AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    since I have my amd card from 2012 (first drivers that I install was 12.4 as I remember) i don't remember if i wait so long for new drivers. I mean thoes are from 20 november 2014 it's almost 3 months and nothing. AMD is sleeping or what? I hope that the new drivers will bring a long list of changelog and fixes + new features for older cards.
    Not like before that we wait and at the end we get like 5-6 fixes and 10-15 issues in changelog :p

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wonder if the Omegas will go the same way then, as more of those are supposedly coming :p

3. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Actually, Omegas are the last and they are form December, but yeah.

Then again, they don;t really like to release drivers:

4. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    Omega were posted on November 20th, and we knew about them from a press demo leak a week before they got posted on Guru, so yea, coming close to 3 months.

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Well if you look at it that way, HD3xx is out now and there are new drivers and blah blah. Things get confusing when you mix the official release dates with leaked stuff and early access stuff. ;) I was talking about official dates, an d I am agreeing that it has been too long, unfair towards many customers and I am saying that AMD is slacking with drivers and that they have excuse for it which I personaly think is pure BS on their side so they can slack whenever they want and focus on something else.

So we are not in any disagreement here really, no point in beating the dead horse.;)

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    AMD's drivers have never really bothered me tbh, at least nowhere near as much as the spin/hyperbole/more spin from their Marketing/PR dept.

However there is one point of contention I'm fed up with - the friggen S3 bug.
    It's been present for idk a year? longer? 2yrs ? affecting both system standby and monitor standby at a various times, all well known and often discussed issues since it disappears in one driver then reappears in the next, you cannot avoid reading about it.

Google results for "AMD sleep bug" are well over 9000.....

Yet after all this time it's still not fixed and what annoys me more is AMD have never acknowledged it, not once afaik.
    I'd be happy just to know what the cause is.

Just to compound the problem further I now have to reinstall the monitor driver every time my computer comes out of system initiated standby mode.

Pretty piss poor imho.

/rant. Thanks for you time. :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Actually, for once, you are wrong :p
    From Omega release notes:

There, they acknowledged it and fixed it. Funny things, it is actually not fixed. It happens less often now, but it still happens. YouTube videos (with flash enabled) are crashing like crazy in FireFox and Palemoon but in Palemoon I don't get random graphics corruption while browsing.

All in all, AMD highly values it's customers :banana:

/rant

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    hehe..OK I admit you got me there...:p

I guess that does makes my AMD rant invalid, so I therefore unreservedly apologize and retract everything I said.

It shall never be spoken of again.:D :D

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    it's not invalid since it is not really fixed... :/ They do recognize the problem, that was the only thing you got "wrong" so to speak. Anyway, it was just a playful post on my side, nothing else :)

Cheers!

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I know, I was being factitious.... :)hence the :D :D

Tbh I'm not even sure that's the same bug. The release notes describe it as display not waking, which has happened in the past but isn't what I mean.

I'm talking about when the whole system resumes from S3 state, not just the display.

Either way, why has this been an ongoing break/fix issue for 2yrs. I'd be interested to know what the debugging results look like.

11. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Duh. Obviously ready 11/20/2014 so they could send them off to Micro$oft to get whql stamp. Takes a few weeks. So your point is?

Project Mjölnir? Was 2011, initial release with 11.4 and further improvements in the following drivers after 11.4. So done and dusted.

And HD 6xxx already abandoned? Says who? You? Show me a link to AMD that says they are done with 6000 series please. In fact, show me a link that they have written off 5000 series? Maybe they don't put much effort into those cards and certainly it is coming fast to 'end of support' for them, but atm they are still looking after them with driver updates (case in point 14.12 Omega still has 5000 and 6000 support).

BTW
    Where is it? Or your AMD mate release it just to you?

12. N0bodyOfTheGoat

N0bodyOfTheGoat Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    Had another case of display would not wake up after being away from my pc for a while...

Came back, moved my mouse, the monitor status light went from orange to green but screen stayed black.

Instead of rebooting, I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, pulled out the DVI plug from my graphics card and then plugged it back in again... It lives, screen active again!

