It is official AMD skips 20nm and jumps to 14nm

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Although this was a rumor for a long time now we now know that AMD skips 20nm and jumps onto a 14nm fabrication node for their 2016 GPUs. Yields in the 20nm have been a massive failure and as such m...

It is official AMD skips 20nm and jumps to 14nm

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, give us Franz Joseph Land! :D

On a more serious note, I don't even want to know how much money they lost when trying to get 20nm working. We'll see how AMDs 14nm takes on Nvidias 16nm GPUs...

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Damit! Now I don't know whether to get a 390 or two or wait for the 400 series!

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I plan to get just one, as long as it doubles HD7970 performance which is quite probable.
    As it will allow me to use 1440p with reasonable fps.

5. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    --Matt26LFC, circa Q1, 2015

--Matt26LFC, circa Q1, 2017

EDIT: Jokes aside, I had a similar dilemma about getting a good card now or waiting and compromised getting a mid-range stop-gap (R9 285). I'm glad I did given how long the new AMD cards are delayed. It's a surprisingly good card and I wont feel I lost out badly when the new cards finally arrive and I replace it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I will upgrade come 400 series since the jump with titan x/980ti or coming 390 won't be enough with their prices :D

7. nvanao

nvanao Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Classy
    20 nm is FAIL!?! It'll be skipped to 14 nm!?! wtf? But 14 nm is better for faster and colder. :)

8. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    What about their cpu's?

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Those will be 14nm too. They are going to 14nm with both. For next-gen. Maybe some 16nm parts for cpus.

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well, i dont know if it is really a news, we was all know that 20nm was skipped 1 year ago...

Well looking at last informations, Nvidia is going too to Samsung fundries for 14nm, following, Qualcomm, Apple and nearly every actor of the industry.

The question is to know if we are speaking about SOC only ( tegra, Snapdragon 820, A9x ) or are we speaking too about the GPU's.

As for AMD, well Samsung and GLOFO have a complete collaboration, consortium together since years ( Common Plateform ), and Glofo / Samsung build their process for get the same nodes, same installation on their own fundries.. This collaboration have again up a notch for 14nm..
    ( i ask me at what level is involved AMD in this collaboration, the common plateform have been largely initiated by them with actors of the HSA fundation, including TI, Mediatek, Imagineon, Qualcom, ARM, Samsung etc )

2016 dont really take a good road for TSMC: every major actors who was doing volumes production of SOC in TSMC have announce move to Samsung / Glofo 14nm nodes. I start to ask me what is left on TSMC outside ARM SOC prototype.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ah, I thought nvidia would move to 16nm next, not cut the chase towards 14nm. And I'm only talking about GPUs, no Tegra chips :)

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well, that's the big question.

We are 100% sure that Nvidia is moving to 14nm Samsung for something ( as it have been confirmed 1 week ago by both ), but we dont know if it is for SOC or GPU's or for both.

On the other part we are 100% sure too since some month that AMD is moving to 14nm for GPU's... and the only one who can do this is the Common Plateform group ( Samsung, Global Fundries ).

Ofc, suddenly all the 14nm collaboration, the Common Plateform alliance between Global Fundries, Samsung make a big sense with AMD, looking from where is coming Global Fundries, and the fact that AMD need to been able to go back in the race of Nodes for their CPU too.

( For recall Samsung and Intel are trusting the 1st and second place of the Semi conductors production industry marketshare since, well since so many times )

If all this story dont look like a long term strategic plan...

13. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    And what exactly is the source for this news? The Chinese page which is listed as source on other English pages, which itself does not seem to present a source?

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Hopefully this will help AMD a lot, we need some healthy competition!

15. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    So basically TSMC got the sack an moving on to other partners for fabbing 14nm GPU's

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As I'm not really familiar with the chip manufacturing business, could nvidia move to Intel to get something with 16nm or even 14nm manufactured?

17. TTtimzr

TTtimzr Guest

GPU:
    Evga&Msi GTX 780 sli
    Intel generally don't manufacture chips for other companies so they can keep their advantage of having smaller nodes before most others to themselves.

Not sure how good intel's fabs would be at making very large die/transistor chips such as gpu's since the cpu's are generally much smaller. Would be very powerful for NVidia if it ever happened though.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They are either going to end up using TSMC's 16nmFF+ or Samsung's 14nm.

Most likely they will go with TSMC. Also don't be confused by the 1xnm difference, you can't compare the numbers directly anymore with the 3D transistors. Both processes are very similar in terms of density and power.

But yeah, TSMC's 16nmFF+ for GPU's is already in risk production, with full production set for November. So 16nm Nvidia GPU's will probably be ready to go by March 2016.

Edit: I should also point out that this is the exact reason why I would not buy a GPU this year.

The gap in performance should be pretty hefty with the move from 28, to 16/14FF. Although it's going to be complicated for Nvidia, who will be moving from GDDR5 to HBM, slightly refined architecture and 16nm all in one product. If they screw it up, then that's going to be AMD's chance to catch up, since they should have already worked out the HBM/interposer kinks with the 390x.

19. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC

Come on your on 7970 upgrade to 390x and you get huge leap in performance.

At some point you can safely upgrade in your case it seems a good deal 7970 to 390x is huge step.

20. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    Yeah baby, I really hope that this time AMD is going to steal a lot of land from nvidia. I'm usually fan of neither and I'll go with whoever has better product BUT I don't wont to see AMD dead so this time I really want to help them out.

My 670 is way to slow for my 1600p resolution so maybe for the time being before AMD's 400 I'll go with 980ti when it comes out and then swap it, it all depends on 390x what it shows.

It's a shame this ain't easier so they could jump right to 10nm to get ahead of nvidia even more.