Micron and Seagate Announce Strategic Alliance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ooh, dangerous combo alright. Micron and Seagate today announced a strategic agreement that establishes a framework for combining the innovation and expertise of both companies. ...

Micron and Seagate Announce Strategic Alliance

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    "tech marriage"
    Micron has the NAND know how Seagate has the old school know how and the money.
    Bliss.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Very smart for seagate while the hdd may be here for a while yet it will die eventually

4. leefuji

leefuji Member

GPU:
    GTS 450
    Gate of the Sea caught the big fish finally :banana:

5. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Awesome I can see this turning out fantastically for Seagate, I wonder if they will stop making their SSHD's.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why would they? The drives work very well for the small amount of onboard NAND they have. I recently put one in my laptop and the performance is phenomenal for the cost. Hopefully, with this new partnership, they'll improve their SSHD line by increasing the NAND quantity from 8GB. Seeing as this partnership is targeting the Enterprise market and Seagate's SSHD targets the consumer market, I don't expect there to be any change.

7. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    I did not know anyone who would use one, people seemed like they would rather just jump straight into an SSD from a HDD even for their laptops.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    nice 8gb nand is to low for there sshdd. the only hybrid that looks good to me is the WB Black Dual Drive, which is technically a 128gb sdd and 1tb hdd.

Though i not sure if that is the same as sshdd??

64gb nand cache i think should be the bare min

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Depends on the capacity needs, form-factor and budget. If you need large capacity for a laptop (500GB+) an SSD makes little sense when you consider the cost. An SSHD can improve boot time dramatically depending on how many programs/services load on startup. Program load time will improve as well if you were unlucky enough to get one of the many laptops that come with HGST drives that are extremely slow.

8GB NAND is fine for improving boot times. Depending on usage patterns and software, it's even acceptable for improving load times of the most commonly used software.

WD's implementation would be considered an SSHD. It's just a different approach from what Seagate used.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I guess that depends i used there SSHDD and i see no noticeable speed difference, other then in boot times, and honestly who cares about boot times?

granted 45 sec boot on hdd or 1 minute + boot time on laptop hdd will drop by more then half. I just think the NAND it has should be atlest 2x that recommended amount system ram. ( so atlest your most used os files and game is cached) but that is me.

I should of bought the WD black dual 1tb with 128g sdd when i saw it on sale at new egg for 99$ last month infact i should bought few, 1 for my storage drive 1 for my ps3/ps4.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Seagate's SSHD isn't targeted at enthusiasts. It's targeted at the average user who has a web browser as their most commonly used application.

For me, I went from 5 minute boot time (initially, it was up to almost 15 minutes by the time I replaced the failing HGST drive), to about 30 seconds. IE, my most commonly used app, loads almost instantly. This is on my work laptop with a 1.5ghz IB Celeron 1007U running Windows8 with 4GB of ram.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    only laptops this stuff is great do to most hdd in laptops are 5400 rpm anything is better then 5400rpm hdd :)