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you manually enter standby mode from start menu does it wake up normally?

14. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Do you have a newer MB than in your profile?
    Have you installed the MEI drivers. Use the Manufacturer ones as the info on the internet is all bs. i.e. you need to not flash a dodgy bios for it and use the matching drivers (win-raid.com is totally wrong, if you look at the procedure for making these bios in the intel pdf's there are dozens of complicated options, if you keep the MB manufacturer version and install the latest drivers, things like the SMBus can fail, need the matching install made by the MB manufacturer)

Same with Intel Rapid Storage... Microsoft default AHCI would be best if you don't use raid as RST is buggy.

Also, the PSU needs to support sleep... if you have lights on the MB if they "flicker" in sleep mode then the PSU does not support sleep properly or it is dying. <-- this one, sorry I should not have typed all the other stuff, might help someone. Anyway, quickest way to check is to swap the PSU... don't get a huge watt PSU, its just hype.. small ones are more efficient and sleep with less effort, most PC's use 100W and the GPU might use another 100 or so.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you high or maybe wearing a tin foil hat by chance? None of your claims have any real merit tbh....... including derogatory comments regarding win-raid.

Latest RST has bugs, but doesn't mean they all do.

Also how would the mobo BIOS affect display detection. That's between the GPU and OS.

PSU doesn't need to support sleep, it needs to support C7 which is an ultra low power sate on Haswell, some PSU's cannot drop that low.

Mostly it was Corsair iirc and only C7 is affected anyway......I had the same issue with C6 on or off.

Originally I thought my S3 bug was due to memory self refreshing on resume but it turned out to be GPU drivers. The drivers are responsible for waking the GPU not the board afaik.

Win-raid is a damned good site btw, Fernando goes back years. I know at least 2 people from here who have accounts over there...

16. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Search for "FW Bring Up Guide" or "System Tools User Guide" for your MEI or any of them, good luck.

He says any newer driver will work, and they don't for me. I tested it out and nothing works properly with my z68 bus except what asus provided, I then read the intel documents, dozens of them, and can see why... there is no one bios and driver set for each MB there are heaps and heaps of options.

It is probably because my bios supports sandy and ivy.

The drivers on his site are designed for specific Intel Mainboards so if it is a direct copy then I suppose it could look like it works. +If you install the bios then the Manufacturer will change in MEI, frequencies and a whole bunch of stuff. Which is what some people want I suppose.

Also PSU not running properly in sleep and providing wakeup power too slow or in the wrong order or at the wrong time is probably his problem. If his GPU is overclcoked he could remove the OC and see if the problem happens less... but it is just quicker to swap. Just a suggestion as that was my problem.. sleep never worked properly for me, I swapped the PSU (with my crappy 380W) and it was gold, lol. My system is silent without it, so I want to get rid of it again, but, oh well.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Dude wtf are u talking about, and who is MEI? WinRaid has drivers, firmware, Oproms and bios modules for a multitude of Intel and AMD boards and associated hardware.

I don't where these ideas of yours are coming from but they're wild for sure....... this is ongoing for 2yrs and is not platform specific, it's GPU related and the drivers are to blame.

I have the almost identical same situation as the guy you're trying to convince has wrong bios/SMBus whatever.... however all my hardware is AMD.

When my system resumes from S3, the 21" CRT I own has been uninstalled from device manager and reinstalled with a generic non plug and play driver.
    This indicate a problem with PnP device detection, the GPU isn't communicating the display info to Windows.

It can also happen without enering S3 state, the monitor goes into power save mode and won't wake up again with the mouse movement.

Again caused by the GPU, only this time it's not talking to the monitor.

18. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    This is right.. support is there, even if serious bugs exist and haven't been fixed yet! ..:stewpid:

I am a Manhattan series 5xxx/6xxx human rights activist ; )

:rock:

19. Yahyoh

Yahyoh Member

GPU:
    AMD 5470M
    yeah chrome already uses html5 player by default . its still happening randomly tho

20. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I know but no 1080p in HTML5 mode, at least not in firefox and palemoon.