AMD Radeon 390X WCE (Water-Cooled Edition)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Mar 14, 2015.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    But what might the 390X actually cost? I don't see it being over a thousand Euro / Dollars but I don't think it will be cheap either though the Titan X will probably be the more expensive of the two.

Hopefully AMD is also starting to show improvements to their driver quality and support for upcoming games in Crossfire for those who have multiple GPU's as that is also very critical to get the most out of the GPU.
    (Nvidia tends to be the faster of the two with this but they also have more game companies working with them though AMD has gotten a bit more aggressive with this as well.)

I probably won't switch my current GPU until the next die shrink to 16nm fin or what it was but it will be interesting to see how the Titan X and what else Nvidia might come up with will stack against the AMD 300 series of GPU's.
    (Not the best comparison of course with Nvidia releasing a enthusiast GPU for a very select market and AMD launching a entire series of GPU's but it will be interesting to see how the 380 and 390 stacks against the Titan and the 980.)

2. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    This days when I buy a GPU you don`t just look at the performance,for me it matters the support and one of the most important things,yet for me,is the G-Sync and FreeSync option.Right now I use a G-Sync monitor and let me tell you that I can`t ever go back top regular one.I`t really doesn`t matter if I have 200 FPS when the frames are all over the place and I see screen tearing and stutter,because many devs this days are lazy and they don`t bother to optimize their console games for PC.I really hope that FreeSync works and does what G-Sync does.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I had a pair of GTX660's that both hit their thermal limits and throttled any time they were stressed. I've never had an AMD card throttle. The reference cooler on my HD7950 was also quieter than either of my 660's reference coolers.

When was the last time you actually owned an AMD card? I had one installed just a few weeks ago....

for 4GB of HBM, the memory bus width is 4096bit. For 8GB, it would be 8192bit if the explanation of HBM was accurate.

4. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Always was and always will be. If i had such disposable income I'd still have one though, just like a Ferrari or a Koenigsegg :nerd:.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    390x price i reckon will be £599

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    4096bit only. 8GB is doable by 2 simple ways:
    - double density of each stack
    - 8 stacks instead of 4

Those 1GB per HBM brick were ready last xmas, AMD's waits most likely for double density per stack.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The prior explanation of HBM memory bus was that for every 1GB of HBM, there would be a 1024bit memory path. I simply went based on the explanation. I didn't say my statement was entirely accurate. I said it would be accurate if the previous explanation was accurate. In the case of double density memory stacks, the previous explanation of the HBM memory bus would be wrong.

Based on the previous explanation, 8 stacks would double the memory bus width from 4096bit to 8192bit.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Up to 8GB, might mean theres 2x versions, a 4GB and an 8GB.

9. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i am kinda confused by this hbm memory..

if the 4gb version has a 4 stacks of hbm running at 1024 bit per stack yielding a 4096bit memory bus which gives 640G/b memory bandwidth so the 8gig version will yield 1,8 T/b of memory bandwidth?

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    loads of bandwidth that won't be a huge problem in future...

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This thing coming out anytime this year? I mean seriously.. AMD finally gets a leg up with HBM and then squanders it by taking forever to actually release. Nvidia's going to have HBM with pascal by this time next year -- AMD needs to get the 390x out now.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Since Q2 I am guessing yeah 9 month lead with HBM nothing more.

13. At last, yes...

My old card will kick the bucket soon, I need this :infinity:

Faster AMD, earn the damn money and get on your feet.

14. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Want to know this as well.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The rumors have been flying for what? 6 months now? It's supposed to be getting released sometime in Q2.....

16. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I just hope it's released before the 980 drops in value.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unlikely if Titan is supposed to be released within the next month.

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    yeah that is the biggest problem

19. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    These sound like they're going to be pretty epic if the slide is correct; hopefully it'll be enough to see AMD competitive until the 4** cards come round; and will do the business at 4k.

Obviously I'd love to see it at gut-busting value prices, like the 4850/70 launched at, but that'll never happen. Hopefully it'll be enough of a good deal AMD will get some market share back though; we need AMD to keep up and keep investing so we never become a one-trick race!

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah, June, @ Computex.