Download & Discuss AMD Catalyst 15.4 Beta Driver for Windows OS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Good job AMD (I guess, I did not tried drivers to be honest, not interested in GTA).

I know this is not the place for it, but, can you work out a bit Linux drivers, no need to chase ultra performance, just make them consistent and solve the problem with swap-buffers extreme CPU usage in some games..., that would be nice, even with 30-40% lower performance, consistency would be appriciated, at least for non-legacy devices (HD5000+ series), since legacy devices work fine with open drivers.

In fact, I'm very disappointed that open drivers work far better for games that can work on open drivers (Trine 2 for example). I mean, don't get me wrong, from functionality/features point of view, AMD drivers are better then open ones (even better then nVidia ones in my experience), but we do not ask for Windows-like performance, but at least consistency and bugs fixes (up to 100% CPU usage on Trine 2 is not acceptable behaviour, regardless of GPU, while being silky smooth with open,a dn low CPU usage), not a big gamer here, but that is beyond terrible, and it would be nice to play some game from time to time ;).

2. thecremeegg

thecremeegg Guest

GPU:
    ATI 280x Xfire
    I unplugged my second screen and it seems to have fixed the issue. GPU usage is only at 50% on each card mind you but hey, at least it's playable now!

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    WHQL drivers take about a month for testing from Microsoft, last time I checked. You would have these on May if they were WHQL.

According to all reputable sources, even an R9 280x approaches Titan level performance in 1440p with these drivers. Sounds like you're full of feces.

That website is full of feces too. Specifically NVIDIA feces. Guru3d has a bench of its own, and it is nothing like that. Also, friends of mine who have this game with AMD cards, can confirm the feces coming out of that site's numbers.
    When I'll eventually have the game, I believe I will be able to confirm.

To the serious issue now:

Can we expect the same for The Witcher 3 Matt? :D

4. filterplus

filterplus Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290X 4GB
    Just finished a several hours gameplay, and tried to navigate different areas in game and tweak the graphic settings a bit. However, gpu usage is still relatively low compared to usual gaming scenario. Any suggestion to fix this would be appreciated:)

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    In those scenarios, do you have low fps? If yes, cpu bottleneck.

Try overclocking your cpu..

Set high res shadows to yes or just maybe distance scaling to max, that should help some of that utilization.. hopefully give it more.

You have an intel cpu, try unparking it.

Well 50% is a bit weird... doesn't it go into the higher ranges? .. How does the game feel for you, stuttery and slow ? .... Try unparking your cores.. check if your cpu overclock is stable. Set all settings to max, even scaling and so on, is it still hovering at around 50% usage? .. Maybe you're sitting at 60hz... so, that makes a difference. But still, maxing everything out you should see some of that gpu usage go higher. Try going to the woods, somewhere, where there's vegetation.. should be more there.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Low GPU usage is common if you frame cap the game.

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Well well well. Dragon Age: Inquisition now hangs when I try to load it and my CPU hits 100% forcing me to end process whereas the game worked perfectly with the previous 15.3 driver set. Most odd. Anything else I've tried has been just fine.

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    mantle or DX?

try deleting the shader cahce.

9. Newbie2012

Newbie2012 Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB-CustomLoop
    When will amd have the fps limiter with CCC?

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    win 10

11. Newbie2012

Newbie2012 Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB-CustomLoop
    Thanks

12. censure

censure Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    I have had alarmingly great experiences on two separate AMD based systems using these drivers.

My main gaming rig (FX8350, R290, W8.1) can run GTAV almost maxed at 1080p smoothly and responsively (no hitching or frame drops, no input latency with Vsync on). The only settings I pulled back on are MSAA (2x) and some of the shadow options (High and Soft, CH AMD Shadows cause stuttering for me). The experience is so good that it is nearly like paying a well optimized Mantle title... this is the first modern DX game I have played that has felt this smooth and responsive.

My low end gaming rig (X4 640, R260, W7) can run it pretty well with most of the settings running at mid-range.... within expectations based on my experience on my main gaming rig.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  13. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Just to be sure...the VSR "hack" still only works on 8.1/10TP but not on 7x64?

TY

14. MSIOCGenie

MSIOCGenie Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    AMDMatt, could you specify why SMAA is still not present in Far Cry 4? Swedish test site Sweclockers said that with FC4 1.8 and the press driver 15.3, FC4 was enjoying great scaling, and a functional SMAA. However since patch 1.9 this was removed, for some odd reason. Is this due to the developer or at AMD's request?
    At the time being, with 15.4, CFX is scaling pretty nicely, but I'd rather play with a single card and lower fps, than two with higher fps but no AA, since MSAA is completely broken in FC4.

15. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    What do you mean, is this going to be a Win 10 exclusive feature?

And when do we get Omega Phase 2 driver?

16. testooo

testooo Guest

GPU:
    HD5650 / OC
    Its been a while since AMD put a smile on my face. Also My mobility HD5650 extremely happy about this beta

I can confirm the following with 2 days testing on BF4 low setting dx11 win 8.1 pro.

* No memory leak ( so far )
    * Steady 60fps sometimes goes to 40 on big maps
    * GPU temp 2 degree less
    * Graphic wise - Smoother and fast turning in-game
    * CPU 60% as Ive got i7

So I am pleased with that, but AMD you must have done this ages ago.

Hope nothing will be broken in the WHQL :3eyes: , as I am traumatised From patches and final releases. :puke2:

Keep it up

17. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    I was just giving a naming example, not referring to the same driver.

18. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    Bezel off

With this driver, Bezel compensation is no more visible in CCC.
    Any one else having this issue ?

19. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Same thing as with .3 I get blackscreen and driver not responding. I gotta wonder what on earth are they doing at AMD at times. Back to the omegas.

20. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    What's wrong with Beta drivers, may I ask?