i7 2600k

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aless83, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Answer is above. ^

3770K ---------------------> :micro:

2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You should rather be reading. Apart from the obvious things, like a larger die size, Sandy Bridge still had a soldered heat spreader. Newer generations only had regular thermal paste in between the die and the heat spreader, resulting in much higher temperatures and (often) limited overclocking headroom.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    No it is me who is confused by your posts.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Calculus I would read up on stuff before I start an argument. Because you're losing this one.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I'm not arguing at all, I'm legitimately confused.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Well why did you ask me if I was drinking?

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    There's more to heat generation than just power draw, looking into the history of Ivy-Bridge onward is a great idea. That said, a lot of people are way over the top in their claims. Ivy-Bridge had some sort of thermal paste between the die and the heat spreader, unlike Sandy which was soldered.

This causes problems with heat when you start to overclock, although only when you're applying a certain level of voltage. Generally you'll be fine on air up to about 4.4ghz before you run into thermal issues specific to Ivy-Bridge. Sometimes you'll net a little more, the chips are in no way gimped to the extent some claim. A 4.4ghz Ivy i5 will be about on par with a 4.6ghz Sandy -- it's not much to worry about really.

That said, a lot of people wanted more out of them and went through a process known as de-lidding where they removed the heat spreader in order to improve temps, which generally allowed for much better clocks.

That help?

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Darkest actually offered nice explanation and thats about it. No need to start arguing people but yeah, CalculuS lately is just asking for it. You need to chill dude.

9. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I get max temps of around 53-54c (even lower when gaming) with my 2600K at 4.5Ghz (1.32v) on a good air cooler. So good. I could push the thing much further if I wanted to but why even bother, performance is still godly.

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    That's true for Ivy Bridge but the two newer generations are even "worse". Devil's Canyon can be as hot as 80°C even without overclocking, using a good heatsink & fan. These don't really need any additional voltage to run really hot or limit overclocking.
    And that's where all these 4 generations seem to run into the same "performance limit" (at least unless you de-lid the newer ones, then they can be faster).

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Of course I was being specific to Ivy-Bridge, I'd have went for an X79/X99 platform if I'd wanted to upgrade after the launch of newer gens tbh.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Devil's Canyon is even good but first haswell cpu's ware just bad. My friend is stuck at 4.2ghz with his 4670k. CPU is just hot as hell and bad overclocker. I would rather keep my 3 years old Sandy than change with him, lol.

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes that's true, but both revisions are relatively hot. Plus, even though that's just a comfort problem, the vast amount of options needed to overclock them looked absurd to me.

A new "upgrade-worthy" platform should offer a lot more over a 2600k.

14. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I blame AMDs lack of progress for the Intel situation we have now. I'm getting antsy and am feeling the upgrade bug but there's nothing worth upgrading to, without spending crazy money anyway. It'd just be an upgrade for the sake of it anyway. I guess the 2600K will be around for a long time, certainly it will be good for gaming for ages what with the consoles having somewhat pathetic cpus.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I could of went with a new cpu, but I used my money on audio equipment instead. Do not regret the decision 1 bit. Nearly 2 grand on it. I`ll wait a bit then upgrade, but the performance of the 2600k at 4.6ghz is good enough for my needs.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    We're in the same boat tbh, I wont upgrade to another quad core and I don't intend to buy into AMD in its current state. Seems we're destined for something higher end, and luckily the prices shouldn't be that different now DDR4 is coming down in price.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I guess we are all hoping that Skylake will do miracles so finally have some new toys to play with. :D

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
  19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Definitely not worth jumping from gen to gen, you need to wait until a few have been released before it's worthwhile now. Not how it was once upon a time, where upgrades while not necessary were noticeable in the CPU department.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Def not buying another quad. The games at 1080p hardly showed a difference. Being at 1440p I would expect more of the same. 6 core or 8 core intel is in my future.