Nvidia being sued over GTX 970 specs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by 007.SirBond, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Nvidia out in Santa Carla CA is a huge Company with all sorts of connections.

Remember This: http://www.nvidia.com/object/legal_info.html

Every time you install a new driver you agree to give away the first born child to Nvidia for safe keeping ^^. First of all you need to explain why these legal docs you've signed don't count for nothing.

That will be hard enough to do since Nvidia puts it there for a reason, it's like the firewall and only the top legal people in the world could get past that stage.

I seriously doubt there's enough to make a case, Nvidia just replies with, well a mistake happened somewhere in the process and we have offered a full return on all the effected cards plus we have it in the Legal page of our website and drivers.

End of i think. I've done Jury duty so i can think as one now and i can't see "enough" to make a strong case.

Unless we know for a fact that Nvidia did it on purpose then there is nothing. I think it was just a cawk up but for how long did they know? The longer they knew the shi**ier it is.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This is not correct. Nvidia did do something wrong by giving out the wrong information to the public which is false advertising. Plus it is fraud.

3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No, it technically is correct. The misrepresentation was towards the reviewers, the actual product doesn't state the specs in question. They have screwed up but saying it's false advertising is questionable in a legal situation.
    For fraud you'd have to prove Nvidia purposely marketed the card with more ROPs and a greater L2 cache for financial gain, which will be hard to do considering the particular specs again aren't displayed outside of review sites for the general gamer.

That would be their best bet but even then we've seen proof that the cards do use up to 4GB. The only possible way of this working out in their favour is if they can prove the L2/ROPs are a deciding factor, which majority of gamer grade graphics card consumers don't even know anything about.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    By listing on the package that the graphics card has 4GB of GDDR5, NVidia's partners all lied. The card only has 3.5GB that operate within the performance specifications of GDDR5. The remaining 0.5GB operates below the performance specifications of GDDR5.

NVidia provided false specifications to the media, who advertised those false specifications within their review articles. NVidia acknowledged wrong-doing after the fact, but refused to even consider appropriate corrective action.

There's the class-action filing.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In the US, product reviews constitute legal advertisements when product manufacturers provide technical data to be used as part of the review. Therefore, every GTX970 review, can be used as evidence of false advertising.

Nope. Read the laws. There's no requirement to prove intent. All that has to be proven, is that NVidia provided inaccurate specifications and failed to correct the data in a reasonable amount of time. The specifications were provided to review sites in September. NVidia didn't formally acknowledge the incorrect specifications until January. That's roughly 4 months for NVidia to learn of and correct the false specifications.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    By US law it is not correct. as sykozis stated the reviews of the cards can be used to prove false advertising because reviews can be used as advertisements for the product or products.

Nope wrong again because gamers bought the cards based off of the reviewers and Nvidia's information which turned up to be wrong which is fraud and it has been proven.

Very well said man.

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Okay that makes for an interesting case then, we have different laws in that regard.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For those tracking this lawsuit....you're going to need a **** ton of popcorn...

10. irat

irat Guest

GPU:
    760GTX
    Nvidia should learn there lesson by losing there business and others will do there best for future products or else we will receive crappy hardware like this.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm not quite certain you're correct in calling a review an advertizement. The FTC couches their regulations regarding product claims under endorsement, and a review is not endorsing a particular product.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't think destroying Nvidia as a company is a rational outcome or proposal.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's why there's a lawsuit in the first place...

This sounds very likely, I could imagine this to be true.

Hmm, never thought about it that way, that the speed actually brings it out of GDDR5 specifications. This might prove to be the catch in this whole case.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    NVidia provides all technical data used in the reviews. That classifies it as an advertisement. A positive review, is a product endorsement.

No, "destroying" NVidia would be harmful to consumers....

15. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    I wish Nvidia would "Evolve" from their petty games! With their unconstitutional corporate lying, they deserve to get sued to hell and back!

16. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    You should think only this:
    yes, a lawsuit may and did take place and will go all the way to the finish line,
    however
    Nvidia (and Gigabyte) will win of this due to the only fact that it has 4GB of Vram regardless of it's practical usability. It really has what is advertised to has and that's it,at that point the court will end. Move on people, or stay and waste your time.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I don't think the VRam is the only issue here it is the other specs they provided that is wrong.

18. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    You're entirely correct, but it is also completely true that companies do not like getting sued especially when it comes to such matters. Bad impressions don't have budgets (well maybe they do: PR), and a few heads will inevitably (and hopefully) roll at NVIDIA over this. Corporations can't falsely advertise their products to later brush it off as miscommunication.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I agree Nvidia should be punished and I agree that customers shouldn't have to suffer due to Nvidia's miscommunication, but I do think it was a miscommunication. Nvidia's own tools report the correct specs, you would think if they were intentionally trying to deceive customers their own tools would have been reported false numbers. Not to mention that they were pretty up front about it after users started reporting issues. It's not like anyone could have taken a microscope and examined the chip.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Seagate was sued for falsifying storage capacity....and Seagate lost.

Currently there's a class-action suit pending against MS for falsifying storage capacity of the Surface and Surface Pro tablets. Doesn't really make sense though. MS wasn't the first to list the storage capacity incorrectly. Every PC, tablet and smartphone has the storage capacity falsified based on the claims made in the pending suit against MS. Every PC, tablet and smartphone lists the maximum storage capacity and not the storage capacity available to the user. My Asus laptop was advertised as having a 320GB harddrive yet it's available storage was only around 240GB. That's an 80GB discrepancy.