Windows timer resolution tool in form of system service

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes, i tried both elevated and default.
    I tried yours and now i get this:

[​IMG]

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You downloaded C# version bundle, extracted it to some folder and then downloaded PowerShell script to the same folder?
    I see that script runs not with elevated privileges. Run PowerShell as Administrator and then execute script (within that elevated session).

3. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, i can't make it work, i thought it would be easier and i remember that it worked when i had Win7..

***Edit: Ok, i installed it fine with admin rights in powershell, thanks for the help :)

It reports ''0.501ms'', is it ok ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Just rounding in translation of Win API values to milliseconds. There is division of two integer values and casting it to float one.

5. elveda

elveda Guest

GPU:
    P8P67 LE
    Hello mbk1969,
    first, thank for all your guides and tweaks!
    i have one question about windows (8.1) is it possible to optimise my windows for online gaming which is using udp? (counter strike global offensive)
    i cant send u a pm because i have not 15 posts yet

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Most probably it is possible to optimise. But due to facts that I don`t play online games and that I know zero about networks I am unaware of tweaks. Sorry. I am sure you will find hundreds of web pages devoted to requested optimisation.

But are you sure online games use UDP? This protocol doesn`t guarantee the delivery of packets (datagrams).

You better ask in this forum - http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13 (or in this - http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  7. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Yes games pretty much always use udp.

Anyways, I was wondering. I installed it and even though I can't find it amongst my services I can see the effects when starting games that are in the .ini file. What is the servicename btw?

Anyways the reason I'm requesting assistance is because it won't go lower than 1ms. While I doubt it makes a huge difference I knda would like to make it go to 0.5 if possible. As far as I can tell nothing else sets it because it's at 15 ms without the service, ie when nothing is running that's not in the ini.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Display (user friendly) name is "Set Timer Resolution Service", and short (API and script friendly) name is "STR".

Edit: In Command prompt you can execute "sc.exe query STR". In PowerShell you can execute "get-service STR".

Go to "Event Viewer => Windows Logs => Application" and search for events with Source="STR" and ID=0 with following content: "Minimum=156250; Maximum=5000; Current=5004". Does your event state "Maximum=5000"?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Thanks. I do not get an entry in the logs. I had some services disabled, that shouldn't be related to the event log, but I have the same result with them back reenabled.

Edit: Nm I'll reinstall, reporting back if problem persists.

Update: Reinstalled windows in order to fix this and a couple of other issues. I had to right click the exe file and choose 'unblock' in order to get it to work.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  10. leeperry

leeperry New Member

GPU:
    -
    Following this discussion: randomascii(.)wordpress(.)com/2013/07/08/windows-timer-resolution-megawatts-wasted/

I would ideally like to force the lowest granularity at all times and only the highest one when I'm using my A/V players.

Could you please add the ability to choose the granularity we want for each app in the .ini? I like to let my box play audio at night and my audio player currently forces 1.0ms, so ideally I would like to overrule this setting and only force 0.5ms when my web browser is open, proving that I'm actively using the PC. madVR already forces 0.5ms on its own.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Using Cyber's updated pack.

None of the versions work.

I install C# version 1
    done...

start the service
    done...

check service is working and I get "could not find specific path"

Same thing happens on ALL of the version, C# 1, C# 2, and C++ versions.

I did uninstall previous versions before installing the next one, and I am running in Command Prompt as Admin with elevated privileges.

What am I doing wrong here?

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you contacted with Cyberdyne?

It is really easy to install service with PowerShell script mentioned on first page.

13. leeperry

leeperry New Member

GPU:
    -
    Hi mbk1969, I believe you wrote this nifty app? Do you think you could add the ability to change the timer resolution in the .ini file as explained in my previous post please?

Thanks,

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Windows doesn`t allow to set resolution lower (more ms) then is set currently by any process. I.e. if audio player sets 1.0 ms we can`t set it to a value greater than 1.0 ms, but only can set to a value less then 1.0 ms.

Edit: If you want to save energy you should either configure balanced power plan settings to achieve "performance on demand" or switch to energy saving power plan at evening.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    No I haven't spoken to Cyberdyne.

Was actually hoping you could help me with the powershell script.

Can that be used with Cybers pack or does it need its own version or does it only work with a specific version.

Also whenever I load powershell the writing is INSANELY small, sorry never used powershell ever, how do you make the writing larger?

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    For my PS script to install STR service you should place script into folder with exe-file of service. In case of C# versions you can remove old exe-file of service to let script to rebuild exe-file (but only in case source file of service is there).
    If you never executed any PowerShell scripts then you should allow such execution of scripts by executing "Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned" or "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted" in PowerShell - first command lets execution of scripts downloaded from net only if they are signed.
    To execute my script you don`t need to run PowerShell session. You can execute script by invoking its context menu (in Explorer) and selecting "run with powershell".

As for font - click on the icon in the upper left corner of PowerShell session window and select "Properties" in menu. There is "Font" tab in "Properties" dialog. Just like for window of running cmd.exe.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  17. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    bump sorry just to keep this thread live

18. tonfilm

tonfilm Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M 3GB
    My little TimerTool can now hide to system tray and can be started with command line arguments for timer period and whether it should be minimized:

hXXp://vvvv.org/contribution/windows-system-timer-tool

19. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Can you make it into a service?

20. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    works well on windows 10 TH2