Gaben Discusses possibility of HL3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by p0ppa, Mar 22, 2015.

1. p0ppa

p0ppa Guest

GPU:
    Strix 3080 OC
    http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/03/19/gabe-newell-discusses-possibility-of-half-life-3

There are some sh*tty stuff going on recently at valve, with their overpriced steamboxes with I3 selling at $600 and steamlinks/controllers. The point of pc gaming is to use mice and keyboards and sitting behind 2k and 4k monitors beside their custom lit-up rigs, not to use it like a console where you use a controller. If I want to play on console for exclusives e.g. the last of us/uncharted I might as well play on a genuine console.:puke2:

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Valve are completely focused on hardware at the moment.
    With their only "game" focus being on online/multiplayer titles. Titles they can constantly "update" (even though it's with pointless TF2 hats and crap)...

Gabe has said in the past that he feels Valve has no place in making single player games these days. That, online play is where gaming needs to head.
    And really, a group of people at Valve would have to have a "reasonable explanation" for wanting to make a new Half-Life title?

How about you ended the last game eight years ago on a cliff hanger?
    Sorry, but these days (and for some time now) I have zero interest in Valve as a developer. I love them for Steam... but, as a game developer... they've completely vanished from my radar.

3. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    I've been a huge supporter of Valve but lately I'm getting a bit sick of them. Give us SOME information about HL3, are they making it? If not, will they?

All them seem to be focused on is raking in money from crates/keys/hats that the community makes from them anyway.

I'm hoping that they are working on something amazing for HL3 and will blow everyone's socks off when they do release it but I've pretty much lost interest/patience with them as a dev/company.

And not to stray too far off topic, the amount of **** on steam now is really quite depressing.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If Gabe dies before making Half-Life 3... I will dig his body up and bring him back to life just to kill him again.

Seriously though Half-Life 3 needs to be made.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Why do you guys care so much about half life? The story is so weird now that they probably don't know what to do with it anyway. At least they're not treating it the way Ubisoft does Assassins Creed. Volvo is more interested in strange looking controllers and Vr headsets these days.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Hal-Life is simply amazing.

Half-Life 2 is one of the best video games ever made.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Had HL2 ep3 been released we wouldn't feel so suckered into the episodic bs that valve gave us and couldn't complete. Somewhere at valve is a version of ep3 that was never released. HL online multiplayer was awesome. Valve don't understand that online is important for HL3 aswell.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Possibly... it's just a thought so stay with me here.... because people like the series?

While I do feel that HL2 is ungodly overrated, I like the series. The first game is the best IMO, but they've all been fun.
    And maybe people want another one so much because Valve promised gamers a third episode. They ended Episode Two on a massive cliff hanger. And since 2007 have refused to even talk about Half-Life.

At this point I just want Valve to stop stepping around it, grow a set and tell people the truth. Yes, we will make another one... or No, we have no plans to make another one.
    Stop trying to side step the issue simply because Gabe feels they should be all focused on trying to build some damn Valve hardware line. STEAMmachines... and Steam controllers... and Big Screen Mode... and blah, blah... blah.

9. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    The only way I see Steambox selling is if they have a killer app for it, such as HL3.
    Basically make HL3 PC exclusive, forcing console gamers to buy Steamboxes. That's how Steam got popular, you had to install Steam to play HL2 and Counter-strike source.
    Otherwise I don't know how they intend to sell those Steamboxes.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The first one was amazing, the second was good or great at best, nothing more.

I used to care a lot about Half Life but after what they did in the second game and episodes, i think it may be better not to make any other HL because it´s clear they ran out of ideas and they have no clue about what made the first one such an amazing game.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The HL2 story has become such a convoluted mess that they probably can't write a story for the next game without it being absolutely ridiculous.

I'll admit I enjoyed the games, but I could really care less if they release another one.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Half-Life 2 had a story?

Hell, in all honesty, even Half-Life's story is really, really thin.
    Alien invasion... try and escape. Marines come in to kill everyone... try and escape. Go to alien world... kill them and try to escape.
    It's the presentation of the story that made the game special, not the story itself.

HL2 didn't really "do" anything. It dropped you into a world, and didn't give you any solid context on what was going on and why it was bad.
    You just blindly follow a few guys because they say "I'm this guy from back then, lets go kill these guys." and you're like, "OKAY!".
    HL2 was a series of set pieces, moments to show off physics... and a couple boring driving sequences.

And really, the only thing in the games that comes close to drawing interest and a possible overarching story is the G-man. But, even then... it doesn't feel like they have a clue what they are doing with him.
    And really, I would've be fine to leave it be. Specially after Episode One which was... awful. But, Episode Two drastically improved things, and ended in such a way that I really wanted to see where it went.

But, with the success of DOTA, TF2... and now their STEAMmachines and such... they don't care about even trying to come up with closure.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I regularly use a host of peripherals for my PC, choice is the beauty of PC gaming. Some games suit keyboards and mice, others fight/flight sticks or game pads.

PS: My rig isn't lit up either, it doesn't even have a side window. I generally find that sort of thing to be pretty gaudy.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I play almost exclusively on my PC.
    But, even then... games like Dark Souls, MGR:Revengeance and a few others play better on a 360 pad.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    oh I think it's pretty clear WHY it's bad

:eek:rder:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t680E4K0rk

16. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The steam boxes are third party.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The funny thing is that it almost seems money is not a motive in considering making HL3. Everyone knows it would be big and probably break sales records. It seems Gabe doesnt care about that, as if he's on some personal philosophy that the work he does is more important than the money, and HL3 just isnt interesting to him because of that.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Third party, yes... for Valve... yes. Valve's idea, baby, current main project.
    Just because they've outsourced the actual process of building them, doesn't mean Valve is any less to blame for their lack of focus on actual game development.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    There really is no surprise here. Gabe is more interested in growing Steam than making games now. This is basically his admission to that. There would have to be a huge vote in favor of overturning his game plan for him to stop.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It´s true that they can make a lot of money if they make HL3 but the problem is that they make much more with Steam! Steam is Valve´s gold mine while making games it´s just pocket change for them...

It´s the same thing with Blizzard, they could make a lot of money if they made Warcraft 4, but again, it would be just pocket change compared to the millions WoW makes ever month!...

P.S. Please Blizzard, make Warcraft 4!!!