AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This driver has been amazingly good for me , no complains here as a Crossfire user , I am not in a hurry to update from this great totally stable driver. no issues to report on any of the games I play :) , happy with the performance and features :)

2. Gapster

Gapster Guest

GPU:
    2xSapphire R9 290x Tri-x
    I just want a new system of updating crossfirex profiles, without updating whole driver. And i'm happy to see, that driver team have a new standart of quality.

3. LocKeRoM14

LocKeRoM14 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan X
    Absolutely this driver is amazingly good and I have no issues at 1400p with crossfire so stable and great, really great experience and smooth gameplay with minesweeper and solitaire. :banana:

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I had no issues using it with my HD 7950 crossfire before getting this R9 290.
    Only reason I want a new driver is too see if vsr works with mixed mode eyefinity.

It works on all 3 monitors individually, but not in eyefinity.

Still not having custom resolutions like nvidia, geodasato not supporting DX11 really sucks.

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Doh!

missed that...

lol

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    warsam isnt a volunteer, hes an employee.

Sam Tehrani

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Sam Tehrani actually Mac. :)

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    my bad...corrected

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Good job that was a 'rough estimate' :p

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Drivers are so overrated. We should just buy a new graphics card when a new game comes out (cards should ship with custom drivers). Easier for the likes of AMD and NVIDIA.

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Can already imagine the chaos of driver confusion and unofficial drivers now :p

Then there's glorious Linux where you don't even have to worry about doing massive driver updates (when not using proprietary drivers anyway). My graphics stack updating includes typing two commands and rebooting. No previous-driver cleanup regiment, no downloading 200MB+ driver packages, no re-setting up GPU stuff after an update, and best of all, no waiting weeks/months for driver updates (daily updates ftw).

Process isn't as fun when you get AMD's proprietary driver involved though, but there's little reason/scenarios to even use it for the most part.

And just in-case anyone's confused by that; there's basically two means of graphics support under Linux (for both AMD and NVIDIA). Can either use the open-source drivers/stack (nice and easy to maintain, can have lower performance in some scenarios), or proprietary drivers (the main AMD driver or aka fglrx). There is no real cut-and-dry answer as to which driver you should use (fglrx is actually rather problematic in some scenarios, whereas open-source is fine), but non-GCN hardware should probably ignore fglrx entirely.

To compare it to Windows; it's basically the difference between using the out-the-box Windows driver (in cases where your GPU is supported and works well) vs Catalyst. Although on Windows, in most cases you'd want to install the proprietary driver.

Could go on even further about this and some other graphics-stuff on Linux, but I'm not sure if anyone really cares :p

12. tmbt

tmbt Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5770 1GB
    Hi guys,
    which driver should i use for Windows 10 TP ?
    This one works ?

Thx

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

This driver works fine. Windows Update does provide a newer driver though; so if you do install this driver, make sure to keep an eye on the driver version in-case WU updates it randomly; or alternatively, just disable automatic driver updates.

14. Fuudimitzu

Fuudimitzu Guest

GPU:
    Zotac AMP Extreme 980ti
    Hope next driver will improve CPU utilisation.

15. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I'm pretty sure not.
    They were trying to employ someone the other week for that effect.
    That work isn't done in 1 week.
    I expect to see results in 1 year or 6 months

16. AmD6000

AmD6000 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    I'm still waiting for new drivers AMD! What's wrong?

17. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    They were waiting for you to complain on Guru3D forums, now they'll probably get released within the next twelve hours.

You know what, I'm going to agree, it's taking AMD an awful long time to release these drivers. But what's the point of complaining now? Maybe the wait will be worth it? Maybe they've finally fixed a lot of the issues we have had over the past and are adding a few new features and need to make sure they're polished and working.

Complaining now won't make them come out faster, but if and when the drivers come out, if they turn out to be some random ordinary drivers with barely any improvements and fixes and are dated end of January or beginning of February. Then I'd be one of the first people complaining. But complaining now isn't going to get them released faster. I think our reactions should collectively be saved for after the release. They wouldn't take this long for no reason, there must be a reason for it.

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Don't know if this is a problem with these Omega drivers, but does anyone else keep getting the modes that are unsupported by their monitor showing up.

As having a strange like refresh problem (had it since i built this new new rig, and only these Omega drivers have been on it), im on 144Hz, but every now and again while browsing, desktop suddenly starts to lag/stutter, like the refresh has changed back to 60Hz, or lower, as sometimes its really laggy, and all i have to do to fix it is, either open one of my drives, folders on my desktop, the Task Manager, or grab my Firefox window like im going to drag it about, as when i do any of those things, it instantly goes back to normal. :confused:

Now today, i noticed in my Display Properties, Monitor, the unsupported modes check box, was unchecked, so i had all the modes listed my monitor doesn't support as well (interlaced ones, 25/30Hz and that), so i re-checked it, re-applied, but it doesn't stick, everytime i reboot, switch off/on, it reverts back to unchecked, so all those unsupported modes come back.

Just wondering if that could be my weird desktop lag/stutter problem, and its only on the desktop, as games are fine, as ive even left it laggy on the desktop, and fired up a game, and the games still ran perfect, until ive quit, where by im back on the laggy desktop.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  19. AmD6000

AmD6000 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    I'm not complaining, but if you read your post it looks like the one who is complaining is you! :)

20. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I have the problem with the unsupported modes listed too, the unchecked box. But my desktop isn't laggy (not anymore, it happened once or twice when the desktop just showed up after the boot, now it seems ok, but CCC takes its time to boot - just check Task Manager too see how much time it takes to load up to around 100mb and than move down to around 15mb after entering Windows). Dying Light is running very well (Besiege too, but it's like a mobile game), Unreal Engine 4 is perfect. I'm not running anything else.