NSA Tucks Away Backdoors in HDD firmware

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Kaspersky Labs exposed a breakthrough U.S. spying program, which taps into hard drives. According to Kaspersky, malicious software is hidden in the firmware, and launches every time a computer is tur...

NSA Tucks Away Backdoors in HDD firmware

2. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Well at least this explains the farting sounds comming from my HDD.

3. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Now we can all enjoy a little piece of american freedom!

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    OMFG, So why is this possible ? It goes on and on, anf no one actually does a thing against it.

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    i does not bother me i have fook all of interest to see, this whole spy stuff does not bother me in the least i have fook all to hide so why should i even be worried?

it always makes me wonder if those who are worried about it, are only worried because they up to no good?

way i see it (and its only how i look at it)

if your not up to anything bad not an issue

if you are using your PC for bad things then worry

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    It does not matter if you have nothing to hide or not.
    privacy is privacy, and its not up to someone else to decide different suddenly.

Surely you can understand this ?

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    like i say no i dont mind

privacy is privacy but not the right to commit crime or harm etc

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    This already is not allowed in terms of law isnt it ?

9. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    ok,

i have explained how i feel about it, im not saying your right or im wrong lol

no but really

im just saying how i feel about it not how you or any one else feels.

im simply not worried and i am one of the very few who probs agree the internet should be spied on

its been happening for god knows how long without you knowing so why worry now?

unless you have been or planing to get up to no good that is.

10. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3

Lol, what's sudden about it?

I don't think you could find a period of history where people haven't deluded themselves about their privacy being something they can control. Just that nowadays it doesn't involve having your thumbs screwed to a table whilst a nice Stasi, KGB, CIA, OSS, MI6, Mossad, Gastapo, Inquisitor, Witch Hunter asks you where you picked up that nice fresh loaf of bread.

I expect any sensible government to be doing it, I know I would (Not that I like it, just that I'm a realist and have way more important things to worry about)

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't have anything to hide in my house, but I wouldn't give the NSA, cops or anyone else a key so they can turn up and look around whenever they like

Same goes for my PC

12. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    they can have a key to my place, if they would do the house work everyday it would be a nice trade off lol

13. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Hi stevenicks,

I'm not writing this to get into an argument, merely to present another point of view. You see, many of us who live or used to live under "oppressive" regimes develop a healthy distrust of the state and sometimes the law, as the former rarely has your best interests at heart and the latter sometimes punishes things that are not morally wrong.

For instance, during the 90s, the government of my country was doing its best to ship a sh*tload of young men off to fight a meaningless and hateful war. Many of us did our best to avoid this "patriotic" duty of ours even though it was illegal to do so, simply because we didn't feel like killing or getting killed for the sake of someone's sick ambitions.

Another concrete example is during the communist era, it was illegal to tell political jokes (although during its last decade and a half this was not really enforced). So, basically, you tell a harmless joke about a prominent communist politician and you could be facing serious jail time.

Although you may say that your particular government is not the same (and I agree up to a point), they can and do come up with unjust laws and have their own agenda which may or may not correspond to yours even if you're not a raving madman criminal.

So, what I'm saying is, it's not too wise to trust your government implicitly and unreservedly, no matter how "democratic" the society you live in is because when they turn their gaze at you and decree something you do illegal, then you're well f*cked whether you actually did anything wrong or not. Police states never stay democratic. The more power the state has, the more autocratic it becomes. So if you wish to retain your democracy, constantly question the actions of those who would rule you.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Here in the U.S we have laws that protect our privacy. What the NSA is doing is invasion of privacy which is against the law in the US. The only way that they could get around the privacy laws is by going through the legal system and if they suspect any suspicious activity they need to gather enough evidence to get a search warrant which allows them to view any private information other wise they shouldn't be allowed to do it. You may have no problem with it is because you do not live in the U.S and so it does not affect you.

15. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea i understand that,

like you say i do question what my government does, we all know they are just a bunch of spin doctors.

although i still dont mind what the NSA does with the internet

not like they have not been doing it from probs day 1 anyway

and the internet has changed from back in the day and is still changing.
    (this is my feelings about it only) it needs to be governed by some sort of control even more so these days.

16. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    [​IMG]

17. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    lol ermmm.. who's the sheep here ? lol

how can i even be a sheep when the real flock do care what the NSA does ?? lol

so with your terms it make you the sheep

nice picture btw :)

18. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's quite obvious.

Understand this, government wants control not because they want to protect you. They want control to protect themselves. They do not have your best interest at heart. They want you to work and pay taxes till you die. That's it.

To the best of my knowledge there are over 40,000 statutes that "govern" you. There are more added every day. Who knows what they'll make illegal next and all this snooping will be used AGAINST you but it's to protect FREEDOM right?

19. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea i understand all of that but still dont give a flying F~~K what they do with the internet

this thread is about NSA and internet and thats all it is to me.

20. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090

This. Really. This is the deal not what stevevnicks's way of thinking is on the subject. Sorry dude!