The Switchable Graphics Issue (Avoid AMD)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Seketh, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    So, this concerns only laptop users, and the problem is more relevant with Intel + AMD configurations than AMD+AMD.

Long story short, it's broken since Windows 7. Windows 8 users have lots of trouble using drivers other than the ones supplied by the OEM, which are usually very old and eventually cause problems.

And even when things work, it's very likely that you can't control the brightness on your screen using the AMD GPU and that the screen won't wake from sleep, which on a laptop is very annoying.

To add insult to injury, AMD completely broke switchable graphics support for many users after 14.4, and attempts at using 14.4 or older drivers on Windows 10 have failed so far. There is a very real risk of AMD screwing thousands of users by not having a working driver for Windows 10. Considering that Windows 10 is a free upgrade, it's a very big deal. I think a solution will come, but from modders, not AMD.

Yes, you can argue that OEMs have a responsability on the matter. But then you look at AMD's competition, Nvidia, and the problem is pretty much non-existant there. So, the OEMs argument is invalid.

The modding community has done a great job. Leshcatlabs have supported users with (barely) working switchable drivers, but they now hit a wall with 14.4. Worst of all, they are trying to get word out to AMD of the issue and get nothing but silence.

So, what's the point of this thread? AMD switchable sucks, avoid at all costs, go Nvidia, it works (mostly) fine. It's becoming clear that AMD will abandon thousands of users, so don't buy AMD switchable graphics. I'll gladly retract this statement if they make a little effort in getting their drivers to work, but I'm not seeing enough media/user base to change things.

Hope someone from AMD reads this or somehow realises that it's this kind of things that makes them lose marketshare. I for one will avoid AMD based laptops, I will glady spend extra for Nvidia Optimus.

I'm also interested in knowing your opinio. I'm not anti-AMD, I'm anti-being-screwed-by-AMD-when-Nvidia-solution-works, so hold the flames guys.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. Fuuka

Fuuka Guest

GPU:
    R9 265X 2GB
    Totally agree. Was suffering from directx 9 performance on my enduro. Found LeeKMs drivers, which is literally year old, but at least it works. Thanks to microsoft for the sleep/wake problem fix for enduro though. But I guess I wont be able to play any new games with good, constant fps. And this is on windows 8.1. I don't even want to imagine what will happen while going to windows 10, since my laptop is more than capable of running that system. All in all - its hell.

3. AMINOV

AMINOV Member

GPU:
    amd radeon hd 8850m
    u r correct but after the omega update everything is running great!

4. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Well, from your specs, I guess your laptop is pretty new.

But you may already join the others with Windows 10.

5. jofcrm

jofcrm Guest

GPU:
    mobility radeon hd 5650
    I second this post.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I of course don't think this is good, but Windows 10 is still only a technical preview. Don't expect AMD's suppport to be optimal before the Windows 10 consumer preview.

Laptops have always been a bit iffy with drivers.

7. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

Essentially it doesn't even boil down to Windows 10 but overall AMD support.

There is an AMD bug which affects a whole line of AMD Mobility GPUs effectively destroying the boot process on the current Windows 10 10041 build, whilst at the same time not allowing affected machines to even go into Safe Mode.

One might think that this is Windows 10 bound but the reality of things is that this bug is 1 year old and was reported to AMD on Windows 8.1. Whilst the bug was severe on Windows 8.1 it did allow people to remove the driver via Safe Mode.

AMD's support needs to become optimal full stop because as you can see they are allowing some pretty critical bugs in.

8. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Bumping this one for awareness.

I'm still hoping that AMD will not abandon its users with Windows 10. Otherwise, a lot of you might just start posting in this thread when it comes out.

9. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    any issues with amd have been known to be user based and before you all go nuts hear me out ive been fixing peoples gpu issues for years and most users either deleted something or didnt read enough about the gpu to know how it will do or perform so in the end i run a few test find the issue and fix it. and 99% of the time i deal with nvidia as the main issue broken drivers and bad mmo performance with laptops so don't avoid amd they work without issues hell i run a single 290x in 4k all my games maxed out with no issues

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    A single 290x? all your games maxed out at 4K? :3eyes::3eyes::3eyes:

Are you running three or two year old games by any chance?

I've worked at a computer store before myself, and to say that 99% of the time you deal with nVidia problems is complete and utter bull. There is no way that statistic makes sense; and the only way it would be logical, is if the neighborhood you work at has a population of people whom 99% of which use nVidia over the 1% which use AMD. In which case, you got 99 problems and AMD ain't one. :puke2:

You're right that in general most people that come to the store usually don't know how to fix the issue themselves, and it's not a hardware issue, rather either they've done something wrong or other software causing issues (or in most cases a PC filled with viruses and malware)... BUT to say 99% of the problems is from one manufacturer, is a very bold statement...

11. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Meh, switchable graphics should not even exist. We should have the ability to permanently disable the weaker GPU through BIOS. If only OEMs listened.

12. atoneapone

atoneapone Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6650M +6520g/ 1GB
    If we could reinvent what laptops should be, I'd say laptops should have been designed as conveniently as desktops, cheap around $100-$400 with very affordable replaceable graphic cards(~$30 to $200) that you could switch out anytime you want, and disable the integrated graphics while dedicated is being used.

But we live in reality, and just get by on the laptop we have until it's time to upgrade in the future at the best price for performance possible whether that be AMD or Nvidia. Usually the lowest priced laptop deals with good gfx has AMD, so everyone's going to have to ask themselves if it's worth spending an extra $150 to go with Nvidia laptops or just live with this amd SG problem, and use the saved money to a buy a better gaming desktop PC equivalent.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  13. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    The video of the new toy for 50$ which enables you to add an external GPU to your Laptop, but it requires a power brick or a PSU to function, and a separate monitor. At that point, why not just build an itx instead?

Around 3 years back when laptops sold like hotcakes in my region, my dad insisted I get one. All my friends used to make fun of me at lan parties (in my absence). However deep down, I knew desktops are the ultimate. Fast forward today, I love how everyone complains about how game X is so demanding/unoptimized, meanwhile I run it all buttersmooth by just a new GPU/CPU, keeping the rest the same.

The rehashing of old gpus as new gpus with higher clock speed is a big problem on laptops.

This is a rant, not a hate. I want laptops to improve.

14. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    i run games from 1990 to 2015 all new games all old ones no aa lol many people just under estimate a gpu cause of it's maker