gta 5 crossfire does not work properrly!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fullban, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    I have the same problem with my TRI-CFX 290x's.

First few minutes of the game runs great with clocks locked at 1000MHz but after awhile I start getting major stuttering and when I check the clocks they are bouncing all over the place.

In CFX this is bad and causes frame pacing to freak out.

I have fixed the clocks by creating a custom CFX profile for GTA5 but still notice performance drop over time.

2. fullban

fullban Guest

GPU:
    AORUS GeForce 1080ti
    how did you create a custom profile??

because I cant find it when I search for it in ccc its just not there in latest beta and whql

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Did you read muy post? Clean OS from formatted partition to W8.1 15.4 drivers AB and 3 or 4 softs more.

I'm not so newbie, i know when cfx is working and ULPS is disabled, link GPU even forced voltage (locked clocks).

I have enabled cfx on AMD drivers enabled, show logo and i tested also in single mode, there is a huge fps difference.

AB is not showing GPU 2 activity but GPU2 is working it seems to be a bug.

AB pics don't capture cfx logo, i can take a screenshot with my phone if you don't believe me! :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    There is no visible and selectable profile but you can always create one cfx profile from scratch.

5. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Open AMD CCC, go to 3D Applications Settings, then under System Settings click Add. Then you navigate to the GTAV.exe and select open.

You will now be able to select the crossfire mode, I use AFR Friendly. Once you create this new GTAV profile it will override the profile within the 15.4 beta driver. :pc1:

6. fullban

fullban Guest

GPU:
    AORUS GeForce 1080ti
    from scratch?

do you mean selecting afr/optimize

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Or 1x1 or any other game cfx profile and select some graphic option for it, that's what i mean.

8. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    In my opinion, playing at max settings is the cause for the drop in performance. Options like Grass, Post FX and MSAA are especially responsible for that.
    Lower your settings to high/very high. There is not much of a visual difference between ultra and high/very high but the performance hit is just not worth it.
    Also do not use any of the advanced graphic options.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Something is wrong in this drivers or in AB, AB is not reporting GPU 2 usage in 15.4 but it works fine in last W10 drivers or in 15.3 in W8.1.

I will try what you said even i don't think it will fix the GPU usage fluctuation without CPU bottleneck...

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The game bottlenecks without fully maxing out any of the cores. You're getting fluctuating usage with your GPUs because of that bottleneck. It's common across all powerful GPUs. SLi also has the same issue in this game, the GPU power offered is not fully utilized if you're not using crazy settings that shift the bottleneck back to the GPU.

Crossfire works perfectly in this game.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I understand you say the game has CPU bottleneck without maxing any of the cores.

i tried with maxed settings on 1080p and down to 768p the same GPU fluctuations appears, i will try with VSR up to 3200x1800 and look for this pattern.

What are your GPU and CPU ranges in your PC in this game with crossfire maxing all settings at 1080?

It could be a good point to compare as you have a powerfull CPU and weaker GPUs than mine.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    A small update: I get better GPU usage in W10 with latest driver than in W8.1 with 15.4 drivers.

Frames could be the same or lower (?) but GPU usage is more consistent and AB is showing GPU 2 usage in W10 but don't show on W8.1 with 15.4.

13. freddy911

freddy911 Guest

GPU:
    amd 295x2 crossfirex
    yes at 4k i have to play on high even with quadfire

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Well i tried to shift this CPU bottleneck (if it exist) to GPU but it was not posible in my system with this hardware.

I get almost the same lower GPU usage results with the craziest cfx settings i can use in GTAV as you said.

I tested the game in 3200x1800 ALL settings maxed but MSAA, if i select X2 or higher in this setting the game blanks screen when i apply it and hangs.

FPS are very similar (if not better) to maxed 1080p included msaa x8.

GPU usage seems to be a little better but not very much and CPU usage is maybe a little lower.

I took this pic as an example at 3200X1800 starring at the panorama on top of a roof 44 FPS, 52% GPU usage and CPU 73%-56-69-66 (pic is uploaded as jpg...original bmp is 16.4 MB):

[​IMG]

Maybe a test from a user with a cfx 290X or 295X2 with +16Gb ram and an OCed 4790K or even better an OCed i7-5960X Extreme Edition could solve this question.

My opinion untill further test is 15.4 cfx profile is not getting the best of cfx cards 290x and up.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's really not a hardware bottleneck but software. AMD drivers and DX11 are the problem.

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    How is the game bottlenecked by DX11? :3eyes:

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I corrected my post. DX11 is CPU bound. It's not a hardware problem.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Let me clarify what I'm saying.

When you say "Your CPU is the bottleneck" it means your CPU isn't powerful enough to allow your GPU to perform at it's theoretical maximum.
    In this case, your CPU isn't the weak link, DX11/RAGE are the problem.
    That's why if you run something like the Star Swarm benchmark, if you have a powerful CPU and GPU your GPU utilization doesn't max out under DX11 because it's bottlenecked by the API. If you run the same benchmark with Mantle (low overhead) the benchmark will push the GPU so much more.

I guess you could bounce back and forth and say it's still a CPU bottleneck which in reality it is but the weak link is the software. When I see people say "You have a CPU bottleneck" I'm sure most think they need a better one which in this case they don't.

My opinion :)

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks to share your opinion. :)

I knew what CPU and GPU bottlenecks are but i had never heard about API bottlenecks or bottlenecks without 100% usage (or at least peaks) from CPU or GPU.

In fact i've just tried GTA V with DX 10 and you must be right!

Using DX 10 i have 25-55% usage compared to 48-98% in DX 11!

20. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    DX 11 has a big bottleneck especially on PC. It only allows 1 core to communicate to the gpu at any given time. Thus it's multi-threading capabilities is very limited.
    Which is why mantle was created and to force Microsoft hand in pushing out DX 12. It also has a limitation in its draw call limit. AC Unity is a very good example for that.