NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MiR4i

MiR4i Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 x2
    Apologies for the late reply, but it sounds like you both have different takes on what is the standard. GuruKnight says that 200% renderscale in a game's options should be the equivalent of 4x SSAA, and Bonk says that a factor of 4x is going to be an additional 400% of pixels, which means that 200% should only be a factor of 2x SSAA.

Here's the issue I'm having trouble with...

Blizzard recently added SSAA 2x, as well as a renderscale slider that goes up to 200%, into World of Warcraft . If you select SSAA 2x from the main drop-down selection then the slider will automatically move to the 200% position. However, the in-game SSAA 2x options gives a very similar load when compared to 4x DSR. For example, 3440x1440 using the in-game option of SSAA 2x gives a very similar, yet slightly lower, load when compared 6880x2880 (4x DSR).

So, you can see why I'm confused since I thought that SSAA 4x should be the equivalent of 4x DSR. Has Blizzard mislabeled renderscale and their level of SSAA?

2. Vladislav

Vladislav Guest

GPU:
    GTX260
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2.

Hello.
    SGSSAA did not miss the shiny area, if you use the AA fix (this is not the first time that the AA fix helps to cope with shaders. For Example Dead Space 3).

SGSSAA works with the shadows, if add to the flag eight - 0x080012C1.
    Compare the quality of the shadows of the book.
    http://postimg.org/image/59rkonjoz/full/

0x080012C1. 8xSGSSAA with AA fix+in-game "High" AA.
    http://postimg.org/image/lnt7a26ux/full/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. RichterBelmont

RichterBelmont Guest

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    Auto-quote, because it isn't so good as I thought. Sometimes, characters flickers without any reason.

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I can understand your confusion regarding ingame SSAA settings these days.
    Some developers are not very "consistent" regarding their design choices and labeling IMO.

But normally 200% SSAA is used to indicate a doubling of the pixel count in both the vertical and horizontal directions, i.e. 2x2 SSAA = 4xSSAA.
    This standard is followed in for example ArmA 3, Shadow of Morder, BF4 and many other titles with ingame SSAA options.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Set scaling to aspect ratio, play the game at the 16:9 equivalent of your monitor and it will just not use the extra space

6. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    I've not noticed this on my GTX 770. Aside from the settings in my inspector image, I also use Adaptive VSync, High Quality texture filtering, and forced Ansotrophic x16.

Is there a reliable way to reproduce this, or a specific area? Does it stop occuring if you disable a certain in-game graphics feature?

7. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    Hi guys, just signed up to the forum since this seems to be the only right forum for me to ask regarding an issue I have.

So I'm playing Dragon Ball Xenoverse on my notebook and I have tried using the nVidia Inspector tweaks as posted by some of you here (thanks, btw) and have achieved the result I wanted. But there is one issue that has occurred since day 1 which doesn't seem to happen to anyone else on the net. I've trolled YouTube videos including the comment sections, have trolled steam discussion forum (bought the game from Steam), and some other gaming forums both obscure and famous ones and have found no one who has the same problem...

So my problem is.. with FX overlays. Glowing red eyes, black and ki auras, waterfall foams, portal FX, etc. seems to be displayed on the top most layer, in other words, they are always on screen. Never occluded by mountains and characters and stuff. Is there a fix for this? Thank you in advance.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The problem between our definitions is that his is right when developers label it that way stupidly (Frostbite engine. 200% resolution scale I think means 2x each axis=4) and mine is what it SHOULD be labeled. (And they need to educate users to not create confusion) WoW sounds like maybe they mean the same as Frostbite. Again, they dont' educate people and it causes confusion.

Generally 4xSSAA = 2x2 because it's 4 times as many pixels. Thus 4xSSAA.
    2xSSAA is generally 1x2,2x1 or some extremely long integer to get 2x with rounding. (Like Nvidia does for 2x DSR/3xDSR)

Performance between DSR and developer implemented OGSSAA will vary greatly sometimes. Developers can opt to skip some rendering passes entirely to gain performance. Where as DSR would act like the game is rendering entirely at that resolution and nothing may be skipped.

It's not a common thing that i've seen yet anyway.

Some screenshot comparisons maybe might help a little in determining what it actually is :) (With the DSR screenshot. Downsample it using photoshop if you have it. Or use Faststone Image Viewer to do the same. Use a lanczos3 or Bicubic filter)

9. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    So... since no one responded to my post, I reckon it's a problem with my notebook then...

NOTE: also, during one of the main quests where Trunks's transparent, he's completely gone and only visible for a frame or two. I think it's related.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I don't know what kind of advice I can offer sorry. D: but i'll try

Can you post your inspector profile? A screenshot I mean.

What resolution are you using? Does it happen without AA?

11. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    My current profile:
    http://img.techpowerup.org/150321/nvidia_20150321_155144.png

I use 1080p on an external display over HDMI. Running @60Hz refresh rate. And here is the link to a screenshot I took to further explain what I mean:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410972942

So the problem happened even before I start using Nvidia Inspector and did any tinkering. So basically it happened by default. I have tried turning off all options such as FXAA, Bloom, HDR, Depth of Field, etc. and still no luck.

Any advise you can give is more than appreciated buddy. Thanks in advance.

12. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
    Don't use V-Sync if you are playing fullscreen, or play with windowed mode (you can use Windowed Borderless Gaming to simulate a true fullscreen mode). ;)

13. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    Tried it. Didn't work. There is a chance that it might be a driver issue though.

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Can you try rolling back to some previous drivers? (Write down important settings, custom resolutions and export your Inpsector profiles) Use DDU (See sticky) and try different versions to see if it makes a difference. It could also potentially be affected since it's a mobile GPU? I don't know. Have you tried using your lappy display??

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    OK. So actually I just overlooked this. But this could be because of the flag and the settings you are using. Disable TrSSAA and just use 4xMSAA instead

Also try the above with this flag instead 0x004032C1 instead

16. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    This behavior seems to be a bug with the Xenoverse graphic engine or current drivers, since it occurs even without anti-alaising on my GTX 770 as well.

Nothing you can do about it, just think of it as a feature to more easily track enemies and find landmarks...

Those bits don't really work well for MSAA in Xenoverse, since they do not apply AA to the heavily aliased lineart.

For MSAA in Xenoverse, you really need to use 0x004432C0 + AA Fix for there to be a quality improvement over in-game FXAA. Those bits function fine with 2x, 4x, and 8x MSAA. TrAA should work as well, but it has almost zero effect on quality since this game engine doesn't seem to use edge transparency anywhere.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Have you tried that bit actually?

The only difference is that second 4. But also, really MSAA isn't going to be worth the cost when using shader super sampling. Use SGSSAA instead.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'm not sure shadows look better with that added. Under the book near the bottom, there is more stair stepping than before.

For comparisons in the future you can use www.screenshotcomparison.com it is back up. And is best for making short comparisons.

I would also check the DoF with the AA fix. As often it breaks the DoF in some games. (Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Dead Rising 2,etc)

The difference would be the DoF would be aliased and have flickering/crawling where as without it would be stable and fluid.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  19. bokeh4096

bokeh4096 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    I am confused. Does the AA fix break it as in it gets disabled?

And in the OP regarding RE6 it says "Needs AA fix. DoF goes untouched. Downsample with SGSSAA if you can for best results!"

So does the AA fix affect or not affect the DoF in RE6? The OP implies it does not?

20. cyberbeing

cyberbeing Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 770 2GB
    Yes, I actually had it written down in my notes as something which only functioned partially with poor AA quality.

Unfortunately, SGSSAA actually has worse quality than MSAA only with these bits. There is no need use additional supersampling at all.