EA Infects Battlefield Hardline with new ghastly DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I haven't had that issue with Crysis Games yet. I did buy them on steam though.
    Personally I dont see 1 problem with cracking a game if you legally already bought it.
    Ive had to do it with Shift 1 cause of this.
    I have a vanilla copy that is backed up on a drive cause I have mine heavily modded to make it a much better game.

I personally dont buy EA games at full price. I wait till they are dirt cheap.
    I paid $6 for each Shift game, Dead Space games all under $10.
    I didnt even pay $40 for BF4 digital deluxe Feb 2014.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I very highly doubt that. Even though it would be funny. A pirated copy removes said hardware limit, that's the point of the crack. And like any modern online game, cracked copies do not permit online play thanks to login Accounts associated with keys.

This is more likely a very bad attempt at preventing people from sharing legitimate copies of the game. One account for one person, one copy of a game for one person- it's very appealing to some companies. Yet another reason why I still think Valve is still a better company, their family sharing on Steam works against this thinking and functions great.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Looks like EA is gunning for the day in which the only people running its games are hackers and pirates. (Paying customers love jumping through hoops just to play the game they paid for. Good job, EA.../sarcasm) Some publishers make profits in spite of themselves, so I guess EA is only interested in the lowest profits the company can attain.

Here's a suggestion: cut the price in half, scrap the DRM, and watch as sales triple (at least.)

4. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    You'd think limiting the account usage to one connection at a time would be enough. I'd like to know what EA has to say about this.

5. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    "at what point will the industry realize they are killing the PC game market themselves?" - HH

Well said! :thumbup:

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    There isn't alot of consistency with EA though, this sort of thing seems to get done on a per game basis and doesn't seem to be a company wide thing.

It's stupid doing it on a game that you know is likely to get used as a benchmark on review sites though, and while it's likely it wont affect the majority of people, the badopress can't be good.

Saying that, bad press has never done EA much, if any harm, I think they the much thrive on it or something.

7. NiscoRacing

NiscoRacing Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB (WC)
    Just boycott this game.

Don't do any benchmarks on it!

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think HH has a choice at the moment, I think he is still locked out of the game.

With DX12 and Vulkan arriving soon, game benchmarking is going to go to increase alot by gaming websites, so you just can't have these sort of restrictions.

Personally, I thought this was pretty much a MP game so had little need for DRM, but I fail to see how this solution would help cheating so it must be to restrict account sharing.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Original Crysis games before it hit steam where on disc they had limited install count that uninstall it did reset that install count,

10. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I bought BF3.
    I bought BF4.
    Not doing the same mistake third time.

11. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Bought BF 1942, 2 and 2142 never bought anything from EA since the DRM crap not even dodgy copies i hate EA with a passion even if the game looks good it's done by EA so will be riddled with so many bugs you wonder how it got past Alpha stage!!

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will say it again

EA its in the game!

13. TDZGamer

TDZGamer Member

GPU:
    GTX780 DCII OC/3GB
    EA killed Westwood, Mythic, Maxis and DICE. Just to mention some studios that have produced fantastic games BEFORE they were acquired by EA.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    You naughty person Hilbert... for shame... to think that you would actually want to use a video game to benchmark video cards...

*shakes head with disgust*

*headbutts table*

I installed Crysis 2 a few days ago because I wanted to play it again... i clicked play... and it popped up with an activation box saying that my game wasn't activated... The game is on my Origin account... WHY DOES IT NEED TO ACTIVATE IT'S MY ****ING GAME ON ORIGIN AN ONLINE VIDEO GAME SERVICE WHAT IN THE ACTUAL **** EA....

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Gotcha. I never bought the Crysis games till they hit steam.
    I used to be on a very limited budget for buying games back then.
    Plus I didnt have a kick ass rig back then.

I only had a X2 5000+ 3.1ghz, 4gb DDR2, 8800gts 512 in 2008 era before my q6600 rig.

16. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Are they going to pull the same bullcrap like they did with you with Anno 2070 by giving you and ONLY you an infinite key for hardware changes and everyone else is screwed, and then claim its "Fixed"?

17. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    So you change your hardware 8 times in a 24 hour period and you are locked out for a 24 hour period!!!! GHASTLTY!!!! WORST EVER!!! Think of how many people this going to effect, literally DOZENS!!!!!! OH NOES!!! GHASTLY!!!1 INFECTED!!!! HYPERBOLE!!!!!! EA WORST EVER!!DRM!!!!

Geez people get a grip, you're like toddlers. Who writes these headlines btw? Bravo, they sure know how to get hits and stir up the masses.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    There is an axiom...no such thing as bad press. That is what any media exposure has evolved to. All that matters is that your name is out there.

Enthusiasts are a small drop in the bucket of the gaming population. How often are mainstream rigs upgraded? Attempt to quell cheating and piracy and only stir up say 1% of your consumer base...would seem like a no brainer business decision. The numbers most likely are not accurate but the concept is what I am getting at. What needs to be addressed is having a special key given to review sites; as mentioned in an earlier post.

As far as the Cyrsis series, they even made an official tool that would reduce the number of installs so it could be installed past the so called limit. That tool was around way before the games even hit Steam.

Boycotting will not work unless the message is repeatedly broadcast. But even then it is an exercise in futility at times. Each year a new player base becomes of age to replace any disgruntled individual that leaves. So unless the message is repeated ad infinitum, it's futile and only amounts to momentary frustration at days end.

Legitimate online petitions are about the only item that works. That instrument lets it be seen how many individuals have been riled up enough to speak with their wallet. This is algorithmically calculated into estimated dollars that will not be flowing into their coffers. If the amount is tangible enough, then an attempt to correct the situation will be made. Otherwise a deaf ear is turned. So this news can go viral all it wants. If nothing is done to legitimize its existence, it amounts to free advertising at the close of a typical business day.

EDIT: kudos to Hilbert for getting the wheels turning. Now all that is left is to see how loud a squeak can be made with them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  19. s1DDy

s1DDy Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti
    so EA just inserted another nail.... crappy single player and a reskin of BF4 multiplayer and now this DRM..., i'm lolling atm XD to bad for poeple that preordered this piece of wasted harddisk space.. :3

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well, you can see who writes these headlines, and i think it's just HH venting some frustration than trying to increase site traffic.
    It's the difference between him being able to use a game and not use a game for an article, or a review of new hardware.

I agree it's nothing any normal consumer has any reason to complain about though, but gamers tend to be overly emotional so sometimes like to vent.