Acer Launches 3440 x 1440 IPS Curved Monitor with G-SYNC Technology

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Orthello

Orthello Guest

GPU:
    980 tri sli @ 1740/7900
    Whats the refresh rate on this one ? i didn't see it anywhere .. 120 hz would be real nice.

Appears its 75hz , still better than 60 hz .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  3. Vegtro

Vegtro Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Nice monitor, but why do these companies keep putting glossy frames and what's with the purple on the front bezel.

4. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Too expensive,even now, even while the first this type monitors start to show up...
    For my taste I would prefer a monitor with "just" 75hz and G sync, real colors(blacks too),good response time but with a reasonable price..

I mean, come one, we need 2.000 euros for monitor+dual gpus to play nice with everything? too much guys..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

5. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    34'' curved ultrawide for pc gaming? I don't see it.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I really get the feeling Monitor Producers have no clues as to what the PC marker wants.

To me it's one of the following:

1) Gamer monitor.
    2) Productivity/business monitor.
    3) General purpose monitor.
    4) App/task specific monitor.

1) high/fast refresh, 1080P or higher. TN/1080P/23inch at the low and IPS/1440P/27inch at the high
    2) widescreen and cheap. 21 inch low end scrub/27 inch for managing directors. panel type irrelevant, so long as it conforms to standards. IT Manager gets a projector in the server room which only he has the key for. :)
    3) 60-75hz 1.78-1.6:1 panel no less than 24 inch and most likely 1080P or 1200P as a minimum and IPS 8-12 bit. the lowest latency possible in this bracket. Dell make these quite well.
    4) 4-5K panels with w/e refresh designed for photo/editing/CAD/document production 10-12 bit with Adobe RGB/SRGB and other calibrations available. Typically use in conjunction with another monitor like one of the (3) types.

Now then, where does this monitor fall?

7. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Guest

GPU:
    680M @ 1043 Mhz
    I would much rather use one of these new ultrawides than the ghetto 3x monitor setups for games.

8. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

OH YOU!... and your arcane STANDARDS

This monitor is the BEST thing thats happened to the monitor market in a LONG while, i am truly sad that you dont see it. (although it is overpriced at launch it seems... but thats to be expected)

9. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I just hope it gets a 29" 1080p little brother, I still believe 32" might be a tad much.
    Oh and yeah, the price. But 7 years ago I bough my current monitor for €770.
    Sooo... I hope these will last even longer? ^^

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Same here bro, I'm rather comfortable and used to using a monitor/IPS TV being 29-32'' in size...

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Some people probably need to understand that a 34" ultra widescreen monitor doesn't "feel" as big as what people automatically assume when it says 34"

[​IMG]

That's a 34" ultrawide monitor next to a 27" widescreen monitor

the 29" ultra wides are too small, and i believe that to be true for most anyone, though it does have its market, but to the people who are saying it's too big why would a gamer want it, do you really understand how "big" it is?

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    1000% agree. I see people's battestation pictures and 60% of their desk is monitors.. looks ridiculous, but that's only because there hasn't been anything big enough to only use a single monitor unless you use a TV.

Plus, bezels are awful, and I just can not bring myself to do a triple monitor setup. I'd much prefer to just get a wider single panel.

Agree, its about time we start to see some options in the 30+ inch segment of monitors. It seems like we've been stuck at 24/27 for ages now (I know there are larger, but the vast majority of monitors are within those ranges) so its nice to see some high quality larger screens become available.

I may not get this monitor right when it drops, but the moment I see it ~$1000 I will buy one.

13. laughtsatyou

laughtsatyou Guest

GPU:
    I wish people would stop spitting out refresh rates when the specs for dp 1.2 or hdmi 2.0 are known,
    They only show there lack of knowledge.

Note because i expect this to be deleted ,
    When i log in using accounts i made years ago i do not wish for them to be banned by my dns server info i use Hola so just give up your quest your fighting a loosing battle.
    Your banns will never work but is funny to watch.
    Now you know this account i fully expect it to be banned, It wouldnt of if i said nothing thats what i find rather pittyfull of your efforts.

14. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    if anyone has trouble picturing the size of a 34" 21:9 monitor. take a regular 27 inch panel. then take another one and cut it in 4 pieces then take 2 pieces and stick it on each side of the 27" monitor. that's about how big a 21:9 34" monitor is. 3440x1440 is great for productivity and can be great for most games but it can be really annoying for capturing/streaming as you need to set the res to 1080p/1440p(if you use a capture card or want to conform to 16:9 for youtube) and that leaves black bars on the sides.

15. Onemoa

Onemoa Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290 OC Edition
    I picked up the new AHVA ASUS PB278Q and it's the best monitor I've used for gaming. If I do end up getting a FreeSync monitor I'll be waiting a while. Since I have no problems running my monitor at 2560x1440p with everything I play besides maybe ArcheAge in large open world PvP battles. But even then I don't really drop below 40 fps.

I'm also waiting for the right time to buy another monitor. Just because I've only had this one for less then 6 month's. And it's pixel perfect.

I also wonder why I don't get any artifacts when I use display port. I'm not sure if this monitor has DP 1.2a or not. But it acts as if its using some sort of free sync.

Anyone know more about the Asus PB278Q AHVA monitor, as in does it have DisplayPort 1.2a or not? You would think that if it did they would have it all over the box but since Asus is partners with Nvidia GSync, maybe they wouldn't advertise it?

Anyway I was just wondering and put in my 2 cents..

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Agreed. The 27" monitor are same height as 34" ultra-wide, the latter just wider. A 29" UW looks pathetic vs these two.. same height as a 24" display.

17. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I eventually want one, but first prices have to drop below 1000 and refresh needs to go up to 120 at least.

18. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    gonna take a while before IPS tech reaching a point where get high fps but still cheap to produce

anyway... from what i see 2015 trend is "curve" ... 2014 is 3D? ... well in TV not pc monitor though
    i think samsung started the trend, if we look their 2015 TV lineup, almost half is curve
    despite more like gimmick rather than actual use but for wide-big-screen, i think curve indeed better than flat

19. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

Thats not an AHVA.

The only two AHVA panels are Asus MG279Q and Acer XB270HU, both 144hz and IPS equivalent quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
  20. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Acer has had some sweet monitors lately.