Return rates less than 5% after GeForce GTX 970 VRAM Exposure

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2015.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    *sigh* I wonder if this will ever be over, it's like it's all about the 970, what it does, what it doesn't, what it could, and what's faster or not than it. I wonder if the AMD favouring people really want to talk about the nvidia card so much...

I don't know, seriously... it's like everything I read during the last weeks is about the 970, leaked benchmarks and specs, and a bit about that millenium falcon drone that can't stay airborne for longer than 5 minutes, no matter how cool it looks at nighttime :D

Just to mention it, if rumors hold true, mantle will soon be obsolete. The performance favor in this segment might shift again. Just sayin'.

I wonder, why don't they sell those screens with more than 60Hz? I think most of those panels will do at least 80, maybe even 100Hz, and that certainly would justify a higher price.

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    If I had 970's I'd not be returning anything....

I think people are going overboard. My opinion. Oh no.....500mb of slower Vram...ahhhhhh!!!!........

3. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    yeah im keeping mine,i only game at 1080p anyway

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Actually I think he meant this:
    - 970 is out of question as you would return it
    - compare 2x 290s with price of 400 pounds to any single nVidia card at same price

Otherwise ho got it confused with 290x. Performance/price wise 290x is now at same level as 970 here and does not put people into future risk.

Btw, does some owner of GTX 970 has power draw measurement unit like:
    [​IMG]
    I would like to see power draw difference between gaming and compute.
    There will be CPU in play during gaming, maybe some CPU light game like AvP 2010 may put it in check.

5. Grafdelwer

Grafdelwer Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 OC
    Still rocking at 1080p, so I will keep my 970. I will though, when I buy my next NV card, wait a little for everyone to do extensive VRAM stress tests and be sure what I get. ;)

6. Alpha Gammer

Alpha Gammer Guest

GPU:
    Galax 970 gtx Ex Oc
    well going from a 780gtx with 3 gb of vram to a 970gtx with the supposed 3.5 gb which is heaps for bf4 and other games ...heh bf4 on my settings max mem usage around 1.8 gb...getn 80-140 fps 100 ave, desent matter me at all...its efficicent...its fast...heh ive even had a 660ti with sim mem deficiencies, but really what does it matter when now I have double perf on a single card with no sli scutter bug issues etc... they could or should give u a 1/8 cash back for being miss leading at first, heh don't know what went on there some kind of communication error, on correct spec's...but hey card is fast enuff and price is ok...

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Well mines going back two cards in a row crappy coil whine my FTW does it when using MPC-HC + madVr, apparently it goes away after time my ass. EVGA has offered me a stepup to a 980 or refund. So gonna take the 980 option. Personally I find overall build quality poor with the card, however it performs very well my only worry will be is how it hold up with The Witcher 3.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I don't even know if my store would even offer a refund (I doubt it) but so far the cards have served me so well that I have nothing to complain about, other than the obvious lying by omission done by nvidia. At 1440p 60FPS vsynced I did ass the 3.6 mark with 4-8x MSAA in some games and haven't noticed anything. I'm not saying I won't run into this eventually, but chances are that by that time I'll upgrade anyway.

To return and buy a 290x/980 at this point would be a waste of money, since both (especially the 980) are overpriced and obsolete by summer. At least the 970 was a great bang for its buck when I bought mine.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes you're right, but what is that..3% or something.? Translated to.idk...1-2fps in game?..lol Come on man..:D

They're both good..:)

10. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    I remembered a discussion, that I had with a friend years ago(5-6 of them :D ), when I was starting to get interested in computers, about something similar - I don't think, that anyone has returned an HDD, because it didn't have exactly X amount of free space which was advertised. Yes, the total space is(or might be) the advertised one, but the free one, which the user could use, is not.

P.S. I think the same thing is also true for SSDs(can't check the home machine at the moment), but is it the same for RAM?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

11. ForMol

ForMol Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabite GTX 980ti Xtreme
    +1 to that!

12. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I bought my GTX 970 based on it's real world performance and as such it was the best bang for buck card at the time (this was before the 290(x) price drops). It's still a great card regardless of how many ROPs it's got.

Lets reverse the situation, would you have bought the card if it did actually had 64 ROPs but performed about the same as an R9 280x? I think not.

I've never based a purchase on a gfx card on how many ROPs it's got, it's FPS that matters and you bought the exact same card that all the reviews you read when you were looking for a new card were using.

Needless to say I'm not jumping on this bandwagon and I'll be keeping mine.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I did say they're both good. Multiple times on this forum. If I was buying a gpu now, it weighs be between those two.

I just called him out on what he said. That the 290 is the faster card. Which is not true. Good card? Sure. Faster? No.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    On SSD's some of the NAND is reserved for TRIM/failover purposes.
    Some SSD's allow overprovisioning via software, I wouldn't advice anyone to make use of that though.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well I love my 970 and couldn't imagine returning it.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Quote by tigermoth
    Nvidea allways die after a few years they allways do,
    Ive owned over 12 cards and everyone of them has died.
    fake driver performance increases to try and sell more of there fake advertised product.
    Not once have I seen a performance increase on any nvidea card ive owned in the past from a driver update when the game is already running @ 100%,
    Its fake bs.

don't trust them

^^^^
    Good riddance.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Biggest problem I see for Nvidia is not the return rates but the lost potential sales for those in the market for a new GPU. Prices are falling for the 290/290x making them hard to resist. If I didnt have mine, I may have gone for a 290x MSI Lightning when it was at around $330 recently. Of course didnt last long, quickly sold out. Not that the 970 has let me down in any way, just saying.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You can find 290x's used for sub $300. I've been debating selling my 980 and buying two of them but I figure the next cards are right around the corner and I'm really tired/over SLI/Xfire.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Still, this is an MSI Lightning which I would pay a slight premium for over other 290x.