Time to say good Bye PC Gaming.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by stevevnicks, Mar 8, 2015.

1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    After years of being into PC gaming and building PC's things seem to have gone stale in my enjoyment factor when it comes to gaming full stop these days.

i have notice over the years i have lost a lot of the excitement i used to enjoy when upgrading to new hardware, everything just seems to me lost its magic?

probs more of an age thing there though.

i have been thinking about the amount of money i that i spend on trying to find my gaming fix.

no matter how much i spend on hardware or new games i never seem to get the enjoyment i once got, again probs an age thing.

so after thinking about the money spent vs enjoyment getting back, i have decided to sell all my PC equipment (apart from one lowish end PC being kept for music creativity)

i think its time to hang up my gaming gloves as im just not getting the enjoyment i once got.

i cant help feeling i just cant justify the money i spend on PC's any more.

time to find a new hobbie hhmmm maybe BINGO lol :/

2. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I have given up on PC gaming as well, but for different reasons.

I would probably still enjoy playing, I would buy legitimate retail copies of games, and I would spend money to upgrade my hardware, but the Draconian DRM that has become the status quo in the industry has caused me to find other distractions.

3. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I feel you...

That's exactly how the way I feel about PC gaming. It has been years since the last time I played a 'proper' PC game, and I've lost my interest in upgrading my PC years ago.

My PC is collecting dust for months now since I'm too lazy to fix the OS. I'm thinking in selling the PC.

Yea, that must be the age thingy...

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    While you guys are getting tired of "just" PC gaming i´m getting tired of gaming in general.
    I´m sick and tired of almost all the souless games that are being released nowadays. Games that are the same old **** since 10 years ago, that are released unfinished and crippled by DLC, that care more about looking cool and presentation instead of caring about the most important thing in games that really matters, gameplay!!!

Good thing that there are a few gems around like Dark Souls and a few others otherwise this would be very bad...

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    take as a good thing.
    more time for yourself,more time for getting another hobby.
    enjoy life!

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Find a new hobby, and maybe you can come back later! I know PC upgrades got stale for me when I got to the point where I could afford almost anything I wanted, whenever I wanted. It's not like the olden days where I was a broke teenager. Now an upgrade is like "that's nice", then I go back to playing Civ V.

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I enjoy playing games. but fps games give me motion sickness.

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I do exactly the same, I've held back on pulling the trigger a bunch of times because the games I play just don't warrant the upgrade. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been sat with a 970 in my basket while browsing a hardware store.

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    it used to be well worth it when upgrade a pc. because back then an simple upgrade brought big performance increases.

now it just little performance increase for a big price.

back in 2000 you got a massive improvement when upgrading hardware and operation system.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Gaming is only about 20% of what I do with my machine, I enjoy building / upgrading gaming machines, don't really care if I game much on them or not, so long as I know they can run the games when I do want to play something

The fun is in the build

11. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    This is why retro gaming is still going on. It does have the tendency to make you want to brake your controller though.

That, or perhaps you are looking into the wrong games. Stop going for the AAA titles and try to find more obscure ones.

12. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    I've gone the other way; after years of bemoaning the lack of real graphical progress since Crysis there's so much exciting me atm.

Star Citizen and the new Unreal Tournament are already, even at a basic super pre alpha phase, exciting me more than anything since I was hooked on Blur.

Project CARS looks amazing. VR is nearly here and visceral. The dk2 is great but it's already so heavily superceded. 4k brings the end of the aliased low res blockiness in my hone theatre. Gsync and adaptive sync means no tearing, yet fast and fluid framerates.

Consoles are almost stunningly meh, atm.

Best time to be a PC Gamer in years. Shows no sign of changing anytime soon. Bring it!

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I never stop gaming but i do other things as well, i do feel you in recent years generally, games have been just one big bug+big fat 1 day patch and DLC.

However there were and still good games from time to time, i think u need a break.

14. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    If you're tired of gaming, take a step away and go venture into other hobbies. As of late I myself have been trying to get back into hiking. When I was younger I spent a lot of time hiking and backpacking. But, not having a car (or being able to drive) has also made that slightly difficult. I still enjoy gaming, but I also like to step away occasionally to do other hobbies and activities that I enjoy.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I'm hoping that VR will rekindle my interest...at least my ability to engross myself anyway. I tend to play in a more casual fashion these days, opting for opportunities to explore or engage with the environment than go and fight all the time.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well this quite sums it up for me, heh im just tired of the same, a new GTA is just that, another GTA, the same applies to most games, im tired of them even before I play them, maybe because I got used to games getting better and better, its like after playing a modern ARPG like mass effect I cant stand playing nonsense like assansins creed

so now my only hope is something like star citizen with VR, if that cant make me play 15h straight a day then im done with gaming lol

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Bad timing. Games are finally going to get this magic next-gen makeover - CGI gfx..

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    As far as PC upgrades and PC gaming goes my current rig is my last rig that I am willing to build any future CPU upgrades will be in the form of pre built systems and will add stuff of my own to it at later times. Also right now I am saving up for a gaming laptop as well as other things for my current rig such as a RAM upgrade and a bigger resolution monitor either 1440p or 4K not sure at this point. I can understand quitting PC gaming because of time restraints and other things we do in our daily lives.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I lost interest in gaming a few years ago. I still buy the occasional game such as BF4 and SimCity. I still game on occasion, but it's not nearly as often as it used to be. I might spend 2-3 hours a week "gaming" these days whereas I used to spend at least that a night gaming.

As for upgrades... I generally only do it when a product comes along that catches my interest or will provide a reasonable performance increase for it's cost. Beginning of the year I went from an HD7950 to a GTX970 simply because the 970 performs better in Folding@Home.... which can be even more a money sink than gaming. I've been planning my next system upgrade for the last couple years, but haven't found anything worth upgrading to. At the current point, I plan to carry my 2600K into 2016 waiting for AMD's "Zen" architecture. If that doesn't provide a degree of excitement, I'll probably just stick with my 2600K until it finally fails. Nothing Intel has coming is interesting to me.... I guess you can only spend but so many years on this "hobby" before it gets to be a bit boring...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I probably enjoy building as much if not more than gaming. Having said that when both my children are at home we have a three way retro bash on MW2. Hilarious times, certainly when you add a few glasses of wine.

I work away from home for 10 weeks at a time and then beck for 4 so I don't game enough to get bored, also while im away I plan upgrades or builds which stops me being homesick and gives me something to do.

The games I play make a difference, yes stuff like BF and flight sims but im big into TW and COH which I play when im away as well (just transfer the saves from laptop to gaming rig).