Grand Theft Auto V Graphics Performance Review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this preliminary review we benchmark Grand Theft Auto V (GTA-V) on the PC - many graphics cards are being tested and benchmark. We have a look at DX11 performance with the newest graphics card...

Grand Theft Auto V Graphics Performance Review

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Rockstar have done a fantastic job with this game imo, I've been impressed with the performance I've had in the little I've played so far. Great review as always!

3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Hilbert is the man...Thanks.

4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Nice job!

5. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Cool, a performance test from Guru - nice to see the 280x doing well.

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Looks like I won't need to upgrade my 2 7970GHz editions for this at 1440p, Tahiti still going strong lol

7. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I have to speak up for those with medium spec cards... You have included plenty of High - Ultra High end cards but very few at the lower ends and totally omitting relatively new cards such as the 750 and 750TI... They may not be powerful enough to run the game on high settings but at least they should be included for comparisons sake and not everyone spends £300+ on a GPU!

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    nice screenshots too

9. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    R9 290X is faster than GTX 780 Ti!???????????? NO!!! FAKE!! Because 780 Ti is more expensive and SHOULD be faster than 290X. :mad: :(

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    FCAT charts both show TitanX vs 290x 8gb, but you mention under 2nd chart that its for GTX980.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah! Cheers, fixed.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    "Again all tests have the best quality settings enabled (Ultra) and HBAO is enabled as well as 4xMSAA."

but it reads 2xMSAA on benchmark charts

Page 5

290 so strong :banana:

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Correcting as we speak ... I wanted the article online right away and have not had time to check or have another editor check it.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Def interested in this one.... Thx H.

15. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Ok. GK110 is bad optimized because GTX 680 is only little slower than GTX 780 non-Ti. :confused: :(

Therefore, NV will fix performance issue for GK110-serie, urgently!!

16. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    is there a real graphical difference with the advanced graphics turned on vs off? i cant tell. the game still looks beautiful without it. performance is about the same with or without them.

17. shandy706

shandy706 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    This line from the article is incorrect. :)

You can't release a game on consoles that aren't even out yet.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So this game is easily the best purchase I have made in awhile, runs great, it is very fun, and I cannot stop playing it!

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Good job Hilbert, do you have an imput on how is it possible that this game looks like it stacks vram in multi-gpu systems? Or is it a bug?

I have supposedly have 8192MB vram available in the graphics menu (I use about 7800MB of that), and I did slide pretty much everything to the max with 4xMSAA, TXAA, nividia PCSS etc. @1440p, even in advanced graphics I have everything but the first slider, which is only to the middle of the bar(I need like 8300MB of vram with that at max).

Surprisngly, the game runs VERY well even in these circumstances. I have 60 FPS almost everywhere in the city, outside them, in the outskirts, and I don't understand why, my FPS drops in the 40s there. Hence why I went for adaptive vsync, which works great. I could drop some sliders and have "pure smooth" 60 FPS all the time, but I prefer the slight drop now and again, because the extra visual quality makes it worth it.

20. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    I for sure had a good feeling about this game coming from the 360 version. I never preorder I have only done it 3x in over 20 years of gaming and this game on pc was my 3rd preorder.

Upon booting up the game the first time I just cranked everything up to max(except msaa) i turned everything on even advanced settings and set res to 3200x1800 and I was very surprised most of the map gets great fps. i just drove around in solo gta online last night for like 3 hours while watching daredevil series on netflix. a couple times in the heavily wooded areas i dipped down to 20fps for a bit but the strange thing is that the game still felt totally playable I had the steam fps counter on the whole time.

When i play later today im going to delve into the settings a bit and see what is really necessary. like for example i didnt notice much difference in the advanced draw distance as compared to maxing out the regular. and i might lower pedestrians a bit to see if that cuts down traffic slightly to make driving a little easier.

By far the most noticeable difference to me coming from the 360 version besides the graphics of course is the feel of the ui and just the responsiveness in general. everything just snaps! so fluid and smooth. and online doesnt feel like its chugging like it still does on the xbox one and ps4 versions do a bit.

Now to wait for port reports on MKX! i am a big mortal kombat fan but i did not feel confident about the pc version enough to preorder that. also i try to only spend 100$ a year on gaming so im over halfway through that already :(