Time to say good Bye PC Gaming.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by stevevnicks, Mar 8, 2015.

1. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I kinda lost interest in pc gameing when most of my time was watching benchmarks and trying to squeeze as much as I can through overclocking without playing the game then moving onto the next game and upgrading hw to get fps, now i have been there done it I can't be arsed with it anymore.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sounds like a good portion of the forum right there....

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    lol yeah Im kinda the same now,

Im waiting for animated movies like gfx - U4E, Luminous, Snow Drop engine are all very close to that, so this time has finally come.. Took them only 8 years lol :D

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It probably is a good portion of the forum.
    There just isn't enough free time anymore to do that sort of thing unless i dedicate all my free time to gaming, and i will never do that.

Getting bored happens quite often, i took a 4 year break from 2004-2008 as i was bored, and again in 2012-2014 though this time i was still using my PC alot, just not for gaming.

It's not a bad time to be a PC gamer though, from a tech point of view it's great and getting better in the near future.

Game wise is also pretty good, you have lots of flashy if souless big budget games, a thriving indie industry as well as crowdfunded games that sit in the middle.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You spend more time tweaking for those few % points in benchmarks than anything else :nerd:

I had a phase like that a while ago, now I just can't be bothered. Stock everything. I turn it on, it works, I open Chrome, I waste my few minutes of free time, and back to sleep it goes.

6. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    Play older games and you'll love it again

7. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    The harsh winter we are having has put me right back into pc building and gaming. I started out by adding Samsung 850 evo 500 gb Ssd to my old x58 platform and its sata 2 mobo. I was so impressed at how much faster it was, that i decided to build a new system around it and finished it up today. This new build is lighting fast and i haven't even begun to tweak it yet. Details are in my signature. Still have my old system for work at home and web surfing...etc its a I7 920 quad core with 6 gigs of ram and a gtx 770 classified Card..and a 1 tb wd carviar black hd. With all the new games coming out, I'm ready for some new fun. ..I will be 53 years old in April...so much for the age thing!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have an illness I think.

I wake up go to work and think of nothing but gaming on my PC.

I then finish work and come home, turn on my PC and look at my game library...... over 200 games on steam, 20 games on origin, 5 games on uplay, and over 3000 retro games across 8 different platforms......

I then turn my PC off, go sit in a corner, curl up into a ball, and cry.

TOO MANY GAMES!!!!

I upgraded from a HD7970 to SLI 970's and whilst the performance is amazing and truly awesome. I still find my self mostly playing CSGO, Diablo 3, and STILL cod4 promod!

LOL

9. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    most of my game time for the last few years are European Games and Older Games.

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    That's me bro!

Recently installed the following games:

C & C Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge
    Half-Life 1998 With HD Texture Pack
    Quake III Arena
    Unreal Tournament 1999 GOTYE

However, unfortunately I do not have the time to game as I used to. Back in the day I'd play more in a day than I now do in a month!

Work and family are to blame...

11. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Well said.

I feel you 100%.

Haven't thought of VR this way. Good point
    I hope for this as well.

12. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    come the witcher 3 and you'll be back :D

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Feeling the same, with the exception of a few indies, gaming is not what it used to be.

I'm glad to see Fargo is doing a remake of The Bard's Tale as Wasteland 2 really did take me back to the times of 80 hours of great gameplay etc but the AAA games are just pants these days.

What do we have this week, a BF4 addon at full price and another AC game that will no doubt be up to Ubi's usual 'high' standards.

Just not a lot to get excited about these days, and what there is resides in the indie scene for the most part.

I've spent the last 2 weeks playing Richard Burns Rally (2004) and Insurgency (Newer, but an Indie, and I picked it up for $10.00).

14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I feel for you.

Like you, i have given up on gaming but for better things.

I have a house to look after, a wife and two little girls. I have time for the occasional game but would rather spend it doing other things.

If i do have time to game, its typically on my ps3 or ps4. The occasional PC gaming for me is retro, ie L4D2, Total Annihilation, Rome total war....

Newer titles simply do not appeal to me and for the first time ever, i feel that the gaming market is better on the console than PC, imo.

15. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    trying to think of a fair asking price for my system?

see my spec's

it also has 4x1tb 7200 rpm HDD 1x 1500tb 5400rpm HDD1x 120 SSD 2x DVD Rw 1 x BR rw

3x 1080p AOC monitors k65 keyboard + roccat xtd mouse

win 8.1 64bit pro (with disk) and media center code

system built around 10 months ago

not been O\C run at deault settings

maybe half what it would cost to build to day? using same parts?

16. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    OP, I know how you feel. After more than 30 years of gaming (I will be 41 y.o. in April 30) middle of last year was turn over in my gaming career. After closing of Crysis 2 multiplayer (Gamespy shutdown) I was dissapointed and lost all my interests in PC gaming. Also most of my online friends who used to play games before they stopped gaming years ago, last few were from Crysis 2 multiplayer.

My house is full of gaming PC's, OK it's mostly because I have 3 kids (and their friends, other kids from family...) who like to play games a lot over the weekend here at our home, but when weekend comes I don't have any motive to join them not even for a few minutes.

Elite Dangerous was my "island of hope" because I've played a lot original game on C-64 but I've stoped before starting cause I know I don't have enough free time to get into the game for at least hour or two per day, that's impossible atm.

atm I'm hoping that some new VR project (Valve's) would change that soon, more than 15 years had passed since I've tried VFX1 but it was well ahead it's time compared to gaming PC hardware backthen. If that doesn't happen anytime soon going retro is the only gaming solution I see in near future, occasional gaming on my old computers like C-64 or Amiga 500 waiting for me boxed in basement of my house :) Who knows, maybe Win10/DX12 will bring something new in PC gaming table, "fresh ideas" or whatever, but honestly I have doubt about that.

Until then I'm enjoying watching my kids playing games offline & online, when nostalgia for my old gaming days strikes me bad I just pull the chair behind my kids while they playing and old time memories are coming uncalled. Can't forget old times & few of my closest friends who were ancient gamers like me, backthen were so thrilled about gaming on C-64 + 1531 tape recorders (later it was 1541 5.25" FDD drive) + pile of games on tapes, bags full of ice for C-64 AC/DC adapter (because of 10, 15, 30 gaming sessions non-stop... just eating, gaming and sleeping)... bring it on! I want those times back...

But as someone stated here earlier, maybe this has something to do with years... :( I really hope that's not the case, in my case...

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    If one is a newcomer to gaming, they will likely be thrilled with whats on offer. But if you've been at it for many years (or decades), it can wear you down. Game genres also figure into it for me. Single player shooters, RPGs, open world type of games quickly bore me, even if I was initially impressed with a game, its not often I can finish it.

RTS games though continue to provide me with the greatest enjoyment and satisfaction, ie, Supreme Commander, Rise of Nations, COH, WIC, especially when playing with friends. These dont wear me down as they provide constant opportunities to exercise your creativity (rather than scripted, predictable stuff of other games).

18. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    i think the final nail in the coffen for me is to many games on all formats theses days are just money pits with day one masive updates and add-on's etc half the time the games just dont keep my intrest more than 15mins :/ so for they simply not worth the money, the industry is bleeding there customers dry for sub content and add on's when the back in the day when i enjoyed gamming you got the full game and maybe later they realesed an add on if the game was worth it. theses days buy a game get home have to spend money as soon as you load it up lol nah not my cup o tea theses days .. i think i will spend all that money on doing things other than sit in looking at a screen bored sh!tless lol.

19. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yep, pretty much this...

Also: spring is comming, one more reason to pause my gaming needs for some time... And I'm desperate for some sun so I can take my wife and kids to our small cabin near Danube to swim, fish, barbecue with friends, make fool of myself in front of my youngsters :D

There's a lot of other things in life to do and people around me worth of my free time, as I'm getting older (pardon: leveling up) more and more I'm realizing life is shorter then I thought and I don't want to waste it that much on gaming like I did before, gotta left some "gaming strenght" for my grandchildren one day :D

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Once bingo gets a grip of you, it will make the money you spent on PC upgrades look some spare change you found down the back of the couch. lol