AMD - We're Putting Finishing Touches on 300 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    But 295x2 with the hybrid cooler is rather cool. Way cooler then titan z for example. And not exactly loud, I think you are somehow confusing it to 290x

2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    The 3XX is AMD's response to the 970/980. When the 290x was released it was to compete with the 780.

3. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Ye its true..
    But 2x300W vs 2x200W in SLI or CF setups have big mean.
    Its my personal expieriences. U nt need belive me if u nt like :)
    I can tell 2x 980 MSI in SLI setup is Alot heat. For me personally - pls no more...
    Single card on reference colling. Ill be so disapointing with performance and heat. So as far only SLI or CF.. or monster like 295x2.
    But Titan-Z is 2 crazy on my pocket anyway.

But u can look in You Tube type "R9 295X2 Thermal Camera & Noise Test"
    ....Its nt hot..?

Ye, but it will be very late response. Nvidia can relase new card in near feature aswell.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  4. iPp

iPp Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290 PCS+

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Nvidia = Lying cheating, overpriced, good performers

AMD = Doesn't lie, great prices, and extremely comparable performance

There fixed that for you.

If AMD went 20nm the prices would have to go up no matter how they performed as yields on 20nm would be far too low or we would see a pushed back launch date for yields to meet their expectations.

Sorry but I strongly believe this time round with AMD jumping on HBM and having a monstrously beefy GPU with 4096 shaders (yes not confirmed we know) that AMD will be the king this time round. Even going upagainst the "mighty" GM200 core which we all know we will labelled as a TITAN gpu and marketed towards gamers gullible enough to pay $1k for it. Then we will get a cutdown GM200 as a GTX980Ti or 990.

With HBM memory interface, AMD should pull ahead massively at higher resolutions with more eye candy turned on like AA, etc.

Easily out pacing Nvidia who are sticking to the traditional GDDR5 interface which they have even stated is true as they wont be using HBM memory til the next series of GPU's.

If the AMD flagship single card R9 390X is as good as I think its going to be Nvidia can take back their 970's I brought and keep em. Even though my SLI 970's will still be more powerful than any of these cards coming out.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I find it funny that all of you are assuming this card will be priced around $500. I bet it will be around $750 with the performance that is rumoured and the new 3D memory that they are using.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Come on AMD, give us something beautiful!

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This is kind of what I am scared about.

They have this monstrous GPU, with brand spanking new memory technology that is on paper 9x faster than traditional GDDR5 interface.....

It just reeks of having a high price tag!

Yet they say that by stacking the memory it allows for less connections needed on the PCB and less circuitry means less materials and less of a headache to put together... Which should mean lower costs....

Come on AMD, surprise us even more!!

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    R&D cost. Keep in mind Nvidia redesigns there architecture with each revision and incurs more R&D cost that AMD can afford. I don't see AMD having a fire sale on this card. My guess of $750 seems reasonable in light of the licencing fees and exclusivity they have with Samsung.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a wet towel or anything just looking at this from a business standpoint.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There...fixed that for you.

AMD marketed the HD6770 as a new product, even though it was nothing but a rebadged HD5770. That's called lying....

In games using more than 512mb of ram, the GTX460 768mb was actually slower than the GTX460 1GB, but performed similarly to the GTX460 V2 1GB, which was also slower than the original at equal clocks due to the memory bus.

11. Pandelas

Pandelas Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 dual x
    Same way as amd did with the 270x, 280x series there is no point on that, i didnt see any lie. From the firt time everybody knew that there are not new cards but replacements.
    Describing rebranding as a lie, im curius to see what do you have to say about 970 fiasco?

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    According to most reviews including g3d the card stays quiet and cool... With thermal imaging

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I think it will be the usual price, 550-650 €/$, since its always 1:1.. -_-

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The HD6770 was in fact marketed as a new card. There was nothing on the packaging informing customers that they were actually buying a previous generation card. NVidia did the exact same thing with the 8800GT, rebadging it as a 9800GT and marketing it as a new card.

R9 270 series and R9 280 series aren't direct rebadges as the architecture was "slightly tweaked" to improve efficiency. But, they also don't fill the same market position as they previously did either. HD5770 and HD6770 filled the same market position and were marketed by AMD as being 2 different cards. The average user, who doesn't read product reviews, would have never known they were the same card prior to purchasing. Same with the 8800GT and 9800GT.

As for the GTX970..... NVidia lied. Plain and simple. Whether it was intentional or not is a different matter in itself. It doesn't change the fact that NVidia lied about the specs. The only reason I still own the card is because the ROP count, L2 quantity and memory "segmentation" are meaningless for my particular usage scenario.

15. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    I think it might also reduce the size of the cards

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    for real?

So they don't advertise their card correctly once, and now they are liars and cheats?

Cmon.. stop drinking the hateorade like everyone else.. its getting old.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    That does not answer my question. That only tells me your misinformation about the card according to other members and owners of the r9 295 x2. I have seen reviews of the card and I doubt it gets up to 100C on liquid cooling on high load.

18. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    i'd be amazed if AMD launches their entire 3xx lineup simultaneously but that's not gonna happen. it's called marketing strategy. they know their 3xx cards are in demand with all this hype around it. most likely the 380x will be the first batch. dont expect the 390s until at least by the end of the year or even early next year.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah it would be cool if they did that. I agree with you that their marketing strategy would come into play.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Keep your BS to yourself. I was one of the few who had actual issues, you know, like the memory not working beyond 3.5GB in some games, ever, which nVidia blame on Windows 7. At $460+ that's not acceptable.

You admittedly don't read before you talk.