Return rates less than 5% after GeForce GTX 970 VRAM Exposure

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Nah...

"Most retailers are not accepting returns or refunding. Especially some small shops. Most of them are not informed by Nvidia or any other manufacturer about a return policy because of the vram fiasco or any upgrade/return program. Nvidia gonna lose sales to AMD really soon."

They were asking from retailers who _did_ accept returns. Fact is that users who have been enjoying the best bang for buck card of their life don't really care. I was thinking about returning to just get a new card with my friend but for what? Maybe to upgrade the cooler on the card by getting different 970 model. Not worth the effort. I think many others who actually do own the card think the same.

2. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    There is no official channel let alone any acknowledgement by Nvidia that people can return their cards. Furthermore, a lot of retailers are denying the refunds.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And it seems to be a bigger issue for those that don't own the cards, than it is for those that actually do own them.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    If I was buying a gpu based on a spec sheet, I would have kept my 7950 cfx. A single 7950 has less rops, lower floating point performance and lower pixel rate than a 970, true, but has:

• more shader units
    • wider memory bus
    • more texture units
    • more memory bandwith

Based on spec alone, the 7950 should only be marginally slower than the 970. the fact is they're not even playing in the same league. You people can't just look at numbers. Look at performance charts, then at the numbers. Spec sheets can give a hint on how the card will perform at higher resolutions etc, you will assume a certain performance drop off with a 256bit card, sure, compared to a 384bit card etc, given the rest of the spec is similar and it's the same architecture.

But just purely looking at numbers is stupid.

EDIT: Those who claim they bought the 970 based on the spec sheet... I'm sorry, you don't have the foggiest about how PC HW works. So I'll gladly disregard everything you say.

5. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    I recommended 3 separate people who have 1440p monitors to buy the cards. My reputation as someone who helps others build their rigs is put on the line when Nvidia falsely advertises its specs.

I have a big stake in it without even owning it.
    Choosing a VRAM framebuffer based upon specs is ALL one can do. Its the same reason why people buy 3 Gig 580s, or 8 gig 290s- You know how games currently fill VRAM, but for future games, you are not sure. Hitting a VRAM wall when you have enough shading power is the worst: the game bemoes unplayable. Hence why you speculatively by into your cards future scaling buy getting the most VRAM you can.

In the 970s case that is directly affected when .5 gigs of it is poor performing and you game at a higher resolution.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It doesn't matter. You should by law get what is advertised. I still love my NVidia but facts are facts.
    For example, if I want to get a microwave made in the USA but instead get a perfectly, equally, good microwave made in China I should be able to return it.

Or if I want a car with a certain powerful engine, but the weight and aerodynamics of the car prevent it from fully taking advantage of that engine. So instead they put in a lower power engine that would perform the same, I should be able to return it.

Is also seems like most people defending the card also own it. Buyers remorse maybe? :pipe:

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Happy customers, more like. Nothing beats a 970 in it's price bracket.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not sure if you can see my sig or not so I'll leave a link below.....but I have no reason to have "buyer's remorse"....

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=69411
    scroll down to the chart of "Top 20 Producers"
    BTW, that page is the stats for our Folding@Home team.
    So, seeing as how my 7950 averaged 90-115k PPD, and my 970 is averaging 125-165k PPD.....why would I have buyer's remorse? Folding@Home is 90% or more of my usage. I only game 3-4 hours a week, on average.

9. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    It's all about reputation and damage control.
    Just ask Brian Williams.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What Brian Williams did was inexcusable. There's no reason he should still have a job at this point.

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I was joking. I would get a 970 if I could. But that doesn't excuse anything. My examples are still valid. I would take the microwave from China and the car with the slower engine. But you have to be honest about what you are selling.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I agree with that. I've said my piece in regards to NVidia lying about the specs. I just don't feel the need to post it in every thread regarding graphics cards. It happened. There's nothing anyone can do about it now. It's time to just move on and see what comes down the pipes next.

13. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Those who sold their 970' also count? XD

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    One of the most reasonable posts on this subject I've read here since the whole 970 VRAM thing started, I'm somewhat startled. I never looked at it like you described it with the words I underlined, and for the first time I get why people seriously could get upset with all of this.

15. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Oh, this ^ full on... full on.

16. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    I thought about it but the cards have been flawless for me at 1600p and they oc like hell. The whole specs thing is a little messed up tho, can't argue with that.

17. Freeleacher

Freeleacher Guest

GPU:
    I would jump onto a 290 and get better performance with a extra 50 pounds in my pocket.
    Silly if they don't.
    Let them stay loyal and next time they get screwed they cant complain.

Oh and before anyone says that's wrong you better check again.

[​IMG]

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    since when is the 290 faster than the 970?

19. Freeleacher

Freeleacher Guest

GPU:
    Because it just is.

Its only tesilation nvidea have amd on.
    You pick a benchmark that don't use nvidea tech and we can start talking numbers.

The 970 is no good for hi res displays,
    Lot of cherry picking goes on with benchmark results for those who are payed by nvidea to promote there products.
    Only way is to test things yourself like I did.
    My results the 970 is slightly faster with games that use tesilaiton, You turn if off amd overtakes.
    Hi res displays the 970 isn't much use, There are times 4 gig isnt enough
    And this power usage is also a lie.
    If you can control the temps of the amd the power usage difference is less than 10%
    As I said before payed to promote there product.

20. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    lol, this crap still going on ?