HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Are you guys using GeDoSaTo HBAO? Or Actual Driver HBAO+?:3eyes:

ALSO: With the InjectPixelShaders, do you think it would be possible to determine points when other effects are rendered that may be bleeding with an otherwise working flag with any given game?

2. Stein3x

Stein3x Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 GTX G1 | SLI
    Yes, i'm using SLI , it's working when you stand still but when you move the camera around it's flashing. I'm using 4k DSR , 4xSGSSAA , 16/9 AR and ingame AO is disabled through the config. I tried all possible combinations running single card , native 1080p trying a different flag but nothing worked :( . Here's a comparison

HBAO+ is enabled but absent

[​IMG]

Once i move one step forward

[​IMG]

I don't know maybe it worked on a previous driver or it's just me (i think i remember it was working months ago with my 560Ti)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  3. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    Actually, I'm using GeDoSaTo HBAO, since it's tweakable and I couldn't find any playable driver-level flag. Off-topic i know, but GeDo it's the only AO solution right now for RE4.

Yes, I believe it is possible, it stills a post-process effect, but we need someone who can figure how and when HBAO+ is injected in the rendering pipeline so we can intercept it (and someone who can translate hbao+ so we can manually add it using injectors). We depend on nvidia for this, to add fixes on the game profiles.

4. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Those RE4 screenshots I posted were using lower quality
    ssaoScale=2

If I don't downsample I can use the highest quality
    ssaoScale=1
    and still get a solid 60fps.

I started a New Game+ with HBAO and everything was pretty good until I got to the house fight with you and Luis fending off baddies. Then it started wigging out and it looked like a screen saver. Disabling HBAO fixed it. The castle section had the same problem too. So while there are still plenty of bugs using this method it's a great start.

This has opened my eyes about problems forcing AO in other games that previously didn't work. For instance lately I've been using Reshade/MasterEffect Reborn to force AO in OpenGL and DX10 games but it doesn't work if it lacks depth buffer information. I initially tried using Reshade to force AO in RE4 but it lacked depth buffer so I'm wondering how the HBAO shader in GeDoSaTo is able to do what Reshade/MasterEffect Reborn wasn't?

5. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    - Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! -

0x00000023 (Performance)

1st Comparison
    No AO
    HBAO+

2nd Comparison
    No AO
    HBAO+

3rd Comparison
    No AO
    HBAO+

Notes: Tested and working with 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. This flag is almost perfect, haven't noticed any bleeding or flickering situation. Performance mode is a must with this flag since Quality mode creates extreme ghosting and haloing:
    No AO
    HBAO+ @Performance Setting
    HBAO+ @Quality Setting

6. syklonis

syklonis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 MSI Trio
    Wildstar??

Is Wildstar completely impossible to add HBAO to?

7. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    is hard to tell any difference, i'm using hbao+ on my game too but i'm only having less performance. I notice the AO thing in some corners but only when i get real close.

8. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    Will far cry 3 work with hboa+?

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    This is unfortunate :(

Hopefully someone else can test this as well and see if the issue is present.

Also, it looks like you still have the in game AO enabled in that shot. Make sure it's disabled, that may be why you are having an issue.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ah, well not like Nvidia actually cares about it's half-assed efforts *Sigh*

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Any downsides to using the performance mode? Like any obvious aliasing effects or anything?

It's also very interesting that Performance provides such a dramatically different effect. :3eyes: i've always used and tested with high quality. Now I wonder if the performance mode may help or work with games that have severe problems similar to this.

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Read the HBAO+ list and reference on page 1, seriously :bang:
    I'm getting tired of people asking for flags already in both MrBonk's AO/AA lists, as well as my own master list spreadsheet.

13. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    I'm using the HBAO shader included with GeDoSaTo. The HBAO shader itself is actually quite customizable. I was messing around with some values last night and was able to achieve MUCH better results than the default settings. It's currently a very tedious process to preview changes but hopefully I'll get some more time to fiddle with it. After I get it to my liking I'll post the results.

14. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    Thank You

15. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    That's true unfortunately. :kermit:

Haven't noticed anything strange until now, actually, I'm trying to take a screenshot that shows only the AO buffer to see if there are big differences.

16. Stein3x

Stein3x Master Guru

GPU:
    Indeed , in this comparison i left the ingame AO enabled since i've already tested everything with it being disabled and it didn't make a difference. Seems that the HBAO+ is flashing frequently if being near light sources , dunno know someone else has to test to check if it's really not working or is it only me. Maybe it's something inside inspector settings? I didn't create a new profile since the game uses UDK's profile.

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I seriously doubt this is some type of SLI issue :)
    Did you try testing HBAO+ WITHOUT SGSSAA forced?
    Sometimes SGSSAA can make these issues worse.

Please post a screenshot of your full Inspector profile.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Maybe that's why.

I would try renaming the game's UDK.exe to something custom (You probably will have to re add it to Steam to launch it from there) and make a new profile for that .exe and then reset the UDK profile to defaults.

I don't know if this will change anything. But I always rename UDK games if the game will allow you to launch it with a renamed .exe (Most do)

19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I just finished testing HBAO+ in Ryse: Son of Rome, and nothing works without one issue or another.
    This was tested at 1920x1200, using maximum ingame settings and 1.5x1.5 SSAA.

"0x00100000" and "0x00150000" both apply decent effects, but flicker like crazy.
    On top of that, "0x00150000" also causes ground textures to disappear on some maps :(

BTW here is a list of useful configuration variables, which you can add to your system.cfg file to tweak various annoyances in the new CryEngine: RYSE: Useful CVars Overview (Crytek Knowledgebase)
    Personally I have added these lines to my own system.cfg:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  20. Stein3x

Stein3x Master Guru

GPU:
    I did try without SGSSAA , at native res & even created a new profile as MrBonk suggested, added NaissanceE (renamed it from UDK) but the result is the same unfortunately. Here's my inspector profile , this is without SGSSAA and the default UDK settings:

[​IMG]

At the game's main menu the HBAO+ is working correctly in the background (no flashes when the camera is moving) but ingame & especially near light sources it's flashing constantly.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015