AMD and Nvidia prep for next-gen DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Several new sets of slides from AMD and Nvidia as well surfaced on the webs through slideshare, the decks show what the companies have been up to in regards to DirectX 12, and they do look pretty exc...

AMD and Nvidia prep for next-gen DirectX 12

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not sure why the headline includes nvidia as merely a single line refers to them in the news, but the rest and all the slides are about amd, but a good thing never the less. Implementation can't go fast enough!

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Great that they're supporting a wide range of gen gpus, as for whats in store due to DX12, im not holding my breath.

This is AMD and Nvidia after all, they aint gonna start giving away free gpu boots of significance if they can help it.

Either way, developers and publishers are the key here. Fancy drivers and apis shouldn't be the ones picking up the slack for poorly optimized games.

4. rafaelluik

rafaelluik Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280
    What the hell are you saying? Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, don't you follow the news?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I think the point he's getting at, is if you are happy with Windows 7, you won't get DX12 unless you upgrade to 10, and tbh if Win 8.1 was getting DX12, I wouldn't upgrade either

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    :3eyes:

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Windows 8.1 is getting DX12, though some features will be omitted. Mainly OS specific stuff, but nothing that really has an effect on gaming.

Last I read.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh really? That's interesting, I thought 7 / 8 / 8.1 would only get 11.3.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So similar to Windows 7 and DX11.x ?

That's good news if true

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Watch your tone, seriously.

You need to understand one thing with Microsoft, nothing is really ever free. I would not be surprised to see a subscription model a year after W10 is released for you to fetch 'new features' and updates.

Have you been following the development of Microsoft Office lately ? Go check out Office 365 and see how they are 'transforming' the market.

11. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    No it won't. I guarantee it's windows 10 only.

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Moving with the flow, like everyone else. Moving to products as service only makes sense in the cloudbased world. We're long past the time for the large, heavy software suites.
    Someone else, like Google, transformed the market. Microsoft is only following suit.

Also as far as I've understood, Windows 10 is radically different from the previous Windows versions meaning there really is no way to get DX12 working on old versions. Who cares anyway. Whiny bastards who are happy with WinXP and performance and security of yesteryear, that's who.

If they put Win10 on a subservice, so what? They have to make money somehow to keep the level of quality and features they're delivering, and if that means I have to pay some money to have an upgraded, up to date OS, I'll pay thank you. Spreading the expense over time instead will make it a much more reasonable thing to use a legal Windows.
    Let's not forget that there is no real alternative to the Windows productline. Sure, some might argue that Linux and derivatives are, but they're not. Not in any realistic world. Then there's OS X, but that's bound to a specific set of hardware. In 5-10 years the world might look different on the OS side, but for gaming and high-end productivity I doubt we'll be seeing anything but Windows on our PC.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Source?

14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Do you really think that might happen :S?

15. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Except that they've already confirmed, on several occasions including investor meetings/calls, that Windows 10 upgrades will be free for the lifetime of the OS (which in case of MS is a minimum of 5 years + 5 years of security patches on top of that)
    There probably will be "Windows 365" (they've even trademarked it), but Windows 10 as itself is not it. There might be "Windows 365"-version of Windows 10, but it doesn't affect the users who have upgraded, for free, from Win7 or 8(.1).

Also, "We can all discuss how much of a shame it is to not release DX12 to Windows 7 users, but .. well that's shameful corporate greediness I am afraid." is blatantly wrong.

Implementing WDDM 2.0 would require changing the very core, kernel and all, of the OS. The differences are even bigger than they were between WDDM 1.1 and 1.2, and even porting WDDM 1.2 over to Windows 7 would have required huge changes to the core portions of the OS.

It's not about greed, it's about the technical challenges and changes you just can't do to the OS for sake of 1 upgraded portion. It would break a million other things that would then need to be fixed.

Max McMullen and the DirectX team did a lot of wasted work trying to get DX11.1 for Windows 7, the changes required were too big and in the end they could only implement the features that could be done on WDDM 1.1.

Same applies to DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0, it simply isn't possible to do the necessary changes to old OSes for the sake of DirectX.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

16. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
  17. SirJamesDTech

SirJamesDTech Guest

GPU:
    2x Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
    Nope, the guy that posts every one of these very consistent and insightful articles doesn't follow the news at all.
    As Millennial moms everywhere have been known to say, think before you type.

18. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Really looking forward to getting to try these updates, even if it forces a Win10 "upgrade".

Still a good excuse to get a new bigger SSD, along with 390X pushing a shiny new 4K FreeSync screen. (going to be a fantastic screen to program on after living with 1920x1080 for so long!)

Going to be a Good Year :)

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Im confused as to what the fuss is about.
    If you have window 7, you have a window product key, grab a second Hdd or partition you only drive and install a second instance of Windows 7 onto it, then hit the upgrade button when it goes live.

All this fuss from those not interested in win10 and annoyed that win7 isnt getting DX12, I think they're forgetting that to take full advantage of DX12 a new gpu is required anyway.

Says so in the RPS article posted above.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    That would not surprise me one bit, i recently found out when i popped a DVD into my PC to watch, that it does not come with a DVD player.:confused: