AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Irrelevant, because Nvidia has had driver level downsampling for like, probably a freaking DECADE. They just threw a buzzword onto it with DSR.

That's the only reason AMD even bothered at all. If they hadn't, they wouldn't of had to play catch up to Nvidia's own stupid buzzwords with their own stupid buzzwords.

You can't even set a freaking custom resolution without a third party hack.

2. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    Some people would defend Kim-Yong-Un, if they bought him ;)

How do you defend selling freesync monitors to people, who can´t use the main feature, because there´s no driver capeable.
    How do you defend AMD offering no crossfire profile for almost 4 months?
    How do you defend AMD not working close enough with and spending enough money to game developers to make their games work better out of the box?

People are angry, because they spent Money, and feel treated like crap.

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    im not defending AMD, im just dumbfounded at all this rage for entirely made up reasons.

Crossfile profiles i can understand, but freesync and vsr raging is unfounded.

4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    For Freesync - I don't care, I doubt anyone does but for VSR I do care. You see, what happened is we had custom resolution option and it worked fine on any card from AMD. AMD decides to REMOVE IT in favor of VSR. Aaaaaand they support VSR only on newest top end cards and r9 285. Everyone else LOST an option/feature call it what you like.

I don't mind not getting VSR, but I do mind custom resolution feature being removed in that case. Do you understand? I am not mad, I am screwed and disappointed and rightfully so.

5. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Since I switched to AMD, (about 6 or so months ago), I haven't had an option for custom resolutions with a third party hack. That's just pathetic. The not being able to downsample all willy nilly like I could on my freakin' Nvidia 6800 from ages ago was doubly pathetic, and I recall reading here or somewhere like here that when downsampling was brought up like a year or so ago on twitter, some guy at AMD didn't even get what downsampling was :x

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Did AMD remove it, or was the tool not updated? And was downsampling an actual official feature?

MSI Afterburner for example has an option for unofficial overclocking mode (much higher values or something). They clearly state it's unsupported, and that it can break at any point with a driver update. So if this feature stops working, is it really right to be angry at AMD for "removing" that feature?

I have no idea what that downsampling tool was doing exactly, but if it was relying on already-sketchy methods of doing what it did (much like the unofficial overclocking mode); it shouldn't be a surprise it broke.

7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    There was a "custom" button in CCC in monitor resolution settings some year ago up to some, I think, 13.xx drivers. Then they removed it. I was on nVidia back than so I didn't really follow it up closely. It was pretty much the same as custom resolution in nvidia control panel. There were also 3rd party tools that worked after that but then AMD did "something" and they don't work any longer either.

There is nothing sketchy about it, it's quite simple - GPU renders the game in higher resolution internally then scales the final image down to your actual resolution. But first you must have an option to let the game see higher resolution.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm, this is the first I've ever heard of a native downsampling option from Catalyst. I can't say I recall the button exactly either.

I'm aware of that downsampling java applet thing, but from my understanding, it wasn't using some natively-supported downsampling method at all, and was using "hacky" methods to allow downsampling. But I don't know for sure (could probably check that downsampling thread for specifics).

I was calling the methods for getting downsampling via that java applet sketchy, not the concept of downsampling itself (it's sort of like driving a sports car that you put together out of other car parts with duct-tape; there's no guarantee how long it'll work, but it'll work (albeit not recommended by anyone to use nor condoned and with no implied warranty from any of the car manufacturer's whose parts you used), and will most certainly break later).

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I was just looking through google images trying to find some old catalyst panels with that option but with no luck.

what exists is this:
    Catalyst 14.20 RC (for FirePro)
    [​IMG]

so obviously the ability itself is there, it's just locked away for "mortals"

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Is that downsampling though, or is that an area to set custom monitor resolutions?

The latter wouldn't really be as-useful to most people considering most LCDs already output at their max resolution. Also CRU already offers a similar method for adding resolutions.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    it's both, google "downsampling firepro"
    you can also see in that screenshot that it is set to downsample

CRU doesn't really work, at least not for me, and it doesn't downsample afaik, idk, I tried it it just messed my monitor driver I had to reinstall.

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I'm not sure I really see the downsampling part at all on the screenshot (maybe I'm just missing it).

All those settings on that window just instantly remind me of CRU's interface for adding custom resolutions.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Similar to Nvidia's custom resolution options you could specify a resolution above your native one which would work with the correct settings, used in a program or game it would then downsample from that down to the monitors native res. :)

14. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Asking for VSR or DSR or whatever I consider them luxurious gifts, but what we really should be concerned about is lack of crossfire profiles for almost 4 months ,I mean what are they thinking ? Has AMD completely lost their minds?
    I have a huge game collection from 2014 waiting to be played but AMD somehow decided to stop me from playing them.

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

But my understanding of downsampling is just that; rendering at a higher resolution and then fitting it on a lower resolution.

The way I see it; if you add a custom resolution and run the monitor at that resolution, and play the game in that resolution, there wouldn't be any downsampling going on; you're just playing at a higher resolution that the monitor happens to support.

Based on experience; if you happen to add an unsupported resolution to a monitor and try to select it in-game (like trying to run 2160p on a 1080p display); you just won't get an image displayed since the display is incapable of that resolution on it's own (the game tells the OS/driver to switch the display to that resolution as-is). Another piece of software/driver would be needed (VSR, GeDoSaTo, xrandr, etc) in order to change that behavior.

16. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, just tried dying light... does really hurt, don´t want to play it, until it works properly on my cfx-system... screen seems to "vibrate" and i get less fps than with one card... would really need that for eyefinity. what makes it harder, is that this is one of the very few games, that seem to have really perfect multimonitor support, and that it overall seems to be damn entertaining... I hope that the new profiles are not only "there" but offer real gain... i´m so tired of collecting games just to wait for working profiles...

@amdmatt:
    will there also be a cfx-profile for assetto corsa in foreseeable future?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  17. Osjur

Osjur Member

GPU:
    Radeon Fury X
    Why did they stop releasing CAP's?

This is hilarious when there's a 3 month cap between driver releases and they didn't even have working CF profiles for the games that were released before Omega Drivers... I feel like someone is pissing me in the eye :peeright::mad2:

18. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    lol, beautyful

19. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I've had "rage" since switching to AMD because they seemingly neglect basic features Nvidia has had for ages. Why is that worth laughing at, and worth defending? People should get annoyed by these things. It's stupid. It shows AMD basically only cares to do the bare minimum until Nvidia turns it into a buzzword they can take their slow ass time to barely exploit. It's a legit concern. At least for me. HARDLY anything you should be poking an "lol" at.

20. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    The whole crossfire thing is just sad. I really feel sorry for those folks. Why AMD hasn't separated the profiles from Catalyst is beyond me. They really, really, really should of made their own equivalent to GeForce Experience. They should do a lot of things, lol. But it's really clear they never will. Can they even afford to?