Top Gear thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by morbias, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Im not skirting, you jumped in with FAQ trying to prove me wrong, so I came back with my reasons for being right

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Ok so give them a real address and when you get the letter declare you don't recieve or watch live tv.

If they care enough they send an inspection officer.

Inspection officer can be refused entry either by mail (as hallyru said) or at door, or you can let them in and they can see that you don't receive signal.

Now you don't pay tv license.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I would, but I do watch live TV, just not the BBC that the license is for, no way to prove I don't watch BBC

If they sold TVs that were missing BBC, Id buy a house full

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    How can you say I'm wrong when their own website says you don't need one.

It's a well known fact, you just write to them and they take you off the list or sometimes come and check, but you don't need to let them in anyway, I've done it and they took me off the list, I was happy for them to come round but they didn't bother, my TV's weren't connected to the aerial.

Also they don't take your address when you buy a TV now anyway, stopped at the end of last year.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    1. Because the last time I read the license, that's what it said

2. Haven't bought a TV for about 3 years

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Wow, these last few pages sure have had a lot of Top Gear talk...

All I know is that my mind has been let down when there has been no Top Gear on Sunday night to eat a nice meal with. Please let the "lost" 3 episodes drop soon in spite of this whole BBC and JC spat.

Lastly, since this is a Top Gear thread, what has been your favorite moment/segment of the 7 episodes (9 with the specials) so far? Mine is a love hate thing with the Lamborghini Huracan segment with Richard Hammond. He really drills down to why it isn't a Lamborghini at heart, even though it's an amazing piece of engineering thanks to Audi.

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well it was back in 2009 when I opted out as I didn't watch live TV on my TV's (PC monitor use only) and they said that was fine, and I know it was a good few years before that since you needed one.

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Ferrari La Ferrari

That V12 sounded amazing, seriously it did funny things to me
    The Paramedics Ambulance thing was hilarious
    As was the Peugeot slagging

9. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Called it.

You do NOT strike another member of staff EVER and expect to keep your job.

He has not just lost his job, he has lost all respect (if he had any) and no one is gonna wanna work with a pre-Madonna beech who hits other people and yells at them like a spoilt brat.

F*ck him.

Hope he dies in agony and the last thought that goes through his head is the realisation he was never that funny or entertaining anyway. People laughed at him, not with him.

Some children never grow up and one day they do or say the wrong thing to the wrong person, and let this be a lesson for all children BEFORE they grow up and become adults.

11. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Should Clarkson have acted how he did? No, of course not.

Has the BBC gone about this the right way? I don't think so. Rather than carry out a quiet investigation behind closed doors they straight away cancelled the rest of the series and publically announced that Clarkson was suspended and the reason why. Having sensationalised it all they then spend two weeks sodding about doing god knows what before making a decision. It all smacks of the people in charge not being able to find their own arses with both hands.

I can't help but feel this possibly could have been concluded two weeks ago with a heartfelt apology and a handshake rather than being blown up to the epic scale it was by the numpties who are supposed to manage such things.

13. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Agreed, also the guy that got punched went to A&E over a swollen lip, good lord. No wonder the NHS is starting to break down

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I'm not saying it's in any way excusable but the fact is the producer didn't even report it himself and instead chose to get on with it, until such a time the BBC got his name plastered all over international news.

What has apparently happened is the BBC seems to have thought, "hey, we'll use this opportunity to show how transparent we are when it comes to carrying out investigations into our own talent." This will make us look GOOD.

Instead, what they've effectively done is focus attention on how badly managed they are when it comes to managing something as straightforward as a p!ss up in a brewery while at the same time killing off their biggest cash cow. What's worse is they seem oblivious to the fact and think they can replace the presenters on their top grossing show and it will continue to be a success, and it seems likely they will pour yet more license fee money into attempting such.

What a monumental bunch of idiots.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I just hope the BBC suffers for this, Clarkson will be back on the air in no time, don't think he has much to worry about, in fact the way things go, this might even help him

Hammond and May should quit too, then the three of them start up somewhere else

16. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Well Cpt Slow and the Hamsters contracts are up for renewal this year, so all three could end up on another channel

If remember correctly they both said they wouldn't do it with Clarkson anyway. So it looks like they've lost all three guys now

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It wouldn't be Top Gear without him even if the other two stayed and they either hired someone else to replace him or stuck with just those two, Clarkson is top gear

18. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Oh yeah, Clarkson's laughing, he's about to get a pay rise in the ensuing bidding war! The long and short of it is, the BBC have shot themselves (and also the producer who was the victim in this) in the foot. The producer is looking forward to 'getting back to the job he loves', though that realistically isn't going to be for much longer once the BBC realises no-one is watching TG any more.

Clarkson is the winner here, everyone else loses.

19. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Well it's just like the Jonathon Ross situation a few years ago, it's not going to make any difference to Clarkson but everybody behind the scenes.....

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yep, on BBC now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

all 3 seem to be leaving

Richard Hammond @RichardHammond · 47m 47 minutes ago

Gutted at such a sad end to an era. We're all three of us idiots in our different ways but it's been an incredible ride together.

James MayVerified account
    @MrJamesMay

Former TV presenter only remembered for saying 'Oh cock'. Or was that the other bloke?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015