ReShade - Advanced post-processing everywhere (SweetFX)

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by CeeJay.dk, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    He already did it, like 3 days ago or something.
    No replies, though.

I see no harm in asking assistance here as well.
    Maybe some user found a workaround, but is not an user in reshade's forum.

Also, I rather see people asking for assistance than ****posting for 3 pages about Reshade and Windows.

2. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    Round & round & round we go with this absolutely useless request for help in the wrong forum.

Let me explain it once again:
    Q: Problem with Reshade?
    A: Go to Reshade.me (like the Reshade crew already told everybody to do).
    I don't think I have ever seen such an obstinate refusal to follow the blatantly obvious instructions of a software's developers, lol. :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a very interesting recent post from the Reshade.me forum. ;)

Post link: http://reshade.me/forum/releases/487-0-18#4069

< Posted by: crosire >

(RESHADE) Rolling Changelog:

0.18.0:

- Added window watcher, which keeps track of window messages and handles keyboard and mouse input
    - Added support for numeric escape sequences in string literals to effect parser
    - Added error message to setup tool if Visual C++ redistributable is missing
    - Changed hook installation to log error status code if hook activation failed
    - Changed network traffic monitor to use interlocked operations instead of critical sections for thread-safety
    - Fixed effect reloading not working if there was an error during the preprocessor step
    - Removed "d3dx9" dependency from 64 bit build since it isn't used there
    - Removed support for loading effects from "Sweet.fx" and "ReShade\Common\ReShade.fx". Please use "ReShade.fx" instead.

Not yet released.
    Cheers, Crosire =)

< End of Post >

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

< Posted by: NotSoSweet >

Added window watcher, which keeps track of window messages and handles keyboard and mouse input

/paranoid mode on

Erm, keylogging? Can I ask you, why is it necessary for a shader/graphic mod?

Also can you add an option to permanently disable network monitoring and "dangerous" features similar to depth-buffer?
    Why monitor them constantly, just allow to disable them in manual mode.
    It is safer than constant monitoring with a possibility to ban in 100% MMO/multiplayer games.

< End of Post >

P.S. Bravo bud, I was beginning to think that there wasn't anybody on these forums who understands how phishing scammers operate.

Anybody who is unaware of this sort of thing might want to watch this convenient video.
    video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIAuPwY4498

Please understand that I am not making any accusations of course.
    Rather, I am just agreeing with the post that you need to keep your eyes open. :3eyes:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  3. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    Is the toggleeffects button in new reshade+sweetfx broken ?
    I cannot seem to toggle depth buffer or effects with scrolllock anymore. it all works but I can't toggle it... so it's annoying since, I can't do a direct comparsion of the changed I make.

Also, What is the best aa method nowadays ?

smaa 0.05, 98, 16 and 25 corner rounding ? none of depth prediction stuff increses image quality for me... at least not in gta iv.

OR fxaa 9 with 0,8 subpixel removal and above 1 sharpen.

also, can someone explain me what actually cures does ?

4. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Yes, toggle on\off is currently broken.
    Crosire will probably fix it for 0.18 release (or at least, he is paving the way to).

Best AA is subjective.
    Just use what looks good for you.

I prefer SMAA + downsampling\SSAA over other methods, though.

5. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    From what I read on the Reshade forum, I think they are working on implementing key toggles in Reshade+Framework.
    I may have misunderstood the dev blog though so you should probably check up on it over there.

Determining what is the best overall AA method is somewhat subjective like Scarecrow7 said, however there are some concrete differences.

The main downside of FXAA is that it noticeably blurs textures. For instance, in the Bethesda/Gamebryo Engine games (i.e. Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim) FXAA actually works significantly better than SMAA at smoothing jagged lines but at the cost of horribly blurring the HUD. (Of course its actually blurring all the textures but the HUD elements are especially noticeable.)

On the other hand, SMAA does a much better job of retaining the original crispness of the textures. The main downside to SMAA is that it misses a lot more jagged edges than FXAA in general. However, CeeJay has implemented a new SMAA algorithm in SweetFX_2.0 which is supposed to catch more jagged edges but he is still working the bugs out of it apparently.

6. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    Thanks for the answer.
    Fxaa is usually better... at least with ultra settings in radeonpro.

That's why i would like to know what are the established ultra presets for smaa and fxaa. I guess radeonpro uses those when set to ultra, but I can't find what setting is this.

And both fxaa and smaa work a little different than in sweetfx.
    Fxaa is less blurry on ultra in radeonpro
    Smaa is more effective in sweetfx.

Also, is there any difference between fxaa and smaa when in motion ? does aa crawl more on one than another ?

7. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    Sorry bud, you aren't making much sense.

Your initial question about Reshade+SweetFX would lead most people to think you were talking about that and now you suddenly change to talking about Radeonpro.

