Thank you AMD for great Software Quality & Support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Yezirael, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Yezirael

Yezirael Guest

Well,

- thank You AMD -

10 hours of work wasted - as i was away from keyboard for ~1h
    Monitor's were put into standby (Both are connected via DVI)

came back - screen's wont wake up, the machine is respondig to Keyboard + Mouse .. just no Video Signal.

Hardware R9 290 (Reference design - which periodically black-screens during heavy load)

I thought the 'monitor wakeup' problem has been solved long time ago,
    i've reinstalled my machine a week ago, driver ver is your epic Omega Driver (which's release was over 3 month's ago - but thats another topic.)

This was probably my last AMD Card,
    i had a HD 6950 before (reference design, too) which also had its issues ..

I assume it's a result of their restructing process as they release much qualified personell (Sofware Engineering as well HW Dev's).

- Sorry for Rage post - :)

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The driver being 3 months old isn't really an issue, Nvidia don't really released main drivers quickly anymore either. The last couple are 'leaked' builds (like the 15.x AMD driver from Dell, which technically isn't a leak...), or hotfix drivers.

The problem you have may not be related to the video card, it could be due to your overclock or some other reason. Keep in mind an overclock may appear stable in Prime95 etc, but put it in the right circumstances it may be unstable. This includes having the computer in a low power state like standby. There are also considerations like the RAM timings, voltage etc, which may be unstable for extended periods in APD and PPD.

The other consideration is the brand of the video card. I'm not sure about reference designs, are they made by one OEM or made by the different manufacturers to a standardised design? There's nothing to say the quality is consistent across the brands.

The reason why I suggest it may not be the video card is that I've seen the same on a system running the other teams card, and it was due to the overclock. Actually it was a combination of the the overclock and the RAM settings, as reducing either solved the issue, and the end result is all he needed to do was up the voltage on the RAM by 0.05 V.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

BTW, 10 hours of work lost? Save frequently and make backups!

4. Yezirael

Yezirael Guest

@thatguy91
    no overclock, - stock clocks,
    i changed the cooler ~2 months ago (the problem was also there before)
    in hope that running the card not always at its temp limits of ~ 95c will fix it

VRM Temps are now < 80c,
    GPU under full load ~65, always <70c

all memory modules have its own small heat-sink.

So i assume it could be fixed by increasing the memory voltage,

how to do this, afaik its not possible to mod the bios anymore?

Brand is btw Sapphire

~
    Florian

5. Yezirael

Yezirael Guest

haha normally no problem - due to several compile runs it was saved but chkdsk due to reset does'nt seem to like what i was working on :/

Edit:
    plus i can assume that hardware that's available for everyone and sold as 'finished' runs stable.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Most of the time, although there can be some incompatibilities between different hardware. Quite often motherboard bioses are updated that improve compatibility, are you running the latest bios?

7. Yezirael

Yezirael Guest

The card was on 2 Mainboards
    1st had a 970 chipset,
    the new one has 990FX.

PSU was 530 Watt BQ L8 which's been replaced by a Seasonic SS-860XP2.

I'd like to see a bios which increases the Memory voltage by 0.05V - 0.1V
    i'd take the risks, but i don't think there's an option as they've locked the bios more and more.. and nobody cares about a few 'early adopters' that bought the very first released reference models..

As far as i know its caused by their dynamic voltage scaling stuff as the Elpida memory wasnt that responsible as they thought it is .. but afaik it's impossible to disable the behavior completly (so only 2D and 3D state exists - fixed voltage) i wont care about the ~20-30watts more energy consumption ... :/

8. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just pull the cable and plug it back in the graphics card that should temp wake the system back up to save your work....

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

This only works sometimes based on my experience.

