Nvidia Inspector profile export question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Anarion, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Does anyone know if the profile export/import function replaces only the user modified values? It makes me wonder if it would be better start always from scratch in case Nvidia updated something in the profile like AA compatibility flag.

So, lets assume that I'd change, say, AF to 16x. Would the import function only change AF to 16x and let everything else alone?

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The import/export function allows you add remove profiles for individual games. You can edit the xml file for specifics but i dont see the point tbh for AF 16 as there is no need. Custom Vsync yes and a few other things but most of the time you dont need too. Pick agame, apply your settings and export when you update the driver to a new one. Then once installed import your profiles. I have profiles going back many many years.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    As far as I know, NVIDIA Inspector's profile export/import feature only saves the changes you make to existing profiles and any new ones you create yourself. That is for its own custom .NIP format only.

I use this feature to backup my customised profile settings before installing a new driver as even with the Custom Non-Clean driver install option it will overwrite things like custom SLI, HBAO+ and AA flags, at least in my experience. Inspector allows me to preserve all my settings even if they are a bit messed up (i.e. if I've created a profile first before NVIDIA released one then I end up with duplicate profiles, mine has the correct executable but no custom flags or settings and the NVIDIA one has the flags and settings but not the correct executable!!!). It's about time NVIDIA revamped their messy profile system to make it easier to edit them and avoid this profile duplication bug.

4. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    You missed his question. He's asking if Inspector saves only the changed values of a profile, or the whole profile.

And the answer is...

No it saves the whole profile. I think this would be a great feature to add, as I've noticed updated profiles (or official ones, if you've made your own first) can contain not just changes to known flags, but also include a range of flags in the 'Undefined' section which you can't (to my knowledge) copy between profiles.

I seem to remember at least one case (getting old, so who knows!), I had some time ago with an issue with a game's visuals that was resolved when moving to the official profile, despite inputting all the same values for known flags. The difference was the inclusion of some eight undefined flags that my custom profile (made before the official one) was lacking.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Was I that unclear? :nerd:

Thanks. Using the export function is a mixed bad thing then. Since the settings XML file isn't really human readable when it comes to setting and value names (other than profile and exe name) so It's a bit hard to see what settings it did export. But judging by the amount of stuff it exports, it does indeed export the whole profile.

It would indeed have been great if it would export only the used changed settings to avoid those problems. It would be annoying if games would break when I import old profile that includes stuff that doesn't work properly in new driver. It's somewhat dangerous if it also exports those undefined settings and things may break thanks to that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Exporting in Nvidia Txt/xml format saves ALL profiles in the driver and WILL override everything in the driver.

Exporting in .NIP exports the entire profile for selected games AFIK

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I did some testing. It actually does export only the edited settings and not the whole profile. BUT.... It will also export the undefined settings which is definitely something that I want to avoid. Inspector thinks that those are user changed settings.

Base profile (I changed only one setting)
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <ArrayOfProfile>
      <Profile>
        <ProfileName>Base Profile</ProfileName>
        <Executeables />
        <Settings>
    [B]      <ProfileSetting>
            <SettingID>537586684</SettingID> <-- Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration
            <SettingValue>0</SettingValue>[/B] [B][B]<-- Single display performance mode[/B]
          </ProfileSetting>
    [/B][I]      <ProfileSetting>
            <SettingID>2150644249</SettingID>
            <SettingValue>1</SettingValue>
          </ProfileSetting>
          <ProfileSetting>
            <SettingID>2156231208</SettingID>
          </ProfileSetting>
          <ProfileSetting>
            <SettingID>2157797216</SettingID>
          </ProfileSetting>[/I]
        </Settings>
      </Profile>
    </ArrayOfProfile>

Those three other settings are undefined settings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Inspector saves everything and anything that you change. Profiles are imported/exported exactly how you had them before. I always save to NIP file, dont bother with text. Although ive had to import a specific text file and then merge it with the nip profile to get the game to work and be added to all of my other profiles. That game was Cliffs of Dover (Team Fusion Mod) although you should not need to do this as its rare.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Umm... It exports (.nip XML format) the changes you made to profiles. It also export some undefined crap which is something that I did not touch but it thinks that user modified those settings. I do not want those undefined settings because when I import them after installing a new driver they can potentially cause issues.

It would be extremely handy if it would be possible to iqnore those. It would be possible to fix it manually but that would be rather painful. If I would know what ids are safe I would make a tool that deletes all those undefined settings from the XML.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    report this to the creator maybe and and fix this in next update, I with you on that the undfinded settings should not be saved as there general not edited by the user. and would think if change driver to driver would not want them saved by the profiles.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Those undefined settings are not user set, thus Nvidia must have put them there.

I would leave it alone

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Exactly which is what I thought was common knowledge, I guess using something for so long you take it for granted. I still prefer nhancer to inspector even though does the same thing.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Exactly and that why I don't want to export them nor replace them with old versions if NVIDIA changed them for some reason. At the moment I would need to manually go through all exported profiles and remove them because Inspector thinks that those are user changed settings.

I don't know how though.

---
    CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml does contain all the setting names that matter (known settings) so in would be possible to make a tool that removes undefined settings from the .nip. It would be rather simple thing to do.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Did you not read the part where he said Inspector is saving those settings and importing them on and overriding what was changed in new drivers with older settings?

Any way think this is the guys web site http://orbmu2k.de/

Other then that i got no clue how to get hold of the creator

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's a weird thing when some are apparently replying to different thread... :nerd:

Well, I did solve this with my fancy Nip Cleaner.
    [​IMG]
    It automatically removes all settings that are not listed in CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml. That will remove all the undefined settings.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well, I hope that has good results for you. Would you mind posting back after you re-imported the profiles to see if the undefined data is there by default after reimporting?

Because now you have me paranoid lol

Does "CustomSettingNames_en-EN" Contain definitions for it to look for in the .nip(xml) file so it can remove things that aren't in those defined sections?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If you restore everything to default there may be some profile specific undefined data. That's just fine and it will stay there when I import the cleaned version. This way though I can be sure that I don't replace new data with old data or add old entries that NVIDIA may have removed in new drivers.

The logic goes like this: If the SettingID in .nip isn't in CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml (HexSettingID), delete that ProfileSetting element. Nip uses dec and CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml hex for setting id but they are obviously the same thing (just need to convert that hex to dec first).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    nip cleaner eh?

Still would report it to orbmuk if you can fiqure out how

I use to just import the nip file i made now i just gona do indviual profiles or just do it from scratch seeing i only really edit 2 game profiles lmao

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The only option that I can think of would be to post a comment there but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't make any difference. That place looks pretty dead. This works for me.

I did notice another thing. It also exports SLI compatibility bits even if the user did not edit them. If you do not have SLI compatibility bits in your nip, it will basically delete the profile's default SLI compatibility bits and revert to 0x00000000. So those who are using really old exported profiles may want to at least reset the SLI compatibility bits after exporting the profile... Because that is something that may change.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wouldnt mind share the nip cleaner with us all would you? Either way it nice find that nip saves actual save the undefined entry too, i never knew that.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015