ReShade - Advanced post-processing everywhere (SweetFX)

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by CeeJay.dk, Nov 30, 2014.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    so is it safe to move on to windows 8.1 ??

meaning can i use reshade+MER or SFX2 ?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm on Windows 8.1 and ReShade is working just fine. :)
    (One of the improvements with that injector is Windows 8 / 8.1 compatibility.)

3. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    Hmm...I just noticed that Reshade includes an EULA...that's interesting.

FXAAinjector, injectSMAA, SweetFX(Official), SweetFX(Boulotaur), EFX = No EULA

Reshade = EULA

What is the official reason behind that I wonder? :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    hmmmm

what injector ?

I remember trying reshade on win 8.1 and it didn't work

5. kgonepostl

kgonepostl Member

GPU:
    asus r9 290 dcu II
    I'm using windows 8.1, definitely works! I've used opengl and direct 9/10/11 personally. Are you sure you're installing it properly? I made a video on how to install reshade here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRmnpmTKG3s

6. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i got it working on win7 , i do it in a much simpler way then add Master effect reborn which what i want

i'll give it a test later

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm manually installing it although auto detection should work just fine in 99% of all cases since if it detects a API when it checks a exe the game can hook via that file but I like setting things up manually.

Copy ReShade32 or ReShade64 .dll to the folder with the game exe and then rename it to either dxgi.dll for d3d10/d3d11 or d3d9.dll for d3d9 and finally opengl32.dll for games using OpenGL.

Make sure the SweetFx folder is also there along with Sweet.fx or should you want to it can also be named ReShade.fx or the graphical API used to hook such as dxgi.fx I think it was.

Also I use a blank .txt file and call it dxgi.txt, d3d9.txt or opengl32.txt as that prevents the first ReShade pop-up message since the log file is already present, can help with compatibility and also makes the first start faster as it does not need to give you that pop-up prompt.

In SweetFx_settings.txt I also changed this to 0 to disable the transition effect as I don't need it, info in the top left corner already shows if it's running.

#define USE_TRANSITION 0

And in ReShade_Settings.txt this is set to 0 as I use MSI Afterburner for FPS display.

#define ReShade_ShowStatistics 0

(Perhaps might have some compatibility improvement too but I doubt it.)

So far the only issue has been that some games use different functions or how to say for someone like me who don't really know the tech behind these hooks and how ReShade works so compatibility can be a bit rough but ReShade is updated fairly often and this newest version seems to work on nearly everything that I have tried it with. :)
    (Minus the depth buffer because I prefer to use MSAA along with SMAA via ReShade to help remove "jaggies" though in games that lack MSAA support the depth buffer usually works although some games clear it and do other stuff so it's not perfect yet but it has improved as well with every ReShade update.)

Oh and speaking of MSAA do not force driver level MSAA as that can and probably will break ReShade compatibility, in-game MSAA works but forcing it can cause issues as I've seen a number of times in posts on the ReShade forums.
    (Forcing AF doesn't seem to do anything problematic however and I don't know if MSAA "tweaks" like SGSSAA for Nvidia can also bug things out, I'm using Edge-Detect and Adaptive-AA as a AMD user and that seems to work though I don't override MSAA to always be enabled and as expected the depth buffer won't be available with MSAA enabled.)

8. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's there to clarify what you are allowed to do with ReShade, which is rather squishy without one.
    Basically allows everybody to use it, as long as one doesn't sell the ReShade injector itself for monetary profit (exception is including it in your own (commercial) game/app as long as proper visible credits are given).

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

just tested win8.1 and it worked 100%

too bad i'm switching back to win7 because black magic shuttle doesn't work on win8.1 :(

edit : oh yeah black magic works with win8.1 :pc1:

10. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    What is the highest smaa setting in new reshade + sweetfx ?
    Is anyone actually using corner rounding ?
    I am just usually maxing 4 first settings.

Tested the new depth smaa feature but it doesnt do anything

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    SMAA is currently only at 1x and while there were discussions around SMAA T2X and 4X if I remember correctly then there were problems with getting them to work via the injector due to special requirements for those modes.

For the current SMAA implementation I just pushed the settings to max, it's not that demanding but to be honest it will be difficult to spot a difference between the default values and the highest allowed.

Code:
    #define SMAA_THRESHOLD              0.10  //[0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold. If SMAA misses some edges try lowering this slightly. I prefer between 0.08 and 0.12.
    #define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS         98  //[0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
    #define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG    16  //[0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
    #define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING           0  //[0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners. 0 seems to affect fine text the least so it's the default.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
    #define SMAA_EDGE_DETECTION            2  //[1|2|3] 1 = Luma edge detection, 2 = Color edge detection, 3 = Depth edge detection
    #define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND     0  //[0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.
                                              //Enable this only if you use a Geforce 7xxx series or older card, or a Radeon X1xxx series or older card.

