Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DSparil, Apr 15, 2014.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    All the reviews are raving about this game. I've only played like half an hour, but from what I've seen, it's great. now to play more.

2. WildAce

WildAce Guest

GPU:
    3x 4GB AMD 290's
    he is a troll

3. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Great game!
    Beatiful music, presentation, story...
    Superb atmosphere on this picture, (in motion)!!

[​IMG]

In game story events are great...
    My character:

[​IMG]

Lots of lore reading to get into it...

[​IMG]

4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Damn it I have to go to work, but what I played was amazing last night.

5. WildAce

WildAce Guest

GPU:
    3x 4GB AMD 290's
    Ended up making a portrait of Asami, Mako and Bolin as well for the rest of my party if anyone is interested.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Wow wow...where did this beauty come from
    Looks like Baldur's Gate done properly.
    I am thoroughly impressed. Hope they add AI scripting.

Witcher 3 may just as well flop now. I wouldn't play it for FREE in the middle of summer on my 300W heater anyway.
    Not when this beauty chugs at ~50W(GPU)+30W(CPU).

7. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    WOOT! I can't wait to pick up this game, although I am committed to finishing the RPG I am currently playing. If I bought this now, I know I would never finish the one I started. So I've decided once I finish that, I will pick this up and dive full speed ahead into Pillars :D

When I do get it, I am thinking of going with GOG.com for the DRM free version. Anyone else buy it from GOG?

What in the heck are you talking about?

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I cancelled my ShopTo.net key (they claimed they would only send the keys out on release day and I never got it yesterday) for the CDKeys.com one and was able to download and play this yesterday evening.

First impressions are that the game is very good, though it admittedly starts off very slowly, introducing one then two new characters to your party before killing both off prior to reaching the first town (since this happens within the first few hours I do not consider it a spoiler per se). I have just got to a point where the story is starting to get more interesting and the areas populated with more NPCs. I currently have three party members, though one I almost missed but only recruited last second when I decided to finish a minor quest first (exploring a ruined temple) prior to heading to the next town.

The writing is superb; very descriptive and well-written with most NPCs having plenty to say. You can even chat to your party members. Not all of it is voice-acted unfortunately but considering how much dialogue there is then that is not really that much of a surprise. One minor irritation is that in the spoken sections, the text still has descriptions between the narrated parts which are near-impossible to read at the same time, making for a slightly jarring experience. Obviously, that would not be an issue if there was no spoken dialogue so it's just a hang-over I guess from the 'old days' when these games had little or no voice-acting at all.

Graphically the game is fairly nice if a little static due to the use of pre-rendered background art and looks best when fully zoomed out. However, you can zoom right in which shows off detail on the 3D-rendered characters and enemies but unfortunately makes the background art look blocky and unsightly in the process. A minor point really given that you will be playing zoomed out for 99% of the time anyway but it's a shame the developers could not have retained the same isometric viewpoint but used realtime 3D rendered backgrounds instead. That way trees and foliage could animate and the backgrounds would have a little more life to them (plus it would allow you to rotate the view). I understand they wanted to have an old school feel to the game but since the characters are 3D why not the rest of the graphics? The old school feel comes from the isometric view which does not need pre-rendered art necessarily.

Combat has been simple so far as my party do not have enough abilities but it can feel a little slow, waiting for each member to take it in turns to whack the enemy (yeah, yeah, it's old-school, I know!) and some enemies like spiders take a silly amount of hits to kill (this is when it's a party of three vs. one as well). I have just got a wizard though and combat is becoming more fun.

One thing I do like in this game is the way the inventory shows equipment and armour for each character with all the other stuff such as gems, flowers, herbs, etc, in a chest. It is an efficient way to keep things tidier IMO and I like it. Forgive me if this has always been the "old-school" way of doing inventories but I do not recall it.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Holy crap, I'm in love with this game!!!!!

Combat is very smooth in this game, very addicting! In a very odd way, it sort of reminds me of the original Diablo. I cannot place my finger as of why, but I get that vibe from it...

Runs great on my system, no hiccups!

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    loving it. old school stuff

11. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Turns out when you don't make watered down romance simulators RPG players like your games even without main stream press handing you GOTY awards... Huh, who'd have thought?!?

Also, since the game is out now can't we change this to Pillars of Eternity Official or w/e? Maybe..?

12. sidz

sidz Guest

GPU:
    msi r9 290
    loving this game, divinity: original sin resparked my enthusiasm for this genre and this scratches the itch perfectly :)

13. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    This, I think.:)

[​IMG]

14. WildAce

WildAce Guest

GPU:
    3x 4GB AMD 290's
    except that image is of sarcasm, and the other guy is just clueless.

15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    So this is better than Original sin?

16. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I got mine on GOG.

17. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Yes, I know it's sarcasm, but it's also good in showing mentality of some gamers.

^ Got mine from GOG as well. Sadly, only basic edition, due to other games.
    I'm finally going to start playing today, see if I'm missing much on soundtrack.

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It's different, harder, more tactical. About the same amount of voice acting I think. I would honestly rate the divinity combat as much more fun with the fluid and element system.

But, already, the story on this I would say is better, especially the choices, there's a lot of different outcomes you can do.

The soundtrack is in the game folder though, just not really tagged and in ogg format.

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    He's been posting utter crap like that for years, spending five minutes reviewing his post history proves that. He's definitely a troll, he just doesn't post often enough for anything to be done about it.

That aside, I spent an hour or so playing the game last night and had an absolute blast. Granted I spent most of that in the character creation section, I suspect I'll have a lot of fun trying out different classes.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ha! Character creation is my (and not only mine) favorite part of RPG game.
    Especially in an old style RPG and when there are stat points to (re)allocate.
    And when there is a new system to it... my oh my :banana: