Review: GeForce GTX Titan X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Why RAM is used as marketing for future proofing I do not know. In 2-3 years you may be "future proof" in the memory department, but if the video card can't keep up elsewhere all the memory won't matter.

2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    But there is sale too don't forget that titan Z where 75% off this summer sale...

as the stones singed "time... is on my side" (despite i don't want to buy one as i don't have the use)

3. PavH

PavH Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX
    The prize is a joke, my card was prized at $300 less almost a year ago.

I'm going to the US next year in jan and I'm taking back
    a pair of those with me probably. HMRC can love me :)

4. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    It seems like a stellar card, but the price..?

Considering there is no double-precision and the FP64 seems to be really lacklustre compared to previous cards on the GTX Titan line-up, does it even beat the GTX 580 in FP64 performance? The price is way over-the-top if you ask me.

The FP64 performance has gone downhill ever since the release of GTX 580 on the "gaming" cards from NVIDIA, and the GTX Titan was the one line to redeem that fact and provide you with stellar FP64 performance for a very low price compared to Quadro and Telsa cards and you got great gaming performance as well so the added price made perfect sense if you were in the right market.

But this GTX Titan X doesn't make much sense if you ask me. It reminds me more of the good old GTX 8800 Ultra days where NVIDIA would push a premium preforming gaming card and simply price it beyond reasoning just because.

There is no denying the performance is impressive, but 999 USD when double-precision and FP64 performance is all gone? One could easily grab 2x GTX 980 for the same price and get much better performance, or even grab 3x GTX 970 and still have some money left...

I begin to understand why the GTX 980 only came with 256-bit bus and 4GiB of VRAM, had they delivered it with 384-bit bus and 6GiB+ of VRAM this Titan X would be dead right out of the gate with this pricing... That's the only thing holding the GTX 970 and GTX 980 back.

5. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Powerful GPU. But 1K, damn.
    Next Titan will run games in 4Kx60fps. I think 12Gb will be enough even for upcoming games, even in 4K:nerd:
    What is this?:)

6. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Now they were quite fast... looks like they had a card to work with the layout, obviously. And that might just call a certain somebody to the plan... ;)

8. tpeter

tpeter Guest

GPU:
    GTX980
    cant wait to see real benches with the r390x that will be out this summer... Might be a lot cheaper and better.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    But at least it "justified" its higher price compared to crippled GK110 counterparts. Here its just for extra vram, right.. :grin:

Anyway I think they will pull the same stunt like back with 780GTX vs 780Ti, first sell this bull for 1000$, later release crippled GM200 with 6gb vram and call it 1080GTX, then when all settles down release another FULL GM200 chip like original GM200, but with Ti name in it..
    just my 2cents :nerd:

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah thats poor that, no custom cooleds allowed.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if they do it, hence why I will never buy the top card from nvidia ever again, because you never know how fast they can pull another from their ass just like that. Gone are the days when you can enjoy your super high-end card for 1-2 years, now it's all about refreshes, crippled chips etc.

13. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    EVGA did release an aftermarket ACX cooler for the Titan Black. I think it was 40USD or so.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Just saw techpowerup review and to play Crysis3 @ 4xmsaa with 60-70fps, or DragonAge Inquisition or DeadRising3 you're limited to 1080p anything higher and it can't handle it.. So looks like this GM200 is still ideal for 1080p by REALLY demanding games.

That extra vram doesn't do anything now or in near future, just looks fancy idling there and costs extra 300- 400$ :pc1:

EDIT:

Look how magic DP is, even 580GTX is faster, really nvidia? :banana:
    [​IMG]

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So the Titan X performs 30% better than a 980GTX and costs 100% more!?... Makes sense...

This silly price makes my 970 look even better than it really is...

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This card has the the NCP4206 onboard, I2C controller, ive just checked. So volt modding is essential, we shall see. Cant wait for the 14:00hrs listing time to start tomorrow just as i predicted a week ago.:D

17. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Too damn expensive for what it does, miss the times nvidia was the underdog, or looked like it.

Nice review as always. Thanks.

18. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    A good way of increase all the lineup prices, when your top one is at 1000$, peoples will have less problem to buy a "cut down version" (with pretty close performance ( 10% ) at 700-750$ then, and even more been really happy with a "midrange" gpu at 550-600$.

And i dont say that only for Nvidia.. ( all actors of pc market is certainly want to apply the same same strategy )..

With the pc market who slowdown, a good way of control it. ( sold less but for higher price )....

19. MrHydes

MrHydes Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SLI
    Can't find a good reason why to buy this card. The 12Gb only shows how worried they are with AMD HBM. GDDR5 is past. Anyway good effort grean team.
    Btw nice review Hilbert

20. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    False but yes slow double precision.

No double precision (no-DP - compute capability 1.1 or older version) - older videocard than GeForce GTS 250 (except GTX 2x0, 400 or newer - DP support).

looooooool