096 MB
    This latest driver [AMD Catalyst 15.4 Beta] seems pretty solid and fixed some issues and crashing I had with GTAV (notability i was crashing while running the benchmark w/ 15.3.) Seems like a solid 60fps VSR enabled (on a 1080)

Settings:
    ambient occlusion high
    anistropic filtering x16
    DirectX version 11
    distance scaling 100%
    FXAA on
    Grass quality high
    msaa off
    Particles Very high
    population density 100%
    population variety 100%
    Reflection quality very high
    resolution 2560x1440
    shader very high
    shadow high
    soft shadows AMD chs
    tessellation high
    textures very high
    water quality normal

*edit, corrected the wording, new for latest. :bang:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    What new drivers?

15.4 drivers are from 04/13 one day before GTA V launch on PC.

AFIK there is no such "new drivers".

8. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    15.4 Beta is the latest driver, isn't it? That's what he meant.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I understood it was.

@czar

I only wanted to remark there is no "newer" driver since GTA V launch so it's not possible to use a "newer" driver than the last available since launch and get better performance with benchmarks and other things as you said.

No pun intended. :)

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Latest is a better word :)

11. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Tried GTA 5 on the Win 10 with the Windows Update driver and noticed the following: AMD CHS are not buggy so it really is just driver related and the game seems to be forced to empty memory, using 2,3-2,4GB instead of 3,4GB which leads to a lot of stuttering in the city which eventually makes the game crash. So in a way this driver was actually optimized for GTA in the sense at least is not crashing.

12. Ymirok

Ymirok Guest

GPU:
    R9 270X 2gb VRAM
    I'm not sure what it's called, but my drivers keep giving up sometimes. Most of the time they won't recover and I have to kill the power to my computer. It doesn't happen in any games, only when watching videos that utilize Flash.

Hasn't happened before until I changed drivers. Most likely a coincidence. I think I'll roll back to the previous ones.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This is interesting.

I also noticed the game more fluid in W10 (crossfire here), it hasn't more fps, it's more stable and with less stutter.

Do you feel AMD CHS looks better or more fluid than "softest"?

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The first one is not really an option for driver related stuff. It would create such a compatibility mess that it wouldn't be worth the time.
    The second one I'm all for. My vote goes to temporal SMAA 2tx, or whatever technique Crytek used in Ryse. I would be all in for that, and it shouldn't be that hard to implement.
    The third one you can have with RadeonPro, but it would be nice to see official support.

15. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Maybe it was for you with this driver and not the DirectX 12 one?
    Also with the W10 driver the game just crashes if I try to turn on NVidia PCSS instead of bugged shadows.
    AMD CHS looks just a tad better but the fps drop is not worth it. Also all the shadows actually look bad because the draw distance is so low for them, like a 2007 game. Walking around I can see shadows increasing resolution around me in a very noticeable way.
    I find it weird the game is better for you on Win10 since that OS still has debug options activated which means it uses 500-600mb more ram than 8.1 and also steals some CPU cycles. Was using build 10061 btw, the Windows seemed quite bugged in itself, autohiding taskbar, crashing explorer, bugged small icons etc.

16. MSIOCGenie

MSIOCGenie Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    Hey Matt I'd like to report what seems to be a card specific issue related to drivers. I built a PC for a friend, with 4690K and a R9 270X, and since he only plays CS these days I reckoned it was better to overdo the CPU. Anyway, he reported a lot of freezing when playing CS. So I took the computer to my place for a week and ran it like crazy. Benchmarks, burn tests, memtest, demanding games, you name it. No freezes at all, not even in CS. So at least the hardware part of the card seems fine.

I tell him it seems to be fine, and he starts playing again. Same thing, freezes all over the place. Eventually we solve it, by uninstalling his GPU drivers. At the time I believe he was running 15.3. It seems like any driver past 14.11.2 makes the game crash, especially when playing online. Only in CS GO though, which kind of made me sceptical, perhaps it was a CS issue, it did work at my place. So I wasn't really sure, and he was happy either way even running with old drivers.

Then, my second friend for whom I built a PC, starts having the same issues. His PC is more of a budget build, they share no components except for the GPU model (270X), they do however both run Intel CPU's. This guy has an i3-4160. Anyway, I find it hard to believe that this is a coincidence. I've told him to uninstall drivers and download 14.11.2 to see if that solves the issue. I will report back if it solves it for him too. In the meantime, perhaps you could let the right people know about this issue? I mean it's a pretty serious one, the 270X at least used to be pretty popular for budget PC's, and let's not even get into the popularity of CS in the PC gaming community.

To clarify, they both play Counter Strike: Global Offensive.

Edit: I've also found various threads with the same issue, but they didn't seem to find any solutions. So it would be marvelous if AMD could reproduce the issue and maybe fix it.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It doesn't matter DX 12 supported driver or not, the game is DX 11.

I didn't try to use Nvidia PCSS i don't expect it to work on AMD or work very bad.

I need to test more with soft and softest but AMD CHS looks better for me in W10 less stutter with maybe the same or lower fps.

500 or 600 MB more of RAM usage doesn't make a big difference with 16 GB with some PF activated and an average CPU has room to loose some cycles without any impact in performance with this game.

It must work better in your PC with 24 GB even without PF.

Yes, W10 is still in apha i'm trying to update to 10061 from 10041 and it failed three times.

Edit: There is a big difference in GPU performance using single GPU vs crossfire, single GPU is better used (% GPU usage) than crossfire and has less stutter but obviously less FPS.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Try this to upgrade to 10061.

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability]
    "BranchName"="fbl_impressive"
    "ThresholdRiskLevel"="low"
    "Ring"="WIF"
    "ThresholdInternal"=dword:00000000
    "ThresholdOptedin"=dword:00000001

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I'm on fast ring and WU found the upgrade to 10061 and start the process but half way it stops and report a problem with the download.

I will try again tomorrow, if it fails again i will do an .iso from a downloaded 10061.esd and upgrade with an in place upgrade.

20. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    There may be your answer then, up until 10056 all W10 builds were working better than 8.1 but then with 10061 everything got worse. And I use 1GB of pagefile for compatibility reasons.
    DX12 driver means it's a different driver batch than this one, not that the game has DX12.
    And I have 100% GPU usage even FPS drops so that's still the limiting factor, or the driver. Seemed like W10 kept trying to flush the video memory. Also noticed a difference in the beginning at the loading story mode, in W8.1 the VRAM increases gradually until 1.2GB whereas with the W10 driver it kept staying below 400MB, like there was a hard limit.