GeForce GTX 980 Ti has 3072 CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 27, 2015.

1. angmar

angmar Guest

I thought this was pretty obvious by now but the reason the Titan is so expensive is cause of it's unlocked compute performance. It was the same way with the last Titan and the 780ti.

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Titan this time is expensive with no real reasons... it shouldn't cost more than 600$ at most... but ever since 970 and 980 nvidia faces zero competition... so they can, AMD would do the same if it was opposite situation.

980TI will come to beat 390X or to be slightly below it, i think TitanX with good oc will beat 390X, 2 more months...

3. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    the sole purpose of the titan X is to hold the price of the 980 ti artificially high. It's psychology 101 folks. very few people buy titans, it makes people feel they are getting a deal while they bend over and shell out 600+ bucks for a mid range card. waiting for AMD camp to respond....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I have a feeling that this might very well be AMD's turning point after a decade.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    They very sure of the 390X, either it gonna wipe the floor with TitanX, or gonna be slightly above but with more affordable price...

Then 980ti will come, so either nVidia knows something we don't, or they just looking to ruin AMD fun.

Anyway we need competition, so hope for best.

6. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Yep, what he said.

Realistically no card should cost above 600, inflation or not. There's simply no way to justify it physically as it's made from the same materials as always. NVidia and Intel (as Apple Inc) get away with it more on both the consumer and regulatory side. To make it worse the fanatics fall for it and are helping to create this price nonsense based on stupid benchmark lol.

If this continues we will have only ourselves to blame for allowing and supporting such markets. There's some truth in what I'm saying so no need to deny/defend it regardless how much one earns or can afford. it's just not right and it affects us all in the long run. Just look at what pro cards cost, soon there'll be no difference in price if this continues.

Divide and conquer!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  7. Guardian Hope

Guardian Hope Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 660Ti @1.2GHz
    Am I the only one that has a bad feeling about the GTX 980ti if the specs are "true."

The GTX 970 had the "same" specs as the GTX 980 and we know how well that turned out (good card or not).

The 980Ti may be marketed with the same exact everything as the Titan but until proof is shown that it's not going to end up like the 970 and be 5.5GB VRAM + 0.5GB "Cache RAM" I won't hold my breath.

Besides, 28nm is finally coming to an end... hopefully and we'll be on to Pascal.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thats ridiculous. They know they cant pull that stunt twice and get away with it without completely destroying faith in their products. The potential damage to their brand by being repeat falsifiers of specs FAR outweighs any benefit from it. Not to mention compounding whatever legal troubles they may face from the first time around.

9. f4nm4n

f4nm4n Guest

GPU:
    hd6850
    IMO nVidia can not release their flagship card anything less than full GM200. I think 390x will make them do that. HBM really gives AMD advantages to match if not beat full GM200. Unless nVidia wants to change "AMD 1st card can only match nV 2nd card"

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This, it's extremely unlikely and idiotic for nvidia to repeat the scheme (or something similar) in the near future. I also think most reviewers will test graphics cards a lot more for their vram after recent events... so I doubt we will have any surprises, at least in this department.

11. Guardian Hope

Guardian Hope Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 660Ti @1.2GHz
    True but when has "stupidity" stopped someone before? After playing Star Citizen I realized I needed a new GPU so if the 980Ti pans out I will buy it. The 660Ti - as good as a GPU as it's been to me has reached its point in the line.

I'll just wait until the reviews are in first.

12. Greglaz120

Greglaz120 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280 3 GB
    Just looking at Titan X vs 980Ti.So now what?Just the same GPU's with 980Ti having a bit better Base and Boost Clock than Titan X......yes also twice the Vram.Then again what will you do with LOL 12 GB's Vram?Today with 3-4 Gb's you are pretty much done, even for the future games.Even 6 GB's Vram that 980Ti has is way more than enough.Is it me here btw OR Nvidia just got auto-trolled themselves and their recent Titan X?It seems that way to me.They just can't even persuade ppl anymore to buy a GPU.They fail at lying even.

Look at that mess.If your mind is in the right position, you will NEVER go get a 12 GB's GPU.Why?Because until you get close to using the max amount of memory that card has....yeah not happening.Not even in 4K or 5K even.Not now not in the future even.And WHEN that happens, this GPU will be powerless like a 8800 GTX GPU is nowadays.Non-existant in other words.I can see easily through their market BS.

13. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    Nvidia is surely in the process of finding dev's to write a few games that would use 8GB of video ram. Gotta give the Titan X a reason to exist.

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I agree, by the time the card would hypothetically reach to filling the 12GB vram it would would be waaaay out of "juice". You'll have to get at least 2 cards, if not even 3 cards, to be somewhat "future proof"... and all this while the price of even just one card is insane (where I live I could buy 3x custom 970s for the price of one stock Titan X).

15. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Even if the 980ti is faster than the titan x you will still get people thinking that 12GB is better. I know some people having 1080p 60hz monitors and running gtx980 and I was like WTF. one of y buddies wants to go Titan x but he's running 120hz 1080p non G-sync. I'm just saying but you get some dumb people. Then he argue with me that if you sli 980 you have 8GB of vram. OMW but anyway if he want's to waste money on the wrong stuff the good for him at least i'm not a dumb idiot....lol. if you want to waste money then at least do it right.

Anyway I will agree that 3x 970's is beter than 1x titan in my opinion at anything between 1080p and 1440p. The 980ti will be the sweet spot for me. Not to much vram and if the specs are true then it should be faster than titan x

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Still some games that a 980 @ 1080p won't be able to keep @ 60fps solid when they're completely maxed out with full AA

17. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    Yeah agree, I don't think a 980 for 1080p is stupid at all.

I personally really hate jagged lines and will do anything I can to get rid of them, even if that means buying a second card just so i can turn up the AA.

Up until a few months ago when I purchased the Asus ROG Swift I was SLI'ing two 780 classifieds for 1080p and yet that still wasn't enough performance for some games!

I'm definitely looking forward to the 980ti and hope it's as good as the rumours say as my current 3GB Vram is a real problem.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The 970 was not marketed as the same specs as the 980. While they messed up on the ROP count. They were up front about the three SMX cluster being disabled. What they failed to convey to the consumer was, that they had made the memory controller part of the SMX clusters so disabling an SMX crippled a portion of the memory bus.

If the rumors are true and no SMX clusters are disabled the memory bus will not be affected.

19. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    You guys living in your gamer world should think about the fact, that not each Viz-Studio or Viz-Architekt goes Quadro, we often have to stay with the consumer products. So the 12GB Titan X is pricewise the holy grale for lots of us - and we are a huge market - for iRAy or Vray GPU-Rendering. Many of our scenes in 3dsmax, Cinema4D etc. are really huge when it comes to rendering - and GPU rendering is only possible if the complete scene fits into the graphics card memory. If it doesn't fit, rendering falls back to the CPU. So with those 12GB and the power of MAxwell i can now say, that GPU rendering finally starts to make sense! Thanks NVIDIA for not abandoning us, the small Viz-Studios and freelancers, who can't afford those expensive Quadro systems :)

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true them Quadro cards can cost several thousand dollars while the TitanX is just a $1000.