HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Thank you sir.

2. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    IIRC, "High Quality" mode consumes more VRAM, but I'm not sure, will re-test it to confirm!

Edit: Never mind, I've re-tested it and showed no diference in VRAM :kermit:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    You mean only for latest drivers ? Because I remember that on some titles Q vs HQ has subtle difference (with a bit more Vram usage as a con), maybe I speak only for some dx9 games and it is "just" Nvidia's AO,not hbao+(like DS2 or SKyrim I think), fair enough tho,you are the master on this man.:)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  4. Prime

Prime Guest

GPU:
    GTX570 1.25GB
    Heh, I don't have nearly the patience for that, though I definitely tip my hat to those of you who do.

I might have to play it with older drivers so I get DX10 lighting and SSAO (or just HBAO non-plus?) without bleeding or any other shortcomings (hopefully). Now since I've tried and failed to figure it out for myself, can anyone tell me which driver version I want?

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If you want to use the older drivers, I think it was 331.40 when the switch happened? So anything prior to that

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  7. Prime

Prime Guest

GPU:
    GTX570 1.25GB
    Was that the point when most of the official flags became useless? 331 was the switch from HBAO to HBAO+, correct? Or did they jump straight from SSAO to HBAO+? Forgive my newb questions. :p

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    There has never been any indication it was just HBAO before. References from within NVAPI point to SSAO. /shrug.

Either way, if you want the old AO. Those old drivers are it if you have a compatible GPU.

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Yes, the switch from SSAO to HBAO+ was made with the 331.40 BETA.
    Any drivers before that will use the god awful driver SSAO implementation :puke2:

But thanks to the excellent Guru3D and 3DCenter community, we have now created something that is far superior to anything available since the original driver SSAO implementation back in 2009 :)

There is nothing "useless" about driver AO now ;)
    But of course you need to put in a little effort, just like with forced AA and custom SLI profiles.
    This is part of being a PC gamer IMO.

10. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    I don't know if I did something horribly wrong or Capcom, but I can't get any flag (either AA or HBAO+) to work, there's not even a performance hit, no matter if HDR set to low or high.

http://i.picpar.com/XWrb.png

Assuming I didn't screwed up on my end, could they completely break compatibility? Is this even possible?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

11. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I fully agree here. Once you get your AA and AO dialed in to the right performance/quality to fit your needs it is 100% worth the effort. It can make older games look damn near current gen in some cases.

12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Looks to me like you don't have the right .EXE added to the profille.

"launcher.exe" wat? When the game is running, check what .exe is actually the process being run for RE5.

14. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Thats the only .exe that is in game folder right now, also, ReShede hooks to it just fine. I've done all my testing with re5dx9.exe and re5dx10.exe added to game profile, I simply removed them to see if they didn't cause some incompatibility, but that didn't work either.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  15. Kleio

Kleio Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780
    as normal ive actually asked this twice on here and no reply from anyone yet others get replies , would you have any idea if its possible of pointing me in the right direction of getting HBAO+ working on star trek online its f2p btw as well.The in game ssao is so bad looking it actually hurts visuals using it

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It is possible they broke or blocked it somehow.. it's happened before (CS:GO)

I dunno D: :(

17. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    AO was hugely improved in the new version of Dark Souls II, the DirectX11 version (Scholar of the First Sin) now has three SSAO settings, "Low", "Medium and "High".
    At "Low" setting you'll achieve the same result of the DirectX9 implementation, so it was mantained the same, at "Medium" setting, the algorithm looks to be completely different and showed a huge improvement over the previous implementation (used technique is similar to VSSAO2 from GeDoSaTo, but without the known issues), and "High" setting is even better, producing less haloing, which is probably linked to the amount of AO samples used in the effect (quality improves when downsampling).
    Of course, performance impact of "Medium" and "High" settings is higher when compared to "Low" setting, but is decent when compared to driver-level HBAO+ implementation (whichs is even higher when downsampling). I've found a working flag which is bleed and flicker free (TBH, haven't noticed any issue, but more testing is needed, and it was only tested on 16:9 resolutions).

No AO
    InGame SSAO @Low
    InGame SSAO @High
    HBAO+ Flag (0x00060000) (Subtle, but currently, strongest)

Another comparison of the ingame SSAO
    @Low
    @High

IMO, the improvement in SSAO was great, and now is very enjoyable, HBAO+ will always be more accurate but when talking about performance, I'll take this SSAO over HBAO+. (in this specific case OFC!) :cheers:

18. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    I guess, but complete lack of performance hit from forcing either AO or AA (granted, with later I've tried only two flags from the other thread) makes my think that maybe there are more profiles with "luncher.exe" listed, so driver gets confused and doesn't know which one to use? I'm gonna try using global profile, maybe that will work.

19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sounds reasonable IMO.
    You will probably need to create a special profile with the location of "launcher.exe" included.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You can also try renaming launcher.exe and see if the game will launch straight from the directory with steam running in the background.

You can also remove "launcher.exe" from the RE5 profile, try to re-add it and see if it gives you an error message stating that it belongs to another profile.

If it does, you can find that profile and remove the .exe from that profile and re-add it.

It's strange , because I still have an official profile for RE5 under Biohazard 5 that has a lot of specific flags for it (as you scroll down ,etc)
    [​IMG]
    RE5 too
    [​IMG]