gta 5 crossfire does not work properrly!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fullban, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Active Member

GPU:
    7970 crossfire-1125/1575
    Hello all,

I wonder if those of you experiencing the random FPS lag can check their GPU clocks to see what's going on.

I have the latest drivers, and I have 295x2 and a 290 in trifire. Resolution is 4K.

So, I play. The game is amazing at 60 FPS vsync (triple buffering enabled via radeonpro but that's it) and then at a random point, the frame rate will tank to 25-30.

This happens at ANY stage. Nothing to do with in-game activity or scene or whatever. I stood in the car dealership once for 5 minutes doing nothing and watched the FPS go up and down like a yoyo.

Initially I thought it was a vsync bug, jumping from 30-60 and back but even with vsync off it was the same.

Anyway, I worked out today that 2 of my GPUs (ie both on the 295x2) were randomly going from 1040mhz to idle 300 and back again. As this happens, FPS tanks like crazy and then voila, back to 60. While this is happening the third GPU stays fine at 1040.

RAM clocks on all 3 cards stay the same.

It's very weird, I haven't tried single GPU performance but I doubt it'll hit 60 FPS vsync at 4K without fidelity compromise, which I really don't want because it looks damn fine when it works properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'd be interested to see if this replicates on other systems.

PS: this happens even when radeonpro is disabled, and ULPS is off naturally.

2. christal

christal Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    "Why did you then? "

Because I was in your position (had only one 7970) and seemed quite reasonable in terms of money to add another one, after the price had dropped. I don`t regret it to this day, but had to live with the consequences :)

As to the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine, anyone can confirm that it has a great scalability and obviously benefits from multi GPU setups...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  3. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    After the latest patch I do not see much of the massive frame rate drops I was experiencing before.

4. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    what if its HDD reads related? i noticed everytime my game loses fps, my hardrive is reading data.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Fair enough? Any kind of credible source for that "clock" claim for Crossfire?

If the game loads assets, then your FPS will tank because the cards don't have what to render.

6. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    There is seriously something going on with how R* setup memory allocation in the game. I think there is a serious memory leak.

If the system info from Afterburner is correct, the game uses at least 4GB of am and 10GB of pagefile. Why would it need to use the pagefile (which is on another SSD) when I have ample amount of memory left from 32GB of ram?

[​IMG]

An increase in usage 2 minutes later at the same spot doing nothing.
    [​IMG]

It just keeps going up but never goes back down...

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Badly optimized if the game is reading data at the moment it needs it. Rockstar must have heard of buffers. ;)

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Just disable pagefile. If you have issues without it then sure enable it again. But games like to use pagefile, it's just the way it is.

9. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    Performance remains the same regardless of pagefile being enabled or disabled.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Ahh I see, pagefile on another SSD, not the greatest of ideas but if it works for you. I would either disable it or set it to a very low amount (like 512MB) you don't need 10GB of pagefile with 32GB of RAM :) If that's not good enough then you need to complain to Rockstar or Microsoft as that's just the way the game runs (COD Advanced Warfare is exactly the same).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

11. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    Putting the pagefile on another SSD was an experiment to see if it could resolve the frame drop I encounter. The pagefile is usually on a mechanical hard drive.
    Strangely enough, after disabling pagefile totally in the system, afterburner and task manager still reports pagefile being used.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You did reboot yes? Strange if you have and it's still showing it as enabled. I don't use pagefile because of this. I had one on my HDD but with COD Advanced Warfare I noticed huge stutters during gaming and later found out it was the pagefile being written to causes some serious issues. No issues without one.
    I notice GTA V does stutter a little bit when my HDD is being accessed (can't afford to have it on an SSD). FPS doesn't seem as stable after the new update.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do you mean at 4K?

What is the GPU usage you get on OSD from AB?

In my 290X crossfire i see GPU usages as low as 48%...NO V-SYNC!

I uploaded this image as jpg to save bandwith AB OSD reports only GPU 1 usage but crossfire is working 47 fps and 48% GPU usage, very poor performance:

[​IMG]

And no CPU cores are not maxed...

No pagefile here.

Vram usage 6-7.5 GB. (single GPU x2)

Ram usage around 5.5GB.

Tested in a clean W8.1 Ent, 15.4 drivers with only steam, chromium, GTA V , AB and GPU-Z.

1080p ALL settings maxed without V-sync i have:

- 65-120 fps walking around-inside.
    - 50-65 fps running.
    - 40-55 fps driving fast.

Its very rare to see GPU at 97-98% (quiet starring) usage use to be around 80% (walking) and 48-70% (running/driving).

Compared to single GPU i have almost double frames inside buildings but outside i have from 75% more to as low 20% more i guess due to low and inconsistent GPU usage.

Single GPU usage is more consistent and high, 80-98%.

This crossfire profile is not getting the best of this hardware IMHO.

My GPUs at 1150/1600 get some fps more than 1080/1250.

14. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    It has more to do with how amd multi gpu driver is streaming and rendering the higher resolution textures.
    I play the game at 1440p with the below settings in crossfire:

FXAA: On
    MSAA: Off
    Vsync: Off (Triple buffer and vsync with RadeonPro + RTSS Frame limiter)
    Sliders: maxed
    Texture: Very High
    Shader: High
    Shadow: High
    Reflection Quality: Very High
    Reflection MSAA: Off
    Water: Very High
    Particles: High
    Grass: High
    Soft Shadows: Softer
    Post FX: High
    Motion Blur: None
    DoF: Off
    AF: 16x
    AO: Normal
    Tessellation: Normal
    Long Shadows: Off
    High Res Shadows: Off
    High Detail Streaming while flying: Off
    Extended Distance Scaling: 0%
    Extended Shadows Distance: 0%

By only changing texture setting to high, I get a smoother performance with alot less judder/stuttering. Very high textures only works well with single gpu.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I think you could be right.

What is the GPU usage range for you in crossfire?

16. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    I believe GPU usage range is usually limit by your frame rate limit?
    When walking/running/driving outdoors during the day/night. I see usually see an usage range of 36%-60% in crossfire with vsync on at 60fps. Uncap it and I can easily see it using 80%-98% with 70-130fps, at the expense of tearing.

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Works for me.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)

All about crossfire:

It should be like you said but i have low range GPU usage without v-sync and 40-50 fps not simply for a second but long sequence.

Look the pic i posted 48% GPU usage 47 fps.

I have a lot of pics like this on 50% GPU usage looking at the panorama on top of a roof and only 35-45 fps!

Not even 4K on low settings, 1080 all maxed.

Is quad needed to 4K 60 in this game?

19. Jtacdf

Jtacdf Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB CFX (H2O)
    In your pic above, how did you managed to get 0% for GPU2? If crossfire is working correctly, there will always be usage from multi gpu. Maybe it is not enabled correctly in your system?
    That might explain your lower than average fps for CFX. Your have to ensure that the game exe is running crossfire in default mode in CCC.

I found that installing a new catalyst driver will usually disable crossfire. Ensure that it is enable again. Maybe also try disabling ULPS in afterburner?

20. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Same here.
    Both my gpu's have low GPU usage ranging from 40-60-70% ,If I use 2xmsaa it climbs to 80-90% depending on location.
    But what is more worrying to me is outside the city performance ,it tanks to 40fps no matter what.
    Only a new API could fix all these usage and fps problems.