Would you like to join the Guru3D: OCZ SSD test team ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Question Hilbert, will the performance reviews involve such things as being provided tools or links to tools that allow us to monitor such things as program loading performance etc?

Like I know you said we have to submit several reports monthly, but are we going to be provided links to tools where we can actually check monthly performance of programs on the hard drive?

Like, I can't imagine me using such an imprecise method as using a stopwatch a few times a month and timing how long it takes for programs to start etc

2. syncore

syncore Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    I would be honored to be a part of this program. I've been a member here for over 10 years. I have used and continue to use the "old school" OCZ Vertex 2 as my primary OS HD daily for nearly 5 years now (since July 2010) without any problems whatsoever. :banana:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  3. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Nice competition gurus! Still on Z68 so future seems grim on the prereqs part. Volunteering to go X99 just for the sake of testing this precious little SSD ;)

I've been enjoying single 64GB Vertex 2 and 256GB Petrol drives in my old Hyper-V server and two 120GB Vertices 3 (RAID0) in my desktop machine for several years now. Never had any problem with any of them, but maybe I'm just lucky :p

At work, laptops were revived by replacing HDDs for Vertex 4 SSDs. VMware Workstation really, really liked that :D

But NVMe is very very tempting as well..

4. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Interesting (but not unexpected) it would seem ssd life program measures my vector wrong... it says it has written 7,2 TB, while ssd-z says its written roughly 23 TB

http://i.imgur.com/cJktmuJ.jpg

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    SSD-Z is more likely to be wrong, it even states that results will be wrong, it is pre-release

I tested SSD-life vs CrystalDiskInfo and both came back the same

6. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Hmm...

It appears its cause ssd life takes host writes, and ssd-z takes nand writes... which one is the correct one to look at i dont know, but nand writes sounds like the correct one.

http://i.imgur.com/z04Y8kH.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Im interested, only have Sata2 BUT im going to get a SATA3 PCIE card( in the next week or so ) as ive 2 SSD drives and want my Crucial M550 256Gig on SATA3( would only put the OCZ on Sata3 if i got it ).

But yep understand if youd prefer SATA3 mobos only.

8. armartins

armartins Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 5970
    I would love to be part of that. I'm an old and loyal OCZ consumer in terms of SSD. I have a trusty Vertex 2 60GB that still rocks on my MacBook Santa Rosa (2007 model). In my OS partition I use 2 vertex 4 in Raid 0 with zero problems. What really made me a costumer was that I have bought a second hand Agility 3 256GB from a guy that just bought stuff to test and resold it to me for a very reasonable price. That was one of the sandforce that died... but OCZ had replaced it I just sent then back my faulty unity and after it arrived there in less than one week I got my replacement. Now here's the kicker, I live at Brazil and very very few companies honor RMAs from here, let alone from a non registered first buyer.

EDIT: One of my Barracudas died, so I'm using a rather slow single 1,5TB HDD for my Steam Library and Media. A 480Gb SSD would be sweet. :)

9. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    I am interested in joining the test team.. My pc meets your requirements.. I use this pc daily and am willing to perform any specific test you would ask for..

<- My system specs are on the left.. Mobo/CPU listed below..
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel Core i7 3930k
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb

10. dreamss

dreamss Guest

GPU:
    770gtx x2
    i would like to test this ssd, currently im using 2x 840 evo 250gb on a sata raid 2xpcie2 and using the latest build of win10, also have a win8 install. my ssd raid is not being used as OS drive, its dedicated to games and handpicked stuff and has deduplication enabled (getting 20% savings).

The raid card has 2 free ports and can easly change to a 4xpcie raid card

I quite familiar with testing and stressing the SSDs and have handpicked drivers that get the best speed and diff set with TRIM

Single drive bench (single 250gb 840 evo):
    [​IMG]

2x Raid0 (2 250gb 840 evo):
    [​IMG]

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I wonder how many are offering to do this just to "test" reliability and performance....and how many are doing it strictly to get something free. I'd venture to guess that most just want something free, as evidenced by those that are signing up just to beg for a free SSD....

2 more that joined just because they want something free....

12. streakpt

streakpt Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Crossfire
    I would love to try this SSD, im looking for a new SSD to replace my current ones so this would be great. I was thinking of getting a Samsung 850 SSD but i wouldnt mind trying a OCZ one.

13. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    I've been using a vertex4 in my work laptop for some months now, it was used for 3 years before that in a server environment.

the 120 OS disk on my main rig is getting a bit tight lately.
    Havn't formatted this system since I set it up, and before that my vista rig wasn't re installed for 4 1/2 years until I replaced it.

Send all the SSD's!

I have a Z77 so should be eligible. :)

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't worry about it, rules & preference are in the OP anyway :)

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The point of this isn't just to "try" a new harddrive. It's a 2 year commitment to test, benchmark and review an SSD in a public forum. To get accurate performance data, the drive will need to be setup and used without being formatted for the next 2 years. Formatting will skew the results.

I actually find it comical how many people are popping up just to beg for something free.

16. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I'm kinda interested if the new Vertex is really good.

Like I've got a Vertex 3, A M4 and a Samsung 840 Pro and I notice only the slightest difference between the Vertex 3 and M400 favoring the Vertex 3, the Samsung 840 pro is vastly faster than the other two so its my OS drive due to tons of small file seeking.

Seems like lately the Samsung 840/850 Pro series is the drives to beat, would be interesting to test the hardware

*EDIT* Looking at all the posts, did any of the people read the rules?

Feels like being in a twitch stream where suddenly the streamer says "I'll be giving away a game", changes the title to "Giveaway" and suddenly 900+ people show up

*EDIT2* Hilbert I do a lot of video editing on my Samsung 840 pro, if I got the OCZ drive am I also allowed to use it for video editing or is would this be considered "Drive Torture?"

Just asking cause almost everyone I know of who reviews SSD's says "Don't do it!" cause it will kill them faster, cause bad blocks or something. My Vertex 3 and Samsung 840 pro haven't made a single peep though (Vertex 3 is my thrash drive on second encoding PC, Samsung 840 pro is where I do encodes with Staxrip etc and M4 I use for gaming)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
  17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    This thread reminds me of the game giveaway thread before it was moved to the fs/ft thread. New users cannot access it. I had pm`s me 1,2,3,4 post people asking for the gamecode in pm.

18. dreamss

dreamss Guest

GPU:
    770gtx x2
    Seems to me that the number 1 requirement is ppl who have taken the time to maximize their current ssd setup and done testing to bench different setups

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea it's pretty pathetic, but if open to the world, free is free, people will emerge from every nook and cranny

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As this thread does an excellent job of proving.