NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X Launches

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2015.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    That sucks, no custom version of this card is allowed? Ergh.

Was hoping to see a Gigabyte X3 windforce version, looks like not anytime soon.

2. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Very longtime you mean next year by this time?Coz this card will not have the same lifespan like the first Titan.Overclocked Titan=stock 980 sli performance (almost).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know, there are definitely ups and downs and right times to purchase things and wrong times. The 690 for example was two 680's for double the cost. If you bought one you basically had 980 performance in 2012.

This card is probably going to be about 35% faster then a single 980 and yet still double the cost. It's launching 3-4 months before it's competitors card that's rumored to be quicker, and yet cheaper. It's also launching a year before 16nm PASCAL launches which is bringing a pretty significant jump in architecture as well as the die shrink.

At the very least I would wait till 390x if I was shopping for a Titan. Because either two things are happening here:

1. 390x's isn't as good as rumors say it is and Nvidia knows it.

2. Titan X is significantly overpriced for the performance. (If it's 35% faster)

4. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti Suprim
    When I pay 1000€+ for a GPU, I expect it to be ,top of the line or close to, for a while.

@Denial, at least someone understands.

5. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    What does "for a while" means for you?

6. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti Suprim
    I'd say 6-9 months is reasonable

A note to your edit: Another reason to not buy this card.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    They know that. They also know AMD is getting ready and looking serious this time so they though "Lets release a 1,000$ GPU quickly before it gets out-shadowed"

Typical money grabing.

8. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    9 months I find it to be very low,also nVidia barely launched the Titan X and now they speak about Pascal...Pascal is 10X Faster Than Maxwell – Features Mixed Precision, 3D Memory and NV-Link Coming in 2016

9. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    And not only that, win10 is just right around the corner, stacking vram,etc.

I am really looking into the 980 ti's, 6gb vram, slower then the titan-x, tweak it up a bit, it will be just as fast or faster then the stock titan-x.

At this moment, I am really looking into the gm200 cut version, would like to see release date on this bad boy.

10. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti Suprim
    I don't mind significant technological leaps. What I do mind is obvious milking of one architecture. Hell I'd pay 700€ per GPU every year easily if they were significant upgrades, which they definitely aren't.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not really 10x faster though, when he said that they were talking about neural networks that use FP16, which is like unusable for gaming. It's double performance per watt though, which is pretty good.

It simply costs too much to develop it. G80, nearly 10 years ago, cost about 600M to fully develop. Now in days it's probably closer to 1-1.5B to develop a new architecture. You have to milk it for two years or you're screwed financially.

That being said, I think the whole $1000 for 30% increased performance is a little insane. Plus the Titan doesn't even have decent FP64 to at least differentiate itself from Geforce now.

12. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    "The GTX TITAN will launch in reference-design only, aboard partners will not be allowed to release custom editions." deal breaker for me. unless the reference design has crazy overclocking potential..

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    So your saying that 2 of these cards and the performance they give will be obsolete for gaming in 1 year, is that what your saying?

14. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    2 Titan X will set you until the big Pascal,even on 4K@ 60FPS,but only one will not be enough,I believe.

LE: EK have water blocks for Titan X.

15. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti Suprim
    I agree.

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    They are hoping to sell as many of these as they can before the 390x release.
    Can't see then selling many of them after: price/performance.

17. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    "The CEO of NVIDIA focused on Pascal architecture, which is expected later this year. It’s actually interesting what made NVIDIA speed up the announcement for Pascal. Last year Jen-Hsun announced that Pascal is not expected sooner than 2016. Now it looks like end of this year. Is Fiji such a treat now? "
    VC.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah but I'm not interested in 4k yet. 1440p 100hz is good enough for me atm.
    Yes I seen the ek announcement regarding the blocks. Cool stuff.

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Not a chance in hell would i pay 1000 for a reference only model. Why not allow 3rd party vendors to at least put better and quieter coolers on there.

I'm sure the reference cooler is fine for 1ghz but i doubt it will allow much of an OC. Not because of heat but because of the noise.

I'm sure someone will make water blocks and maybe even better air coolers but risking removing the HSF will void the warranty most likely.

20. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    Finally it gets to be tested...
    Attack on Titan would be a good Title I guess?