EA Infects Battlefield Hardline with new ghastly DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    You are an idiot. And a troll.
    You don't even understand what the real problem is.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I'm fairly certain you know who writes these headlines.

You are missing the point btw. First off, I have learned you can make 5 changes before you get locked out of the game for 24 hrs.

So if you have 2 or 3 PCs in your home for the entire family and do a few BIOS updates and perhaps a HW upgrade to one of the PCs then you are out.

Thing is, if I make too many HW changes and say Windows starts to invalidate I hit a re-validate button and boom, we are good to go and activated again.

EA forces me to wait 24 hours to play something as simple as a game. This all is happening on one PC, same OS install. Why can Microsoft allow me to accredit Windows within seconds, and why does EA force me to wait for 24 hours? I mean I can understand it with Windows, sure. But a game ?
    Also what business does EA have scanning every single bit of my PC, which is private, and use that information against me ? What other info is EA collecting that we are not aware of ?

Steam also has massive DRM, but its good working DRM. Within your account you can have one PC active under a range of PCs in your house. And heck I can swap out as many videocards, CPUs, BIOS updates or whatever without me being locked out of the games we pay money for.

Now I understand locking out is unlikely for most of you, this issue will not have an effect on 98% of the users out there. But why am I not allowed to make HW changes to MY own PC without EA locking me out of a game ?

Seriously, I am a LEGIT paying user who does not deserve to be treated like a cheater. That's the moral of the story here.

3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Isn't the idea of Origin that you can play games on multiple computers when you're on the same account? And the account itself is already DRM, so why do you need a second, even more intrusive one? Gosh, I really hope companies that do crap like that go to heck!

I'm pretty sure them blocking you from the game you bought because of spying for your hardware is illegal in the European Union, too.

Not that I'm interested in Hardline or any of the Battlefield games which don't allow for private servers on the LAN where you can play co-op with your friends and the rest filled with bots anyhow, but EA's practices still disgust me.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'm sorry, but if it were me doing the game reviews, I would never do another one from EA again. At least Ubisoft was able to get you straight. This is BS imo and it should have never happened. Period.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    DRM in itself it pretty pointless, it doesn't affect pirates at all as it gets removed before being released, and other than online only, the cracking groups can crack just about anything anyway, if the game is worth the effort - so why cripple the game for genuine owners?

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think there are any privacy issues with the game scanning your hardware, is that not a requirement for every single game.
    Surely you would have a broken game if it didn't scan the hardware.

We need large well known websites to make a fuss about this, they will get a response from EA alot easier than any one of us doing it ourself, and means there will be something put in place incase this does affect consumers.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Rules and regulations are around to keep honest people honest. That is the only point to them.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    anit it stinker? DRM on PC game dont help it just tend to aggravate the customers. most companies know this and have admitted to this yet they still try and end up with customers that just say screw it and crack the product the bought to begin with. just so the can play the game they bought!

It actual rather funny if you think about

like said ea been on **** list for long time much like gamestop i refuse to buy anything from them

9. movsxd

movsxd Guest

GPU:
    -
    I may be looking at the wrong places (I don't shop around much anymore) but with all too frequent updates, DLCs, online stuff and other reasons I cannot immediately imagine I have a feeling that perhaps the so called good old days of everything readily available are gone or about to be gone. I mean, cracking groups still do it for sport and do first release ASAP but soon after that you're often out of luck.

DRM is more or less unfortunately winning the fight.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    DLCs can be unlocked with a few lines in a text file in most cases, or the DLC gets pirated and released as an update if it is not already present, the only thing that is difficult for them to pirate, not impossible, is online play (MP) - but cracked servers can also be made

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    DRM is only winning the fight when it comes to Steam, Valve have cleverly managed to convince PC gamers it's the iTunes of gaming, so lap it up and even go out their way to double dip so they have a Steam version.

Origin has done a pretty good job as well though, the software is the lightest of all the DD clients and the only to have a refund system in place, which makes you think they would try and avoid bad PR like this.

This is likely all a non event though, those who hate EA wouldn't of got it anyway, while those who don't will get it if they want it and won't let this news affect their purchase.

12. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Just BOYCOT EA is that so hard to do lol

Im btw also less and less fan of steam also not only it becomes a social bloody network its traitor to PC and keyboard mouse, also by become a controller console platform plus DRM also tightens same as Origin.

**** steam and Origin or Uplay.

GOG.COM is wher i buy my games.

The Witcher 3 100% DRM FREE!!!...all DLC FREE!!!... on GOG.COM!!!

13. movsxd

movsxd Guest

GPU:
    -
    But Steam is! I mean, sure, it's overhyped, living on its past achievements (even sales are often better elsewhere nowadays) and the rest of the platform (especially the community forums), their other projects and, now that you mention it, their no-refund policy is a major fail.

Steam is non-invasive, though. With offline play, too. I don't feel a need to fight against it (except in some rare cases of modding). I used to have a new card each weekend back when I didn't have my own and was borrowing from work (other stuff, too) and at no point ever Steam complained. Windows did once or twice but that's it.

If any DRM can be done right (sort of), Steam has indeed cleverly managed it.

14. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    All tho i understand why people pirate this im not fan of this thats why i refuse buying games with first day DLC or buy DLC ext.

Thats only way to go DON'T BUY, pirate only ruined the whole industrie more then it do any good.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Boycotts accomplish nothing though.

It makes no difference when consumers do it as the amount who notice isn't enough to be noticed, and if websites do it they get abuse or even boycotted themselves for not benchmarking/reviewing the big name games.

16. Throbb

Throbb Guest

So you decide to make hardware changes to all the PCs in your house, and after each change, load up Hardline. All with in a 24hour period.
    This does not affect a regular consumer.

17. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    Its doing more harm then you know when my wallet stay close believe me.

I boycot for years and it helped me a lot not to support greedy companys.

Last game i bought from ubisoft or EA is 2006.

If people all would think nothing helps yeh then nothing happens im glad i dont listend to guys like you on this kind of advice:)

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Exactly, it would only work if everyone / the majority did it, which they don't

Take a plane hijacking for example, if the rest of the passengers got up and jumped the hijackers, it would be over in seconds, but no-one wants to be that first and maybe the only one to do it, so three guys manage to take over a plane with 200+ people on it

19. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    EA can go f*ck themselves. They rake in billions per year and are worried about losing a few thousand dollars in sales?! Thank you EA, much like Ubisoft I will continue to wait and d/l a cracked version than waste my money on this garbage. Looks like Blizzard still has it right and I will gladly keep giving them my money!!

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My opinion against EA and Origin had mellowed down and then they do this. Thanks for the reminder, EA.

Patches and DLC get released for cracked copies. They don't miss out on anything important.

+1