Enable VSR on all GCN cards and enable 4k with 290/x with 15.3 Drivers Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, Mar 25, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Enable VSR on 5000/6000 series and all GCN cards guide.

After massive experimentation and editing, the guide has reached its final form :chainsaw: :
    Required Software: Catalyst drivers from 14.12 and on, Wagnard's VSR Tool, DDU, Windows 7, 8.1.

1) Uninstall everything and your current drivers using AMD Catalyst Install Manager from the Programs & Features. Do not restart when prompted at the end.

2) Run DDU. Press Yes, it will restart you in Safe Mode by itself, where it will run by itself again. Select AMD and press "Clean and Restart".

3) When the restart is over, install the AMD drivers. Do not restart. Run Catalyst Control Center, and make sure it opens.

4) Restart and open and close CCC again.

5) Run the VSR tool and restart.

PS: According to aireca, if you want to use GPU upscaling for your panel, you have to disable it first from CCC, then enable VSR, restart, and finally enable GPU upscaling again for it to work.

Edit: If you are a masochist and you want your desktop in a VSR resolution to be less blurry, follow Pill Monster's advice and in Control Panel --> Display, tick the "Let me chose one scaling level for all my displays". It does wonders with the blur, but it cannot be 100% solved.

Thanks to Vbs for the original batch files, Wagnard for the tool, myself for the reg changes, and AMD for not blocking them yet :infinity:

Below are the old instructions with links to the old VSR files.
    Hello everyone, since this is spread now over three threads, I decided to write a little guide on how to do it here.
    Software Requirements: Windows 8.1 with Update 1 x64, AMD Catalyst 15.3, the VSR batch files created by Vbs, Display Driver Uninstaller.
    Hardware Requirements: Any GCN (and even maybe not, please help us 6000 series owners) card, DVI cable connection (that's what's this has been tested on, feel free to experiment).

1) Uninstall your current drivers using AMD Catalyst Install Manager from Programs & Features, and make sure you select the "Express uninstall ALL AMD software option". When it is done do not restart.

2) Run Display Driver Uninstaller, it will ask you if you want to restart in Safe Mode. Select Yes.

3) In Safe Mode, Display Driver Uninstaller will run by itself. Select the Delete and Restart button for AMD. It will do whatever it needs to, and restart you back to Normal Mode.

4) Install the 15.3 Drivers. When the setup is complete, restart as requested.

5) When you are back, open Catalyst Control Center. You don't need to do anything in it, but make sure you have opened it at least once. It doesn't have to stay open for the next step.

6) After opening CCC at least once, run the respective cmd file in the zip. They are named "Tahiti" and "Hawai", but the general rule of thumb is that the "Tahiti" one is for older GCN cards (7000 series, R9 280x etc) and the "Hawai" one for newer ones. You should see a few "Completed successfully" lines, and then a "Done, close the window and restart!" message. Do exactly that.

7) You should have extra resolutions in Windows now, usable in the games. With the 15.3 driver the VSR option does not appear in CCC, but it works.

TL;DR:
    Clean install the 15.3 Driver, run CCC at least once, run the respective cmd closer to your GCN architecture, restart, you have VSR (but not in CCC)!
    Tested in Windows 8.1.1 x64 with a DVI connection.

EDIT#1: It seems that 4k resolutions are not unlocked for 290/x cards with this. If anyone manages to get it working, please post here or PM me.

EDIT#2: If any of you have this working with anything except a GCN card (5000 series, 6000 series etc), do tell!

EDIT#3: sammarbella found a way to take the driver files that asder00 found, and integrate them into drivers that we can install. It is experimental and I haven't tried it yet, but it apparently works.

EDIT#4: According to reports, the Tahiti.cmd unlocks 16:9 resolutions and the Hawai.cmd unlocks 16:10 resolutions, regardless of your actual hardware.

EDIT#5: Check Wagnard's App for enabling VSR! Use it instead of the cmd files.
    People have them working on 5000 and 6000 series cards! :banana:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    What are you talking about? VSR is working with Catalyst 15.3 BETA

//EDIT: Ohh, I see. It's an unreleased/partialy done SW implementation. Good job.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. jeckop

jeckop Guest

GPU:
    2xR9-290-H2O@1100/1400
    seem that with this trick you can enable it on pretty much any card and 4k on 290s :)

4. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    @PrMinisterGR

There should be another file to undone all the changes, or does unistalling driver and installing from beggining will revert stock settings disable VSR?
    Cuz I want to try that but I have 16:10 1680x1050 display and don't wont to brake the windows instalation, if this doesn't work :)
    But Thanks for the tutorial step-by-step.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Vbs is the powershell expert here, I simply modified his scripts. Clean uninstall of the driver using DDU will remove all and any modifications. I would recommend that over any registry trick to undo changes.

6. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    just make restore point before this mod and if you don't like it restore back.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Being a software implementation as test is speculation. I think more that VSR IS a software implementation and they messed up.

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    how about just the regentry to add 4k to 290s?

9. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    You get that with this cmd-file, correct? I am on the verge on trying this out on my roommates pc, who has a 290.

10. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i already have the others and the checkbox, as i have a 290, i just want to add 4k if possible.

11. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    Use hawai.cmd that's it.
    Or just the value:
    Code:
    "BestViewOption"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,08,00,00,\
      00,02,00,00,00,c8,00,00,00

12. xx4L0Mxx

xx4L0Mxx Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 970GTX 4G
    I followed the Instrctions to the letter, but I get no 4k resolution. Maximum is still 3200x1800.

2 x r9 290 crossfire - DVI-HDMI

Maybe i'm being stupid or something.

The original modded drivers that asder00 posted don't work properly with crossfire for me.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks all.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I do not have a 290/x to test it, but reportedly the settings on the Hawai.cmd file give 4k.

14. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Ive just test it, dont work on my hd7870
    I use tahiti.cmd with official 15.3 beta with dvi-hdmi cable on win8.1

15. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    I can confirm that VSR works in Windows 7 x64 and for Radeon 7870, big thumps up for that, but it's "only" 2048x1536(4:3) for us with 16:10 monitors :( It would be amazing to see 2560×1600!

Thanks!

16. dmr2

dmr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 280x
    works with 14.12. omega on win7 x64 also.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Use a program called CRU and add 2560x1600 to your system. It might work.

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Did you do all the steps? The opening the CCC after the installation is a very important step.

We don't do anything really, you get what AMD has preprogrammed in. I don't believe there is a reliable way to get higher resolutions with the least fuzz.
    The importance of this is that it proves that there is no reason to exclude any hardware from it.

19. dejan_ibanez

dejan_ibanez Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290X
    it doesn't work
    I also did everything right. No 4k VSR, max vsr 3200x1800 ??

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Alright. The max VSR you get is the max VSR that AMD has unlocked. Apparently with the 15.3 driver that's the max that can work. The registry setting doesn't seem to matter.

Unless anybody reports success with 4k with the 15.3 drivers here, I'll update to top post.