Windows 10 x64 Build 10036 ;) Enjoy

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by FookDat, Mar 17, 2015.

1. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
  2. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    How's the driver support for Windows 10?

3. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    No official Windows 10 drivers, but I am using Windows 8.1 drivers from AMD and it detected all my hardware on install. Even graphics driver was identified correctly. Manually installed graphics drivers after boot up though.

No crashes.

For some reason my GPU temp dropped almost 10c on full load now with more OC?! Not sure but ambient temp is here too so makes no sense really. But I like it.

Maybe Windows 10 is utilizing CPU and GPU better for the load. That is the only thing. I also used the unpark CPU app to ensure I get full power! Plus my own tweaks.

Also note, games do feel smoother and the start menu is kind of cool... kind of.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    That's good to know. So Win 8.1 drivers will work.

5. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    I am now using the Windows Automatic Update Driver that it detected and installed.

Driver Packaging Version: 15.20.1006-150206a-177497E-ATI
    2D Driver Version: 8.01.01.1472
    Direct3D Version: 9.14.10.01105
    OpenGL Version: 6.14.10.13372
    Mantle Driver Version: 9.1.10.0067
    Mantle API Version: 98306
    AMD Catalyst Control Center Version: 2015.0206.1717.31053

6. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Rolled back to W8.1 because of this. 15.20 driver isn't stable, some games works fine, some cant use GPU at max(Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4) and the game runs at 30-60 fps.

So i'll wait something special from AMD and new official build:)

7. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Q: Which AMD products are supported in the Windows® 10 technical preview?

A: All AMD processors are compatible with the Windows® 10 technical preview. In addition, all DirectX® 9-compatible (or higher) accelerated processing units and AMD Radeon™ graphics cards are supported in the Windows® 10 technical preview. Specific legacy products (e.g., AMD Radeon™ HD 4000 series) may require use of the “in-box” driver provided by Microsoft® with the Windows® 10 installation.

Q: Which graphics driver should I use for my AMD Radeon™ GPU or AMD APU?

A: Microsoft has indicated that updated device drivers are not required at this time, as existing device drivers are compatible with the Windows® 10 technical preview. AMD Radeon™ graphics and accelerated processing unit customers should use AMD Catalyst™ 14.9 WHQL (or newer).

Q: Are AMD Radeon™ GPUs or AMD APUs compatible with the DirectX® 12 Early Access program?

A: AMD expects the DirectX® 12 API specification to rapidly evolve prior to its final release in 2015. AMD is presently targeting its driver development resources at a future, more mature milestone build of the API. This development target will ensure that AMD’s public DirectX® 12-ready driver is built around the code consumers are expected to have in 2015.

Q: What AMD Radeon™ GPUs or AMD APUs will be compatible with DirectX® 12?

A: When paired with a DirectX® 12-ready graphics driver, the following GPUs will be compatible with DirectX® 12: AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 series, HD 7000M series, HD 8000 series, HD 8000M series, R9 series and R7 series. AMD A-series APUs based on the Graphics Core Next architecture will also be compatible with DirectX® 12 when paired with a DirectX® 12-ready graphics driver.

Q: When will the next version of Windows be made generally available?

A: At a recent press event Microsoft stated that Windows 10® would be available “mid 2015.”

Just don't use Windows Update driver and all works fine for me, atleast with Warframe, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Command and Conquer, Zombie Army Trilogy, Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Rogue, all working fine no issues at all. In fact runner better and cooler than before...

I recommend to use AMD 14.11.2 Beta.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That has been floating around a couple of days now. Keep in mind that 10036 was the one rumoured to be released to Insiders, but there are a few major bugs holding them back. You can surely get around these bugs, but it's likely a new build will be available very shortly that resolves them.

It makes much more sense to sign up to the Insider programme than to install leaked copies. It's so easy to do and anyone can do it. The whole purpose of this technical preview is so people can give feedback through the Microsoft App of the things that don't work, and also make suggestions for improvement. People have been complaining of things not working properly, but haven't reported back through the feedback app. That seems kind of pointless! Unless of course, you are complaining you can't load the app :).

In answer to your question, for the most part Windows 8.1 drivers work on Windows 10. I say most part because I haven't tested every single Windows 8.1 driver on Windows 10 :). Some devices though could benefit from proper Windows 10 drivers though, and these are yet to become available. For instance, display drivers with proper DirectX 12 support etc.

Both AMD and Nvidia have a test driver for Windows 10, released recently, however more often than not they aren't as good as the latest Windows 8.1 driver. You should definitely use the latest Windows 8.1 driver, for now, until such time a better Windows 10 driver becomes available. They really only resolve Windows 10 related issues that don't affect everyone.

The driver is a little annoying, delivered through Windowsupdate which Microsoft have neutered the functionality of. Unless you modify the registry to enable the control panel based Windowsupdate, you can't hide updates. They basically force install with no user choice not to install them. This is actually probably a good thing in the case of actual Windowsupdate, since people have been hiding critical updates in previous Windows, and the whole point of the Technical preview is for feedback so having everyone on a level playing field is important. The downside though is that the Windowsupdate delivered display driver really wants to install, and if you are running the latest Windows 8.1 driver you don't necessarily want it as it's based off an older codepath.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    been leaked two days ago, i hope the build we gonna get today, if we gonna get today, is 10046.
    10036 the start menu kinda not working, in 9926 it worked 100% of the time.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There doesn't seem to be a 100046 build yet, the mention of that elsewhere is probably a mistake. The latest build series they are on is 10041. I say build series, as for each build there are multiple builds done :).

Even 10041 is pretty new, if it is released in the next day or so it could be an older one. I'm personally hoping for 10041 though!

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    either that or a fix to the start menu on 10036 would be good.

12. Cockbender

Cockbender Guest

GPU:
    dunno
    thanks for sharing. any idea on min system requirements?

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Same as build 9926. If you're curious, join the insider program. There really is no benefit installing leaked builds. Remember it is also buggy, and it's important that any issues you encounter that you give feedback on so they can be resolved.

The 'Fast' update path is being made to be faster, so if you do want to join, wait until the next official insider build and set the update path to 'Fast'. There would therefore be absolutely no need to install any leaked build :).

I'm not dissing the OP, the build could be fun to try as an enthusiast on the insider program who's anxiously waiting for the next build to appear.

14. Cockbender

Cockbender Guest

GPU:
    dunno
    . . . i was just wanting to fart around and install it on one of my spare laptops.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Install 9926 then change the ring to FAST in Windows updates section, 10041 is now available to upgrade to

Trying to upgrade 10036 is failing for many as it is a leaked build

16. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    i had to use the iso posted in the other thread cause it seemed to get stuck trying to upgrade from 10036....i gave it 30 min waiting for the upgrade to finish, lost patience and did the clean install in less than 5 with the iso

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea same happened to me with 10036, some people said it eventually gets past the 3% or whatever it gets stuck on, but I just wiped and made an ISO instead

Prefer fresh installs for pre-release anyway, well for any release tbh, but with pre-release, it already has bugs, upgrading causes more so you never know if your bugs are from the upgrade or the software