GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Edit- Lucked out mine using hynix ram and there's only one for that. But what a pain in the rear to flash these things

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    For all you wonderful MSI 970 Gaming people :D

This is an updated BIOS for the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G.

Release notes: none, no noticeable changes in Maxwell Bios Tweaker so it could have changes/fixes else where.

Note: like all BIOS/firmware updates, if you're not having any problems you probably dont need it. If you're curious, adventurous, or just want the latest BIOS all the time then flash at your own risk :thumbup:
    Note 2: This is for MSI GTX 970 Gaming and works with both Hynix and Samsung ram, though if you have a different model here is the version changes:

Gaming: 182 -> 184 -> 185 -> 186

4GD5T/Armor: 191 -> 192 -> 193 -> 194

Golden: 1F2 -> 1F3

[​IMG]

Source: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=252727.msg1452642#msg1452642

If you have any questions or concerns contact MSI: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=107326.0

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1bq8d2m8vtqtdxi/NV316MH.186.zip (ROM ONLY)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2hu1pxsk930cr8c/NV316MH186_NVflash.zip (ROM + NVFLASH)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. akula

akula Guest

GPU:
    2x Geforce 580 GTX 1.5GB
    can anyone provide any feedback as to if an upgrade from 2x GTX 580's to a 970 is worth it or should I go for the 980?

thanks

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    980 makes sense if you want to spend £200 extra for a touch more performance. Otherwise no.

5. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    lol yeah took me awhile to find what mine was. I just open display then hit the Advanced settings and looked to see what my bios was and even that was not much help yet I forgot how I got the right one. Oh I used gpu-z I think. Saw after I downloaded the new bios had two. One with DD at the end and DP. Mine show'd a P at the end so I used the DP.

Wow I am such a TECH huh.. haha

So what changed? Didnt really look into it. It really comes down to like BIOS on your motherboard. If you dont have any problems you shoudnt really update it unless they tell you ..you should.

6. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    in my searching I find most say go with 970. Now I dont have problems at all with my Gigabyte 970. Oh it may studder here and there in game or not use OMG 100% all the time with the gpu :)..just playing..

Now if what you read as of late in forms about the 970 kind of bothers you and your not sure. Go with a 980 if you can offered it. Just make sure what ever you buy you can return if. Like if you buy from Newegg or Amazon and what you bought has problems if your still under the 30days you get all your money back. With newegg if my product has problems I always call they always give me a label to send the product back and I get all my money. Amazon is easier since I have prime. If no problems they might charge 10-15% restocking and thats fair.. I have no problems with that.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  7. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    well it finally arrived today after a bit of a delay due to the snow storm here earlier this week. :-D

havent tried much of anything out yet or messed with OCing it more.. just ran a quick benchmark:

Fire Strike:

EVGA GTX 460 SC (344.75) >>> 3053

EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ (347.25) >>> 10456

such a nice upgrade haha!

*edit*

EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ (347.25) @ +140/+500 >> 11509

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Yeah, regardless of the 4GB fuzz the 970 performs pretty well, also like your choice of card.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Is this good?

970 SLI overclocks -

+25mv core

+200 core

+500 memory

+110 power limit 91C max temp (set to prioritize temps)

custom fan profile (pretty aggressive)

1542MHz core

4001MHz memory (8002MHz effective)

Played 2 hours BF4 64 player map frame rate uncapped (Gametime.MaxvariableFPS 0) 1080p Ultra 4xMSAA 150% res slider

Never seen fps go below 80fps avg 110fps max 152fps

temps are

GPU1 min 29c max 73c

GPU 2 min 25c max 60c

Obviously needs more testing, will put it through a few runs of Asus Realbench, and 3D Mark Firestrike as well.

Could this be tweaked at all, is the voltage safe? Ive seen people go as high as +87mv on core!!! I would never go that high!

Also why can't I monitor VRM temps in GPU-Z? The list does not contain VRM temps at all?

Cheers.

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    +87mV is relatively safe, some prefer going all out while others like to keep it at lower temps like me lol.. anyway theres usually a stepping in voltage and not really on par with the setting. The voltages I've seen on load are:
    1.20V
    1.225V
    1.25V

And theres some occasion where the card will step up a boost if the card requires, example setting the card on stock +0mW and the card automatically boosts to 1.225V when trying to get higher core with no adjustments. As far as voltages go +87mW is safe and should be covered under warranty, any higher such as volt mod and such may void. Not sure on how lenient MSI is with bios mods but they're pretty good with removing the cooler as long as you don't damage the actual card/PCB.

1542MHz is pretty good for SLI.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Cheers mate.

Yea I thought this was a good overclock especially since its two cards.

The top card I have seen easily go 15C higher than the bottom card in some games. Fans are linked in MSI AB so its the same aggressive profile on both.

I have ordered some 99.9% isopropyl as I have run out (lasted me like 4 years lol) and apply some IC Diamond see if that helps with temps a little.

But they are still very good temps already, just wanna see if I can get that little bit extra.

Going to test it out and run some benchies and put it through its paces.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    my card is crazy in its head
    [​IMG]

I did not touch the boost tables but just the power tables had it 20 minutes or so not sure if I hit the 3.5 g thing
    I have to hard mod the power and lock down the boost was running 18,3k+ out of the box but like a lot of lock ups killed my cpu scores
    ahhhh screw it I will play with it more later

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    a few minutes in a bios worked it out a little better then the custom one I found online
    heres mine 1.27v real volts 127% power no need for voltage slider at all
    http://www.filedropper.com/evgassc127v127powerlimit_1

1550 ish scock cooler but it was loud
    was going faster cooler and more quiet when I put a artic cooling xtreme III on it
    1580 -1600 was ok depending on what bench
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

not trying to be funny but the rams really fly 1950 -2000 np

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    @cowie
    That are quite some impressive results you got there.
    Your card has 2 PCI-E 6 pin power plugs?
    What is the cards power draw with that OC?

15. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Cheers for this. I can no longer login to my MSI forum account, it keeps coming up with all sorts of create new account crap when I try to login, and then I cant login as my email address is already registered.

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    has to be close to 290+ since the bios is set for around 280w and I get throttle.
    I have not used my watt-o-meter on it I will look for it.
    yes it does have two 6 pins

I have a snow/salt route to do then I will maybe test it more later but I have no games on this rig:wanker:

you guys are getting some damn good clocks too :banana: woo hoo it a party yo

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    that's a good score for your chip I cheat with the 5690x and those two benches .
    been trying a few bios I made but I will stick with the 1 I posted for now.
    not sure on the power limit mod point so I did not screw with it

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My card seems to like 1551mhz for a max boost clock on stock volts. When I get time, I'll see if increasing the voltage does anything to help go higher. Not even sure wtf I'm running the memory at....lol

20. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Reading the thread, I see that some owners are disappointed because review samples had Samsung memory and their card uses Hynix. When reporting memory clocks, can the memory type also be reported so we can see actual difference when clocking the memory.
    Thanks!!!