AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Mooby29

Mooby29 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X@1150/1500mhz
    With these 15.2 on W10 build 9926:
    - Still no VSR
    - EDID settings broken when using HDMI (huge mouse cursor, fixable with a modded monitor.inf)
    - There's a new framerate limiter in the CCC that doesn't work in the few games I've tested.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Where do you see the framerate limiter? I have 15.2 installed but I don't see it

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. Mooby29

Mooby29 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X@1150/1500mhz
  4. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I don't have that option and most probably because I'm running R9 280x. Anyway I don't need it doing it with MSI afterburner anyway and works with all my games

5. AmD6000

AmD6000 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    yeah.. cause omega driver came breaking games and now i'm stuck here on 14.11.2 Beta

6. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    So, is this framerate limiter promised some time ago?

7. Mooby29

Mooby29 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X@1150/1500mhz
    Yep and it doesn't work, right now (at least on W10).

8. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    What the hell.
    That framerate limiter should be an option to be in the games profiles, not in the energy option.
    We should be able to set on the profiles the framerate.
    Ho god AMD , pay attention to what you are doing

9. bigbeard86

bigbeard86 Guest

GPU:
    290 Crossfire 1220/1450
    it would be really nice if they released the drivers today. i have a backlog of games that i didn't play due to lack of crossfire profiles.

10. LocKeRoM14

LocKeRoM14 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan X
    Yea I'm in the same boat as u, amdmatt said that they are almost ready, but who knows when they will come could be a week or so. Would like to be able to use more than half my card but its coo.

11. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    you know amd they say in feb and then it's true but they drag out till the last days. Why AMD? Feels like we being punished.

12. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    if the get the software VSR working for all modes, i will forgive them.

lol

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Linux Ubuntu 14.04.2 (3.16) 64-bit

I recently upgraded my desktop computer's operating system to Linux Ubuntu 14.04.2 (3.16) 64-bit and would like to inform my fellow members of Guru3D that the driver itself works but run like a broken lawnmower with constant stutter and lag (compared to the open-source driver provided by default) in all natively run Linux games on Steam and the only reason to why I choose to keep this driver is because my GPU's fan would otherwise blow at +50% no matter if I had enabled V-Sync and despite of load while playing games or simply by fooling around with my desktop (Unity) however the provided GUI installation isn't all that complicated, but I don't understand to why AMD had to make it more inconvenient by creating four packages instead of one (ended up downloading the "linux x86_64" instead) my only wish is that someone from AMD will actually read this and take note (13.12, 14.4 and 14.9 ran somewhat more stable with earlier kernels).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  14. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

AMD has changed the way they provide Linux drivers as of lately, and it looks like they provide pre-compiled packages for Ubuntu. You could probably use em, but I'd probably just stick with the older deb generation .run file (the end-result is still 4-5 different packages though; but you will need to install em all anyway).

But in any case, I've heard quite a few times that you're better off with the open-source graphics driver on non-SI (all pre-GCN cards, especially the 6xxx series), and even with GCN 1.0 cards the open-source driver is pretty good.

If you want to try out the open-source driver; remove fglrx, and add and update from this PPA via:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    If you want to disable vsync with the open-source graphics driver, either add export vblank_mode=0 to $HOME/.profile, or just run games on the Terminal with vblank_mode=0. On-top of that, I'd also recommend disabling SwapBuffersWait and using Glamor:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gksu
    Code:
    gksu gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-graphics.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Radeon HD"
    	Driver		"radeon"
    	Option		"SwapBuffersWait"	"false"
    	Option		"AccelMethod"		"glamor"
    EndSection
    Save and restart afterwards.

If for whatever reason your setup doesn't like Glamor (it should be fine; I only had issues with it on super old 200M hardware), do this from a different tty (if Unity doesn't load; use Ctrl + Alt + F# (# other than either 6 or 7)) to remove the changes above:

Code:
    sudo rm /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-graphics.conf
    Or alternatively, just remove the AccelMethod line. Glamor is superior in most cases though nowadays (out-the-box, EXA is used).

Can provide some more commands and repos if you want to also play around with gallium-nine and Wine, want a decent VDPAU video player, overlay FPS and other stats in-game, etc.

On my setup currently, I run Xubuntu 14.10, and use Paulo Dias's experimental graphics PPA (for LLVM from git; more important for radeonsi users; doesn't matter afaik to non-GCN) and also run the latest daily mainline kernel.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Thank you for your kind suggestions.

I was playing around with enabled application controlled v-sync in Catalyst Control Center and Team Fortress 2 in order for me to cap the framerate with my monitor's refresh rate at 60hz simply to lower the noise level at +50% default fan speed profile to a more durable level when gaming with the open-source driver with v-sync enabled with no effect and when I disabled v-sync all together with the proprietary driver (which would be counterproductive) Team Fortress 2 wouldn't stutter and lag as much as before (which is preferred) but now with the added sound of a leaf blower rendering ~300 frames every second.

X.Org X Server 1.16.0 (open source) driver (v-sync disabled) caped at 300fps in Team Fortress 2 = not durable (leaf blower).
    X.Org X Server 1.16.0 (open source) driver (v-sync enabled) caped at 60fps in Team Fortress 2 = not durable (leaf blower).

AMD Catalyst 14.12 "Omega" WHQL "fglrx 14.501.1003" (proprietary) driver (v-sync disabled) caped at 300fps in Team Fortress 2 = not durable (leaf blower).
    AMD Catalyst 14.12 "Omega" WHQL "fglrx 14.501.1003" (proprietary) driver (v-sync enabled) caped at 60fps in Team Fortress 2 = durable (adds major stutter and mouse lag even with raw data enabled).

:tux:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

16. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Ok, I'm back after almost three months, and see no new drivers.. Wow, AMD, not even a single beta drivers or something? Sadly there is no real alternative to AMD or NVidia in GPU segment, but I would gladly switch if it was :-(

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  17. bigbeard86

bigbeard86 Guest

GPU:
    290 Crossfire 1220/1450
    This is disgusting; there is still no word of a new driver.

Why not just release proper working crossfire profiles?

How can AMD even attempt to improve their market share if its customers experience such a strong lack of support?

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The new drivers coming this week.

19. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Probably tomorrow. Tuesdays is when they release drivers normally. :p

20. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Right now I'm on a Dragon Age kick so can't imagine anything that could impact a game that old, but still, always look forward to new drivers. :)