Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K SkyLake Specs ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There is a bit of controversy on the web at the moment as some info appeared on the web regarding Intel's upcoming Skylake lineup. The information claims the existence of a Core i7-6700K and Core i...

Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K SkyLake Specs ?

2. CrisanT

CrisanT Guest

Maybe, just maybe, these chips are going to be the "tock" in Intels road map since Sandy Bridge and thats why they used the same naming as Sandy :D

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    One would hope. But considering the lack of competition in this segment I strongly believe we will see another small 10% performance increment. I mean there's not much incentive for them to push their own boundaries.
    We'll see.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, Skylake will be tock.

I know it's not a necessity, and certainly Intel's not forced to work on it, but still no 6 core for the mainstream platform? D'oh.

5. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah I was hoping to see a mainstream 6-core aswell. Especially now that DX12 is around the corner there would be benefits even in gaming. By the looks of it I will likely skip skylake aswell.

But who knows maybe that 6700k will dish out great performance.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's always possible. Also I wonder how they will behave temp wise, and how much they can be overclocked. 4.2GHz stock boost should enable people to get it closer to 4.6 with decent cooling, maybe even more. This alone could mean a reasonable bump in performance, this making people upgrade.

But I just bought my 5930K, so I will not sidegrade / downgroade to regular Skylake anyway :)

7. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    LGA1151, I wonder if with a bios update it could work on existing mother boards.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  8. B0GiE-uk-

B0GiE-uk- Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6Gb
    That's why nobody is upgrading as they are pushing out crappy 10% boost on each CPU release. Whats the point spending another £250 quid on 10%?

However if they upped the speeds by 33% or more there would be massive uptake.

Intel are shooting themselves in the foot at the moment. :bang:

9. designerexpert

designerexpert Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
    While there might be no competition from the AMD side and prices will go up drastically, If Intel does not deliver better performance, customers will just refuse to upgrade until it becomes something of a larger difference. What we will likely see is a slow to a crawl on the increased complexity of processor intensive software like Games, who knows maybe we will see more optimized titles from now on. But the truth still remains: Customers will not buy crap they do not need...remember that Intel!

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

So, Intel decided to go to 'C' for unlocked in the Broadwell CPU's, but go back to K for Skylake?

11. Paul5850

Paul5850 Guest

GPU:
    Gainward Phantom GTX 970
    Still 4 cores? No thanks, I was hoping in 2010 when I got mine that I would upgrade to something like double the cores in 3-4 years time. But pay for a Quad at these exorbitant sums of money that the Intel's cost? Not even a Multithreaded i5...

12. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah well that's the exact reason I haven't upgraded my sandy. This thing pulls off 4.9GHz, there's absolutely 0 reason to upgrade to anything other than an enthusiast processor. Which I'm not willing to do since they're quite expensive.

They still need to keep things moving and we will see improvements at the same rate as long as they're in business. Look at what's going on with AMD with the 3-year-old processors. People are losing interest massively and switching to Intel. Old and inefficient architectures.

If anything, this gives AMD the chance to catch up. Only AMD is balling their eyes out and wasting time, trying to do everything instead on focusing on a few important things: GPUs and proper desktop CPUs.
    APUs are barely used. I seriously don't know anyone who owns an APU for the graphics capabilities. You're better off with an i3 for entertainment PCs.

13. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    AMD's lack of technological advancement over the past few years is why I went the Intel route when I last upgraded. It's also the reason why I no longer suggest AMD processors to my friends building a gaming computer. There's just no point in investing in ancient hardware.

Intel's small steps is also why I haven't upgraded from my 3570k. There's just no point in going for a 4670k/4690k as it's such a small upgrade/sidegrade.

Intels constant switching of CPU sockets doesn't help either. No longer can you just get a newer generation CPU and throw it into your older motherboard and have a cheap but powerful upgrade. Want to upgrade now? Be prepared to shell out $$$ for a new motherboard too.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Firmware updates don't change hardware physically.

15. AMD did not have lack of technological advancement, especially not compared to Intel. AMD had lack of good market choices, and bad cooperation with partners (both sides). Basically, even AMD chips from 2012 are more advanced compared to the Intel chips, but in "wrong route", for the market needs, that is.

Bad partner support, and questionable socket compatibility is another aspect where AMD is far behind Intel.

Either way, I cannot recommend AMD products to friends also.

On topic, nope, this CPU's will have up to 10% improvements, same as those before, the difference is higher default clocks (and TDP), so effective stock speed would probably be up to 20%, with new RAM types and some instruction sets.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I'm really itchy to upgrade my Sandy (even if i have no reason to do so).

Idk, kinda hoping it will be worth it and finally have some new toy to play with. Seeing its still 4core brings me down though...

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Pin placement is the difference in the sockets.

Now that being said, there have been cases where a different socket works on another with pencil mods, or a contact mod. There is a 771 to 775 mod out there that works without any bios mods.

Honestly I am hoping for something good from either Intel or AMD, I love my mac but I'm itching to tweak! There's only so much I can do to this thing! :D

18. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    (4 core i5)
    welp, at least i could still hope to prioritize my GPU upgrade heh

19. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I was looking for an upgrade as well but when i see the new CPU's not being any faster than what i have i am really really hesitant about it. I should just push my CPU a little higher for OC since i installed my Corsair H90

20. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I have had my 3570K at 4.4 since Day 1 and it feels as fast now as it did in Summer 2012.