Download & Discuss AMD Catalyst 15.3 Beta Driver for Windows OS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Mar 20, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    :roll::roll:

2. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    I got a quick question for you guys, don't know much about VSR so this will probably sound like a dumb question, but I am wondering does VSR provide the same exact picture quality as having an actual monitor that does the resolution natively?

So basically when I VSR a game to 1440p on my 1080p monitor, I am wondering if the picture quality looks exactly the same as if I was running the game on native 1440p monitor ??

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Someone on the AMD devs forum just asked it on downsampling and was told yes it's exactly the same.

I dunno about VSR though, guess your eyes are the judge.

Actually it must be, I've seen screenshots.

4. rongtw

rongtw Guest

GPU:
    asus 1060 strix
    anyone else getting Display driver stopped responding error ?

5. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    OMG... no, of course not.
    If you have a 1080p Monitor, with downsampling or VSR, or DSR, or every other software solution you won´t have the same quality as ona a 1440p display, because those pixels ARE NOT THERE physically. Those processes just reduce the effect of not having this resolution.

Sorry, i´m not upset by the question, i´m upset because of the answer...

6. TorrentG2

TorrentG2 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2 GB OC
    Get the "crap" off the machine. Something is causing it and it's not the driver. Could be your security, overclocking app, other driver, or any number of things. (Something else starting with Windows?)

If you have trouble finding out, we can look for clues. Type msinfo32 in Start. Enter. On screen that opens, Ctrl+S to save. Upload that somewhere and give us a link.

While you're at it, check to make sure your RAM is set well for its specs (SPD). CPU-Z app can help you do that. SPD and Memory tabs. If you have mismatched modules, it's best to avoid that.

For good measure, another "while you're at it" <<< update mobo UEFI/BIOS to newest.

7. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    YES

It was only once when I was watching a video on youtube with the chrome browser.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No problem at all here.
    What is changed in the registry does not affect the functions of the driver, it just enables an already existing driver feature.
    What you get is the standard Windows recovery after the driver has crashed. Unless you have specific software that causes problems as stated in the driver's release notes, you either need to file a report to AMD for a specific game/app, or look for hardware issues.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you had a 1080p monitor your downscaled res would be 1080p.
    Virtual res is higher..guess it uses some interpolation I don't actually know tbh. I say so hence the blur. But the frame is rendered at far above the monitors res then downscaled when it gets there. It's not sent to the display and then upscale. I'm not sure what you mean?

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Another PR BS.

Your monitor res is your monitor res no technique can change this!

The only thing that VSR, DSR, GeDoSaTo or any other downsampling solution is make the image looks better in your monitor res rendering the image in a higher resolution than your monitor support and reducing it it to your monitor resolution.

This image process get ride of most jaggies in image aplying an anti-alising
    technique in this case scaling down a higher res image to your res.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing_filter

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    @Pill Monster

Nice recap. :)

Take care of yourself: AMD "Defenders" and fanboys are weak now in this "·$% storm but they will come back for sure!

12. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero

That's exactly what I assumed as it was the most common sense answer to the question, the pixels just aren't there at the end of the day
    It's why VSR'd 1440p is blurrier compared to leaving the monitor in it's native resolution 1080p, when in reality the higher the res the crisper it should be because of all the extra pixels.

When I first switched 1440p on, everything felt too small I had gotten used to 1080, but now when I try to switch back to 1080p everything seems so huge and in my face, like there's literally no screen space to fit my game into.
    This is basically forcing my hand into buying a FreeSync monitor around 30 inches in size. Just waiting for a few more options to come out so I can compare and shop.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well that was a surprise. I didn't quote them deliberately. lol

My browser must be playing up.

14. Aaron123

Aaron123 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070
    How are these compared to the 14.12 drivers in Battlefield 4?

15. Michalko

Michalko Guest

GPU:
    a good one
    These are practically same drivers as 14.12.. Only CFX profiles are different.. So same in BF4..

16. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Yes.
    But would be way more sharper if they had used an algorithm like lanczos or some variation. They are probably using some cheap bilinear on VSR.

Still, a proper configured SMAA + downsampling is really a neat way to get rid of jaggies on most games for me.

17. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Two BSOD's in last day when using flash, didn't have this problem with Omega's.

18. craven68

craven68 Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 1080ti 4x ultra
    These driver are pretty good for mono gpu like they were in omega driver since they are the same :)

19. TorrentG2

TorrentG2 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2 GB OC
    I'll help ya fix your system if you provide the crash dumps.

Can't hurt to also check for blown caps on the mobo. This is a symptom of that, but it's probably unlikely. Probably some driver I won't like.

As always, use standard SPD and CPU/RAM/GPU/GDDR clocks until sorted for sure.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  20. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Thanks TorrentG2, but it's petty much the Catalyst 15.3 Beta problem, when I switch back to Omega's this doesn't happen.