Then you asked which AA method is best and now you flatly state that you have already decided ahead of time that FXAA is the best.

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  8. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    Sorry to confuse, just comparing all smaa and fxaa implementations and noticing differences. Maybe presets are just different.
    Ignore all the questions if I am not clear :) I might have a little to much on my head and using forum to think out loud might not be the best idea.

But the question about fxaa vs smaa in motion stands.

9. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    Congratulations, that's the first thing you have said that actually makes sense.

You are obviously playing games and nobody is amused.

10. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's just a framework thing. SweetFX 2.0 already has key toggling, nothing new there. Those are options configured by shader developers as ReShade does not have a global on/off switch but instead provides features to implement such a thing in shaders.

Let's asume I'm an idiot and would want to start pishing everybody. I would definitly add that point to the public changelog, right?
    Anyway, let me clear this particular thing up for you. And if you don't want to take my word for it: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms644927(v=vs.85).aspx. =)

And please be nicer to people, shader injection is a complex topic so not everybody here can or wants to have the full insight.
    Also, nekrik is not part of the ReShade team, that's just CeeJay (SweetFX), Marty McFly (MasterEffect), LuciferHawk (GemFX) and me. Not that I'm against his statement, I would have said the same, but still, you're relying on false information.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

11. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    There have been many posts that indicate Reshade+SweetFX can not be toggled like SweetFX_1.5.1. I can also confirm that Reshade+SweetFX would not toggle effects on/off when I tried several versions myself. Claiming otherwise is a bewildering denial of tangible facts.

I stated very clearly in my comment about the post by NotSoSweet that I was not making any accusations of wrong doing. Rather, I congratulated him for his vigilance. His concern that a freeware includes constant monitoring is extremely reasonable. He states that there is no reason why the user needs constant monitoring when he could simply be allowed to disable the depth buffer himself if he wants to use Reshade in an online game and there might be a ban because of it. Pretending that its impractical or impossible to allow the user to disable it is no more believable than Microsoft's original claim that the always on drm that they were trying to force on xbone users couldn't be disabled. But of course this isn't about empowering the user is it. It's about telling all the users that they have to accept constant monitoring in order to prevent the nasty hackers from ruining it for everybody.

I think that most people would assume that the "TroubleShooting" section on the Reshade.me was set up to catalog & respond to all bug reports.
    Forgive me if I seem incredulous, but your incongruous statement that nekrik doesn't speak for the devs while agreeing with him at the same time is what is commonly known as "a distinction without a difference".

The post by NotSoSweet is obviously your main concern here and the rest is superfluous. In fact, it has apparently worried you enough that you felt the need to come here to attempt damage control. As I stated in one of my previous posts, I don't have a predetermined bias for or against any injector. Like most gamers I am only concerned about one thing: either it works or it doesn't. Consequently, I firmly believe that most people are smart enough to make rational decisions about the safety & effectiveness of a software if they are provided with enough information. Pretending that pointing out the deficiencies in a software is somehow "not being nice" is ludicrous.

12. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    Claiming something is present, but isn't working correctly in the last two builds due to a bug isn't denial of facts. Because it being implemented is a fact.

Agreed.

If you want to call retrieving the upload and download size of only the game (same thing you can watch in Windows Task Manager) "constant monitoring", then fine (yes, I know, the term "network monitor" wasn't a good choice). For me "constant monitoring" would be looking at the contents of my network traffic, which is not what ReShade does at all.

So in that case if you want to play online and decide to not disable the depth buffer, then you are free to use it? That's kind of what this tries to prevent. It's not there to stop anti-cheat software from scanning ReShade, it's there to prevent people from writting shaders that could potentially be an unfair advantage over other players (looking through alpha objects like bushes/grass, uncloak players, distance measurements, etc.). If this isn't wanted, then fine, I'm ok with creating a poll to determine if the depthbuffer should be accessible in online games too and to remove the network check. But there'll be "I told you so" once the first game starts banning players for it.

Correct. This was brought to my attention and I was indeed worried about that one not very well phrased changelog line setting of alarms when there is no reason to it. There is no constant monitoring, it's simple input handling like every most basic Win32 app does it. The previous SweetFX injector did it in a very similar way too (with some limitations). I could instead have written "Fixed toggle keys" and nobody would have bat an eye. The only reason the word "watcher" came up is because I called the corresponding class in code this way, even though it doesn't represent the actual inner workings: was just a way of structuring the source.

13. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    Why don't you just release two versions of Reshade:
    1. Version #1, with depth buffer & auto shutdown when internet is detected. (Offline only version)
    2. Version #2, with no depth buffer & no auto shutdown. (Online or Offline version)

It seems pretty simple to me and it shouldn't require much of a tweak to the code since it would simply check for an internet connection and kill Reshade in that case.
    Furthermore, instead of people being unsure if Reshade is working in that scenario, it would be obvious since there wouldn't be any effects at all.
    Heck, you could even flash a window message that tells the user, "This version of Reshade will not work for online play".

This solution would have the same effect of stopping potential haxers from abusing the depth buffer while giving users who are legitimately concerned
    about constant monitoring a choice to avoid it entirely.

There is simply no escaping the fact that an always on user monitor is an extremely bad thing.
    Saying, "Trust me, I promise I would never do anything wrong with it" is hardly reassuring to anybody who knows anything about the danger of phishing. :)

14. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, had that in mind too.

Unfortunately, you have to trust every piece of closed source software you use on that. There is not much assurance to get, apart from firing up a process analyzer and/or debugger, which I encourage you to do if you're worried =).

15. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    Wow, you are seriously bad PR for your own software.

You apparently don't realize it, but flipping users the bird and telling them to get over it really isn't helping your case.

Oh well, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. :)

16. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    I seriously apologize to the forum moderator for double posting and I don't intend to do it again.
    Unfortunately it was the only way to show that the prior post to which I replied was edited after my reply had been posted.

I guess you just can't trust people on these forums not to revise their posts later and skew the reader's perception.
    It pretty much forces you to reprint their entire post as a quote in your reply post. ;)

Anyway, there was an objection in that post to the solution I suggested based on it adding more complication for the user.
    Actually, if you separate the injector download from the shader suite download then it is extremely simple for the user.
    They simply download both versions of Reshade in a single package and paste the one they need into the shader suite they are going to use. :)

17. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sorry about that. I realized I saw things the wrong way and it's just a habit of mine to correct the wrong instead of writing it multiple times (I tend to do that in Skype, Git etc. too; You probably noticed the "Last edited ..." messages below nearly all my posts).

Totally agreed. This was actually how it was initially planned, but back in December CeeJay and I decided to provide two full packages with everything included, since at that time only SweetFX existed, so this sounded like the right/easier on the user step to do.
    Now this may not be the best solution anymore though.

By the way, I'm greatful for having a discussion where each side can put out its arguments calmly, without it resulting in a fight. So thanks for that =).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  18. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    No problem.
    The retroactive post editing turned out to be a valuable lesson for me because it highlighted my own sloppy posting habits. :)

19. jmike00

jmike00 New Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 512
    Hey folks! I'm having some issues with SweetFX in certain games and it's an issue that just cropped up out of nowhere.

The games where I've noticed the problem are Diablo 3, Crysis 2 and Force Unleashed. In Force Unleashed and Diablo 3 I'm using v1.5 but I'm not sure about Crysis 2, it's whatever version came with the MaldoHD. The behavior across all 3 of those games is identical as they simply crash immediately on launch. Force Unleashed and Crysis 2 pop up the Windows 7 "<game> has stopped working and in the problem details it's citing the fault as d3d9.dll. In Diablo 3 the Blizzard specific crash Window pops up w/o any details but I'm assuming it's the same. Removing/renaming the sweetfx d3d9.dll from the game folder corrects the issue.

Just last weekend all 3 of those games were working fine and nothing was altered in those game directories. So far I've disabled MSI afterburner and double checked to see if any other program with an overlay might be interfering but no luck. The only things I have altered on my system between last weekend and this weekend is installing both ObjectDock and Rocketdock and a couple of custom Windows 7 themes that did alter the .dlls in the system folder. I did completely disable Objectdock and RocketDock to see if they were the issue but that didn't help.

I have SweetFX 1.5 installed for several other games that launch just fine and have full SweetFX function.

Another thing I will add that while not sweetFX related did start occurring at the same time. I run 3440x1440 and I used to be able to run Flawless Widescreen with D3 to enable 21:9 in Fullscreen mode. The procedure for enabling 21:9 in Diablo 3 with FWS was to launch the game, alt tab out and back in. Now when I alt tab back in I get an small box with an error saying: An error occurred reseting D3D, Click OK to retry. After a few ok clicks and fails the game crashes. I'm bring this up because like I said, that has now started happening as well and with it being a D3D error I'm thinking it's not a coincidence.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  20. Xodetaetl

Xodetaetl Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 660M 2GB
    Reports on trying the 2.0 Beta on Linux with Wine, for Pillars of Eternity (Unity engine) :
    The game starts, shows a black screen and mouse cursor then crashes before displaying the first logo. Without SweetFX it works perfectly.

Details:
    - Wine v1.7.38
    - clean prefix emulating Win 7
    - opengl32

OPENGL32.log: hastebin.com/raw/oduzijovod
    Wine's log: hastebin.com/raw/cugazanama
    Wine's log without SweetFX (shut down after first logo): hastebin.com/raw/oqovorepuk