Windows 10 Build 10041 Live

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 18, 2015.

1. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    My laptop just did the automatic update from 9926 to 10041

No new browser Spartan yet ? :(
    Kill IE now !

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrade via WU has been troublesome ... I'm getting bugs such as network connections not being configurable "unexpected error occurred". Oh well.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Got a notification about build 10041. Downloading now!

4. kraken

kraken Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    Anybody using HDMI output on laptop? I can't get Win10 to detect external monitor (working fine on 8.1).

I7 + GTX 770M

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Network connection stuff doesn't work properly for me either. Report it through the feedback tool. Issues will only be resolved if they know about it! Regardless if someone has already reported it, add to the feedback of that item. It will raise the issue on the prioritisation list.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i wonder if to reinstall windows via the iso or just use it like that.

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If it's done through WU, just install it over your current build.

The transparency is the only visual difference, and there's more options in virtual desktop. Other than that, the build isn't as stable as 9926. For now, I went back to 9926 and switched to the slow track for builds.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  8. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    clean installs are always best....just like drivers...i noticed a new amd driver dated 3/11/15....if i can find where it downloaded to my pc i wil probably try using ddu to clean and doing a clean install of the driver really only cause i noticed a few greyed out options with svp/mpc that i have never encountered before. i suspect a clean install of the driver could fix this.

does wind update always put the driver in the amd folder in the root directory of the os drive? in the past it did but what if it already had a driver there? maybe it just overwritten the old one?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Before curiosity forces me to install again, what exactly do you dislike about it?

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The whole Metro thing, promising us the start menu return, treating us like fools by creating a smaller start screen, which is more or less the normal start screen most of us K&M users hate, and with the click of a button goes back to full screen, which was the exact design of the start screen we complained enough about to get the menu back in the first place

Removing classic control panel, Windows update etc

Basically migrating from a normal desktop perfect for K&M users, to a Metro style UI perfect for touch and horrible for K&M

Each new build there is less and less of the Windows I use today, and more and more of the Metro side that I disabled as soon as I found out about StartIsBack back in Win 8 days

Whatever they are using to code this new UI with is buggy and glitchy with way less / almost no useful functionality, it was in 8 Metro, 8.1 Metro and now there is no escape back to the classic desktop because they are methodically removing each and every last piece of it and replacing it with the side of 8/8.1 that I disabled

The way I see it, Windows 7 was an absolute winner, perfect OS for K&M users - Metro was in no way good for K&M (Some like it I understand that)

They are completely killing everything that made Windows 7 / 8.x Desktop side good, and replacing it with everything I detest about the other Metro side of 8.x

The missus doesn't know much about Windows at all, I showed her 10041 and without my saying a thing, she said it looks like it's designed for kids and asked if it was really made by Microsoft, or was it a joke made by someone else

In a nutshell I never liked Metro, even on my tablet I never used it, and that's a touchscreen - with Windows 10 just about every aspect of it seems to be being ported into Metro style

There's not even a search bar in the current start menu/screen

Right clicking pinned libraries gives a useless resize/unpin etc context menu, what use is that? Where are my normal right click context menus from Win7s menu gone?

Cortana integration.... pointless IMO, don't even use it on my WP

Extra desktops.... maybe useful, I`ll never use them

Big old "Bing/Google Desktop pack" rubbish search bar using up room on my taskbar, yea can be disabled, but then how do I search? We back in the 90s? What was wrong with it being in the start menu? Out of sight until needed

Normally I look forward to new Windows releases, but MS are removing just about everything I love about Windows and replacing it with everything I hate

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I installed it in a dual boot with Win 8.1 and it's working fine. I don't like the big search thing in the taskbar either but If you install the latest Classic Shell, you have a Win 7 start menu with a search bar. Even the improved Start Menu doesn't cut it for me. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the Search box on the taskbar yet. I did try out Cortana and it's kind of cool but then I turned it off. Google search is good enough. I removed the Taskview and Windows Explorer icons from my taskbar.

The only bug I encountered was that the Mail app would not install. It wouldn't even work from the Store. I Googled the problem and found a fix that involves using Powershell as an administrator. That did fix things.

All of the drivers installed by Windows are working fine , including the Radeon one. There is no CCC however. The video driver is shown as being dated 3/11/2015 and the version number is 15.200.1012.2.

The Display Adapter is shown as AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Engineering Sample - WDDM v2.0).

I tried playing World of Warcraft and it's fine with the same kinds of framerates I get in 8.1 with the 14.12 Omega driver.

I will be taking advantage of the free upgrade on this 8.1 machine but maybe not on my Win 7 laptop.

13. jonaand

jonaand Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    assassin black flag give me error at start 0xc0000142 in this build
    anyone can test this game?

14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    you should try the iso and do a clean install if possible....usually has less issues

15. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    look at the bright side....it least it will be priced accordingly for home use since they already said its free for people who pirate it:banana: and i think its a small improvement over win 8 even though it appears a lot of us will still be using a start replacement app all over again. guys like us will tweak the final version to our satisfaction anyway and it will be annoying helping friends with there pcs like always

16. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    There's a registry tweak to get the start menu back from previous builds, and once you delete all the metro app icons on the right it'll shrink down exactly to the size and appearance of the Win7 start menu.

17. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Please give more info about this cause that sounds very nice....as i delete all the useless icons first thing but my start menu never shrinks. i tried these reg tweaks but the start menu stayed the same http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2015/01/Windows-10-Hidden-Secret-Registry-Tweaks.zip

Also completely unrelated is there any actual dx12 apps/benchmarks for us to play with yet?

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    With none of the functionality other than it pops up in the lower left corner

19. rejectedjs

rejectedjs Guest

GPU:
    2 x MSI GTX 970 SLI
    Can someone please confirm that this build coupled with one of NVIDIA's newest drivers FINALLY allows DSR/Custom resolutions to be used? That has kept me away from Windows 10 ever since it stopped working on the second build of Windows 10.

20. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    What controls resolutions aside from the drivers from Nvidia in Windows? I could compare file versions for you.