// -- SMAA Predication settings --
    #define SMAA_PREDICATION               1  //[0 or 1] Enables predication which uses BOTH the color and the depth texture for edge detection to more accurately detect edges.
    #define SMAA_PREDICATION_THRESHOLD 0.001  // Threshold to be used in the depth buffer.                                      
    #define SMAA_PREDICATION_SCALE       2.0  // How much to scale the global threshold used for luma or color edge detection when using predication
    #define SMAA_PREDICATION_STRENGTH    0.4  // How much to locally decrease the threshold.

// -- Debug SMAA settings --
    #define SMAA_DEBUG_OUTPUT             0  //[0 to 4] 0 = Normal, 1 = edgesTex, 2 = blendTex, 3 = areaTex, 4 = searchTex - Only for troubleshooting. Users don't need to mess with this. 
    From what I've read about it the SMAA Threshold setting if set to a very low value can detect a lot of false edges, I lowered it slightly and from what I've read if you use depth buffer edge detection then it is possible to use extremely low values for this setting for greater effect without that drawback.

The two search step values I simply put to the highest possible, again though it will be difficult to spot a difference between these and the defaults even if you do a zoomed in comparison shot.

Corner rounding even at low values while it helps with aliasing it will affect HUD and other text in a negative way by making them more blurry or smudged or how to say, as ReShade allows changing settings on the fly this is very easy to test by say putting a game in windowed or borderless mode and just alt-tabbing and changing this to for example 25 or so and then in-game you should notice that ReShade gives a status message about re-compiling the effect and when that's done (Takes a few seconds at most.) you should notice a immediate difference with HUD and other text elements so I keep this disabled / at default.

Edge Detection is interesting with that third value for depth edge detection although in my testing (Will require the game to have a working depth buffer hook with ReShade or how to say.) it's not as effective as the default color edge detection but it is sharper as it doesn't affect HUD elements much if at all which is great.

The DX9 thing seems to be a compatibility setting for older GPU's so leave that alone unless required as per it's description.

SMAA Predication should help with edge detection and thus a reduction of aliasing but it does of course require ReShade to be able to hook to the depth buffer or it won't really be able to do much.

The settings for it I've left at default as I need to do more testing but I think the default values are good as is so I haven't really messed with them yet.

Debug Output is as per the description just used for troubleshooting so leave that disabled. :)

EDIT: Someone who knows more about the SMAA shader itself can probably give a better answer, I believe the effect is also currently lacking a few additional optimizations compared to the version in SweetFx 1.5.1 but in my opinion it really doesn't cause much of a performance hit, especially compared to MSAA in DX11 titles that allow that.
    (If you don't need the depth buffer for some other shader effects then using SMAA with MSAA works pretty well, maybe not as effective as SSAA or downsampling but in comparison to those it has a much lighter performance hit.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  12. isamu99

isamu99 Guest

Can someone please address this question? I too cannot get ReShade to activate when the CRT effect is enabled. Why is this happening?

13. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    Thanks JB
    I actually dont mind corner rounding in most cases.
    had no idea that too low treshold might cause problems too,

14. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I've updated SweetFX 2.0 beta to preview 6.

Since Crosire haven't been online today, I've put it up myself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0w38r7myyhb6j8c/SweetFX 2.0 preview 6.7z?dl=0

It improves the Ascii shader with a better 3x5 font and an option to quickly swap the font and background color.
    It also improves performance overall, and has support for the new seperate FPS and Clock counters.
    I've also gone over the code and cleaned it up and fixed a warning in the DPX shader.

Let me know if you find any bugs and let me know what you'd most like to see in SweetFX.

15. glitch203

glitch203 Guest

GPU:
    msi hd 6770 1go
    thank you

16. padolamap

padolamap Guest

GPU:
    ATI RANDEON 6990 4GB
    first of all thank you and all those who make these great works. Never thought of unifying SweetFx with ME and to select which effect each use, create a tool that achieves this junction, Serious perfection as each have very impressive things that would enhance certain effects of the other, repeat all are very good but together would be the best.
    excuse my English but I use google translator.

17. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    K-putt found a few bugs in preview 6, and I've already fixed a few of them .. I'll look over then code again and then release preview 7 when I think I've fixed them.

18. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Right now they cannot be combined, but Marty (MasterEffects), LuciferHawk (GEMFX) and I (SweetFX) are talking and trying to come up with a framework that would allow users to easily combine effects from each shader suite.

So maybe in the future.

19. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I can enable it on my end - do you get the same error with preview 6?

And what GPU are you using? AMD / Nvidia / Intel ? , Model?

20. padolamap

padolamap Guest

GPU:
    ATI RANDEON 6990 4GB
    It's the best answer I could have received. Really thank you