This happens to me pretty frequently, regardless of stock clocks or overclocked on my GPU, regardless of power-saving settings, regardless of platform (had it happen on a H97 Intel board, a 970 AMD board, and a 990 board), regardless of monitor (had it happen on 3 different Acer S201HLs either single, multi-monitor, or Eyefinity, and on an ancient Gateway VX1120), regardless of Windows OS (had it happen on 7, 8.1, and 10TP 9926), and seemingly regardless of GPU (had it happen with 3-4 different 7850 cards), and Omega doesn't fix it either.

The only thing I can do in my case is either turn off the monitors manually, or use Linux (Linux doesn't have the issue at all with both fglrx and radeon); the latter being the better option in my case.

As much as I like defending AMD on some issues; I can't think of anything with this annoying problem. Wherever the problem is though, it's either the driver itself, WIndows, or some issue between the both of them. But I'm on the assumption on it won't ever be fixed considering it can't even be reproduced consistently.

Edit: It's possible (as mentioned below) it could just take an usually long time to wake up. I didn't wait more than a minute or two before assuming the worst, so it could be possible it would have recovered.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  10. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Which driver are you using? We fixed an issue with a sleep bug on 14.12 Omega. However if you're using 14.12 and this issue is still occurring then disabling monitor sleep should resolve the issue in the meantime.

11. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    On my side, I'm using the Omega driver and the only way to stop this issue was to set the power profile to never put the monitor into stand by.
    It's not fixed.

12. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Please submit a bug report to our driver team and include your DXDIAG.TXT report so this issue will be flagged and fixed in a future driver update, thanks. :)

13. Yezirael

Yezirael Guest

Done.

Btw any idea how to fix the black-screen problem i described?
    (R9 290, Reference model - Elpida Memory)

The card's bios has been already updated to the latest avail. by Sapphire.
    Temp's are also low for now as stock cooler has been replaced - also did'nt fix the issue :/

Edit:
    I should have said that if the card will go into the blackscreen, the system reacts normally except there's no video showing on the monitor's :D
    Running 3d contexts (gl / d3d / mantle) are discarded.
    For example playing BF4 while being in Teamspeak -> black screen, bf4 freezes (no more bf4 sounds) - but teamspeak still works.

A reset wont help - i have to turn the system off and on again, otherwise no video-output.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Last I remember about the sleep bug, the monitors will eventually wake up, but according to AMD release notes, it will take an unusually long time (No idea exactly how long)

15. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Is the black screen resolved by increasing the core voltage or lowering the gpu memory? If so then the card might be faulty. I assume you're running at stock clocks?

16. Yezirael

Yezirael Guest

running stock clocks,
    when lowering memory clock from 1250 to ~1100 it runs nearly stable.

Edit:
    i tried to open a RMA via Sapphire they refused, sent me a new video-bios, which should have fixed the issue (it didnt).

17. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    It does sound like a faulty card, but it's hard to say for sure over a forum. Can you return it to the retailer?

18. Yezirael

Yezirael Guest

Probably,
    i'd have to remove my after-market-cooler (raijintek morpheus), but thats not a problem.

Main problem may be that i've bought the card in December 2013, so its >1y and so they'd 100% sent it to Sapphire = 8 - 12 weeks without Card :/.

(Card has been bought @ Conrad Elektronik // www.conrad.de)

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    increase volts by 25mv with trixx or AB and see if its stable.

20. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    You can remote desktop into the current pc to save the work. AMD might be half to blame here but yes save frequently and backup. I'm just laughing. let's blame AMD for everything.

AMD one of my computer fans stopped working. Thanks for breaking it amd. I need new drivers to make my fans work again...lol just kidding. How come people blame amd for pretty much stupidity.

Just turn of sleep mode cause it's useless anyway. if you worried about pc not booting fast enough then you have a faulty SSD or a HDD. I don't understand the big deal with the sleep issues anyway. Although it might not work right who uses that anyway. Like I said if you want to save power at night or so just switch off the pc at night. Sorry if i'm being rude but I'm also mad at amd for not releasing drivers and propper crossfire support but to blame AMD for stupidity is not right.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015